Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2006, 17:40   #211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I sat inside the Zen Estilo at the Sai show room in Big Bazar (near Dadar in Mumbai). There is definitely more leg room in the front seat as compared to my Santro (2000 model). But this extra space is seemingly available because the front hood is shorter than in the Santro. Looks almost unsafe to my eyes.

The Vxi model in the show room had 155/65 R 13 tyres (I don't know if an option for tubeless tyres/alloys is offered by Maruti, but I didn't see it in this model). Apparently the Lxi model comes with 145/70 R 13 tyres.

Based on these considerations, I would go for the Santro if there were to be a lot of highway driving involved. The Zen Estilo may score for those primarily interested in city use, at least till the new Santro model is released.

Are you saying you buy a car looking at the tyres only????
Old 19th December 2006, 17:57   #212
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Are you saying you buy a car looking at the tyres only????
What made you think that? Everything else regarding Santro and Estilo has already been said -- no point in repeating all these considerations, is there? I just stated the pivotal considerations in favour of Santro for highway use as far as I am concerned. Even otherwise the Santro Xing has marginally higher power, top speed, torque and handles very well at high speeds. I don't see that the Estilo can beat the Santro on these counts as well for highway use. Others primarily interested in city use and VFM considerations plus the Maruti-Suzuki name (cleverly associated with Zen as well, a highly successful model) may prefer Estilo.

Last edited by rks : 19th December 2006 at 18:17.
Old 19th December 2006, 19:48   #213
Senior - BHPian

Never, ever go for the current Santro. It would be a worst decision. I would just recommend you a brand new WagonR.

And why is that???
Old 19th December 2006, 21:12   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Hmmm....Nice ID.

Never, ever go for the current Santro. It would be a worst decision. I would just recommend you a brand new WagonR.

The reasons why WagonR is a better option is already explained at Team-BHP. Just use the search feature.
Mithun, I am sorry, but not many folks will buy such blanket statements. I was a Santro owner previously and apart from the looks (I had the older model), I did not have to worry about anything else.

Very reliable, peppy, easy even for the very old to get in and get out, great service, good mileage all these are +ves. In comparison to other peers, it may be a touch lower on some accounts, but never, ever warrants a similar statement from you!
Old 19th December 2006, 21:34   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What made you think that? Everything else regarding Santro and Estilo has already been said -- no point in repeating all these considerations, is there? I just stated the pivotal considerations in favour of Santro for highway use as far as I am concerned. Even otherwise the Santro Xing has marginally higher power, top speed, torque and handles very well at high speeds. I don't see that the Estilo can beat the Santro on these counts as well for highway use. Others primarily interested in city use and VFM considerations plus the Maruti-Suzuki name (cleverly associated with Zen as well, a highly successful model) may prefer Estilo.
Nothing personal... Just that particular post ...

And... Didint understand... How come you know Estilo cant match santro in top speed??? And higher power??? The figures dont say that... Torque, yes... Santro has better torque.. Which makes is good for city... (Am not commenting on Santro handling on highways... IMHO, wagonR handles bit better... But... I havent had a good run in the Santro in highways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Mithun, I am sorry, but not many folks will buy such blanket statements. I was a Santro owner previously and apart from the looks (I had the older model), I did not have to worry about anything else. Very reliable, peppy, easy even for the very old to get in and get out, great service, good mileage all these are +ves. In comparison to other peers, it may be a touch lower on some accounts, but never, ever warrants a similar statement from you!
My friend has got a Santro... And its a very good car... Nothing that would make you regret at a later stage...

As for me... I considered wagonR over Santro cause my requirements were different... I wanted good comfort at the rear (Santro seats are stiff and rear shockers are stiff too), More comfort in highways (santro pedals are awkardly placed)... Good peace of mind...(Maruti service is real good here... I had no probelms at all during the 7 years i had the 800)...

But... Have to admit... Santro is more fun to drive... WagonR is not as peppy below 2k rpm... (Which makes Santro a slightly better city car, IMHO)
Old 19th December 2006, 22:01   #216
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nothing personal... Just that particular post ...

And... Didint understand... How come you know Estilo cant match santro in top speed??? And higher power??? The figures dont say that... Torque, yes... Santro has better torque.. Which makes is good for city... (Am not commenting on Santro handling on highways... IMHO, wagonR handles bit better... But... I havent had a good run in the Santro in highways)
I said Estilo cannot *beat* Santro in these parameters. I think Xing has a 1086 cc engine vs. 1062 cc for Estilo. Not much in it. I read somewhere that the eRLX version of Xing has 67 BHP power, but other sites say only 63 BHP (versus 64 BHP for Estilo). And the top speed figures for the Xing vary from 141 kmph to 150 kmph, versus 148 (?) kmph for Estilo. So you are right, not much to choose in power/top speed. Since my old Santro does 150+ (see my Avatar), I would be very surprised if the Xing cannot make this speed.

One interesting comparison is minimum turning radius: 4.6 m for Estilo versus 4.4 m for Santro. If this is correct, then quite surprising, since Estilo is the smaller car.
Old 19th December 2006, 22:57   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I read somewhere that the eRLX version of Xing has 67 BHP power, but other sites say only 63 BHP (versus 64 BHP for Estilo).
Its 63 bhp only as per the hyundai india site...
Old 21st December 2006, 05:25   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Mithun, I am sorry, but not many folks will buy such blanket statements. I was a Santro owner previously and apart from the looks (I had the older model), I did not have to worry about anything else.

Very reliable, peppy, easy even for the very old to get in and get out, great service, good mileage all these are +ves. In comparison to other peers, it may be a touch lower on some accounts, but never, ever warrants a similar statement from you!
Sorry, I've never meant to offend any Santro owners. Infact, Santro is one of my favourite cars and it's a best city car than WagonR. It's low-end torque is amazing and interiors are better than WR and the specs are almost same as that of WR.

So when compared to the similarly priced WR, it fails in 4 departments namely bad rear suspension, lack of EPS, lack of LPG option & poor resale value. That's the reason why I've recommended not to go for the current santro.
Old 21st December 2006, 13:29   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So when compared to the similarly priced WR, it fails in 4 departments namely bad rear suspension, lack of EPS, lack of LPG option & poor resale value. That's the reason why I've recommended not to go for the current santro.
@mithun : Are u saying the Santro suffers from poor resale value?? Now, that's a first ..!! As far as i know, Santro fetches a pretty decent value in terms of resale.
Old 21st December 2006, 13:38   #220
elf
BANNED

Wow! Love this thread. Zen Estilo Launched it says, & it's taken 14 odd pages for everybody to start the Estilo v/s WagonR v/s Santro bashing.

Surprisingly, nobody's mentioned anything about their 1992 Tata Indica diesel which has never failed & has not cost a rupee in spares & service, never had an oil change, & consistently given a mileage of 97 km/litre.

This is terrible - what is the world coming to...?
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:03   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Wow! Love this thread. Zen Estilo Launched it says, & it's taken 14 odd pages for everybody to start the Estilo v/s WagonR v/s Santro bashing.
Well, I m not sure why you feel this is a bashing going on, nevertheless i found another really useful thread for the same 'bashing' if you may call it but with much more information. Have a look, i think this is the longest thread of messages I ve ever seen so far!

Prakash Advani’s Blog » Blog Archive » Hyundai Santro Vs. Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R

Its a nicely maintained page though.
Old 23rd December 2006, 11:10   #222
BHPian

Well these problems arise when we want to have only 1 car in our family. With many families now going in for multiple cars, these kind of issues are history for them. They get the best out of each car. But still Suzuki Japanese technology is always superior to Hyundai Korean and American technologies. After all everybody are still seeing 1990s Maruti 800s running on the streets, which itself talks about the reliability of these Japanese Engines. Since Maruti is not changing engines, hence the reliability of the Estilo remains as good as others. However the engine hood compartment could have been longer.
Old 23rd December 2006, 14:46   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Sorry, I've never meant to offend any Santro owners. Infact, Santro is one of my favourite cars and it's a best city car than WagonR. It's low-end torque is amazing and interiors are better than WR and the specs are almost same as that of WR.

mithun, comments made by you are based on? rumours? or from your experience?

now, tell me

why you need EPS? and as if maruti's eps is perfect

lack of lpg? ,matter of time or get it done by a professional guy , yah you kill warranty

poor resale? hello!!!

this is a public forum and hence would suggest that dont mislead others. I have been following your other threads and post and from these I would suggest that you post from experience and not based on rumours

back to topic:

that insect of a machine looks yuck! estello, yuck. Like a prematurly born innova. eeekkkk

Last edited by jkdas : 23rd December 2006 at 14:47.
Old 23rd December 2006, 14:49   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post

Surprisingly, nobody's mentioned anything about their 1992 Tata Indica diesel which has never failed & has not cost a rupee in spares & service, never had an oil change, & consistently given a mileage of 97 km/litre.

This is terrible - what is the world coming to...?
typo?

and sumo also sold well.
Old 23rd December 2006, 15:02   #225
Senior - BHPian

Alright....have driven the Estilo for a few hundred kilometers in the last couple of days.

Here are a few observations.

Looks

Subjective, but personally don't think its ugly.

Ride & Handling

Its a tall boy with small tyres, don't expect much, but betters the wagon R in both handling and ride.

Build Quality

Feels tinny, typically japanese. Let down after the swift.

Engine & Gearbox

Performance is adequate for the city...definately not the highway, overtaking needs planning. Gearshift quality not upto the standards. Feels just a bit better than the Wagon R.

Summary
Its a good city car, will also sell in reasonably good numbers. But has lost the charm of the old zen.

Last edited by drifter : 23rd December 2006 at 15:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed