Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 08:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dzire is the 'National Car' now. If Maruti were to just concentrate a little more on the Dzire it is probably capable of outselling the 2nd placed Hyundai's entire portfolio.On a serious note I don't think it will sustain this momentum and will settle at around 20k.

Maruti has locked out the top with 8 of their models selling ahead of the closest Hyundai. Swift at around 12k for a decade old model. Expect the new Swift to head straight for 25k once launched.

The last time we will see Chevy on our charts. Good bye.

Thought Jeep had a capacity for a 100 Compass per day. Since they haven't started exports, what's with the remaining 1000 dispatches.

Fiat will get killed internally. With Compass doing well, FCA may just concentrate on it and probably the Renegade.

I thought Hyundai had produced 8k Vernas before launch? So the entire production hasn't been dispatched? Logistics probably.

Nice to see Octavia and Superb doing decent numbers.

Decent and consistent numbers by the Kwid. I guess they can't sell more than this due to limited sales points unlike a Maruti.

WRV seems as consistent as the City. Honda should now look at the HRV to keep up the momentum.

If you remove the Datsun Redigo from Nissan, they seem to be down in the dumps.

Finally this total boost in sales could be due to the 10% increase expected today. Have we just seen an early Diwali this year?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 23:52   #62
BHPian

Re: August 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya for monthly sales and analysis for Aug 2017.

1. First thing to caught the attention is the whopping number of Dzires sold - 30,934 units, its all time best. The last and only car to sell more than 30K units was Alto, way back in Jun '14 when it sold 30,499 units. But Alto had sold consistently above 30K units before 2012.

2. And the second thing is that Chevrolet is finally shut shop in India, dispatching their final batches it seems.

3. Another car to hit the all time high this month is Tiago. Along with Hexa (incidentally which again sold its best ever numbers), Tiago is bringing very good numbers to the renewed Tata, although Tigor seems to be tapering off after the initial hype. Fingers crossed for Nexon launch!!! And it's time to kill Indica and Indigo, who had lost their taxi market share to other competitors like Dzire, Xcent, Etios.

4. Compass has breathed life into the FCA India, which has now taken the bold decision to scrap its 1.3 MJD engine supply to others.

5. Ignis seems to have settled around 4K numbers, Grand i10 is doing well with 12K every month. KUV 100 has hit its lowest ever - the new launches like Ignis, Tiago have taken toll on this car.

6. Baleno, now, has established itself as the segment leader while i20 also doing extremely well with over 11K units almost every month.

7. The all new Verna started with very good numbers, but City and Cias has increased their numbers further more (even Rapid and Vento has positive growth this month), which points in the direction that this segment is finally showing some growth after the onslaught from the SUVs and wannabe ones.

8. Brezza and Creta numbers has similarity between Baleno and i20 numbers, where Brezza has established a clear lead over Creta now - although both are in different segments altogether size and price wise. TUV 300 seems to doing steady numbers of 2K which is good of M&M.

9. Finally, Honda found one more car (other than City), which can sustain the good numbers after initial hype, in the form of WR-V. Remember Amaze was doing steady numbers for close to 2-3 years after launch earlier which had pushed Honda up the charts during 2014-15 period.

10. XUV 500 has sold close to 3K units after a very long time - need to see whether this trend will continue or will again settle at 2K units.

11. Superb is continuing its dream run, infact outselling its younger sibling Octavia . Talking of which Corolla, Elantra and Octavia comibined together and sold more than 1000 units for the 2nd consecutive month.
jpcoolguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 00:22   #63
BHPian

The garnering of top six positions by Maruti Suzuki speaks volumes about the goodwill the company enjoys and also about the aggressive marketing it indulges in.

1. It is not surprising to see the New Dzire crossing the 30k mark given the fact that the vehicle has made deep inroads into the hearts of its customers due to its excellent performance and features, which are more than enough to give luxury cars a run for their money.

2. Alto as usual remains the first choice of every prospective entry level car buyer. This car has been the bread and butter for the company due to its consistent sales throughout.

3. Baleno at third spot is emerging as the new heartthrob of the nation. Due to its sheer looks and styling it has become an instant hit among the youth.

4. Vitara Brezza is fast catching up with its competitors and its sales figures are expected to rise exponentially once the production catches up with the demand. With their increasing deliveries Brezzas are making their presence felt on the roads in a big way.

5. Despite being extremely popular models both Wagon R and Swift have shown some downward trend largely due to shifting of customer preferences, especially in case of Swift the focus of prospective customers has shifted towards New Dzire but nonetheless they still hold enormous potential for the company. With New Swift slated for launch next year, it will surely bring in the desired turnaround.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 11th September 2017 at 00:23.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
That's probably the highest any model has managed to sell in a month or has Alto surpassed 30K earlier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
I don't remember any other car crossing 30k mark in past.
The last and only car to sell more than 30K units was Alto, way back in Jun '14 when it sold 30,499 units. But Alto had sold consistently above 30K units before 2012 - 32965/32909/35245 in Jan/Feb/Mar 2012 and 33118/33015/38065 in Jan/Feb/Mar 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I know most of these Dzires would be cabs; I know these are not actual retail sales and I know they might be stocking up for the festival season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I'm very curious what fraction of the Dzires went to the taxi market. The number of Tours would be suggestive, but non-Tour DZires seem popular as taxis too. The boom in app-based cabs, plus the decline of Indica/Indigo, could be a factor in the high Dzire numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Actually this is a point that struck me as well. I see that a huge percentage of Ubers in town here comprises of Dzires. One in every two I would guess (or maybe more). I presume there is no way to pull out figures of Tour (Dzires)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Wish there was a way to check the Dzires by taxi and non taxi purchases. I'm sure the Ola and Uber brigade is responsible for this pre GST surge.
Earlier, Maruti used to provide the number of Dzire Tours sold which usually in the range of 3500-4000 for the previous gen. But, it seems nowadays this split-up is not being provided, however, it is fair to assume that the number should be close to 5K every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Many are rushing to buy their cars before the GST cess, which is likely to be announced by next month.

If so - probably we should have a comparatively dull festive season this year.
But a 2% hike in Mid Size sedans should calm down few anxious buyers who have booked and are waiting for the newly launched Verna, since the hike may be around 15K-25K finally.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:46   #65
BHPian

Revenue Calculation have been done for this month and have been posted here.

Top-25 Cars based on Revenue:

August 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25-cars-revenue-aug-17.png

OEM Market Share - in terms of Revenue:

Name:  OEM Market Share  Aug 17.png
Views: 5343
Size:  24.7 KB
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 16:07   #66
BHPian

Guys, any idea about Isuzu no.s?

I am contemplating the MU-X but without the team-bhp review, no idea about it at all. Its not being covered else where too.

Been waiting for the MU-X and Tiguan reviews for >3 months now.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:34   #67
BHPian

FCA will focus on Jeep now for sure!
S Cross' dispatches drastically dropped due to facelift being round the corner. I really hope customers will surely appreciate the car's potential this time and it will bounce back with a bang with those X1 looks that Indian's want. Truly a great car indeed!!
Old 21st September 2017, 17:32   #68
BHPian

Thanks for the data and the analysis

I am struck by the fact that for Mahindra Bolero>Scorpio>XUV>TUV.

Seems to be that the newer the model, the less accepted / competitive it is.

M&M seems to be the biggest loser of the Vitara / Creta onslaught.
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:53   #69
BHPian

Looking at the C2 graph, I feel there are too many segments clubbed all together. We have the sub-4m crossovers, the mid-sized sedans as well as the full blown UVs like the Safari all clubbed together.

Just a thought, but would it be possible to segregate them? That would provide more insights into this theatre!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks