Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2017, 13:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Almost a whitewash by Dzire in C1 segment; rest of C1 models are just 46.5% compared to Dzire.

Name:  DzireAug17.PNG
Views: 10634
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by sukiwa : 6th September 2017 at 13:21.
sukiwa is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Whats interesting is that if we look past the mountain that the Dzire has made, Tigor is #3 in the C1 segment. Selling more than Amaze, Aspire, Ameo and fellow stablemate Zest.

Similarly, Tiago is #3 in the B1 behind very established players like WagonR & Celerio. There is hope that with further push it may become the #2 swapping places with Celerio.

Similarly, Hexa is #3 in D1 and is a very competent vehicle.

Tata should definitely go in all guns blazing into these segments.

Verna has a good opening month but is still behind it's chief competitors - both City & Ciaz have better numbers.
blackasta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:46   #18
BHPian

31k Dzires ?! That's just 15k short of the net sales of 2nd top manufacturer in the sales chart. Or in other words, Dzire and Baleno alone outnumbers Hyundai's net monthly sales. Quite hilarious but true ! And the brunt of that is clearly seen in the plummeting numbers of Amaze and Aspire. Maruti and its juggernaut is only capable of writing and rewriting its own history time and again !

BTW, 2.9 lakh sales 2nd month in a row only gets to the point that the market is sure expanding and that's good news for all the car makers investing in the country. While Compass's sales are still on a ramp-up, I'm excited to see where these numbers would start settling down to, and if it swallows XUV 5OO, I'm not surprised !

48 dispatches of S-Cross indicate facelift is right around the corner?

Can the Verna facelift give sleepless nights to Ciaz & City? Only time will tell.

Last edited by vvijay : 6th September 2017 at 13:48.
vvijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the Dzire numbers are pretty much an achievement, somehow I am not seeing those many Dzires on the roads. Mind you I travel across Bangalore everyday, and sometimes all around it. Not sure where these many cars are going to. But in a few days, there will be an outbreak of Dzires() on the roads. I cant think of what kind of a hit the Swift will be once the facelift is launched. Time to buy more shares of Maruti
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
30934 Dzires in August
31 days in August-That's close to 1000 Dzires a day!
2050 Sales outlets-That's an average of more than 15 Dzires a month across all outlets
The Darshini hotel across the street near my home might sell as many idlis for breakfast
I was seeing the comparison. I think we can put up a thread full of such comparisons to the numbers dished out by Maruti. They can put the numbers of competition to shame. Sadly, these numbers have totally spoilt their service network. Service centers are getting more crowded, more money minded than ever and maintenance costs are no longer cheap by any means.

And for the sake of trivia, I think this is the first time a D1 segment sedan(Cruze) had more dispatches than its younger sibilings. Guess those cars are the last remaining ones in their stock.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:57   #20
BANNED

• Chevrolet is down and out. RIP.
  • Ecosport keeping its fort even after the WR-V launch. The only ever-green model for Ford. All others - Figo, Endeavour, Aspire show vast fluctuations during their entire period of existence.
  • WR-V at 5K levels is a good sign for Honda. Can it be the second model from Honda after City to show sustained volumes?
  • Verna has started well. And the regular front runners i10, i20 and Creta are able to keep the 5-digit sales. Good going.
  • Jeep Compass - my love. You brought some SUV looks to the industry! Hope they can survive on this single model. A 10L Renegade will be another super hit, IMO.
  • Scorpio - another evergreen model. But they need to clean their stable. Replacing Xylo with new MPV and stopping Nuvosport, Verito, Vibe and Rexton may help in better operations.
  • Competition is making Maruti stronger. All who predicts their downfall after each launch from competitors, can sit back and think. But Maruti, we - some enthusiasts - are also here.
  • Gypsy at 900 levels! New Jimny can then do 2-3K levels, IMO.
  • Nissan, are you eager to follow the footsteps of Chevrolet? If not, please bring the new Micra and some new cars to your showrooms.
  • Hope Renault can concentrate on Kwid and Duster, and keep refreshing it to maintain the volume. Lodgy, Scala, Pulse? Can some one help me to see them on road?
  • Tata also need to stop producing some duds to bring that young look for their line-up. Concentrate on Nexon, Tigor, Tiago and Hexa. And bring a good replacement for Sumo!
  • Innova may find a good competitor in Compass when private sales are considered, IMO. And don't you have something presentable than the Etios twins?
  • Toyota, don't wait endlessly... The government anyway won't bring a rule to launch Avanza here!
  • VW, please bring a good compact SUV from your international range.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 6th September 2017 at 14:19.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:03   #21
BANNED

Dzire at 30k!! No wonder Maruti is looking to axe the Baleno RS, who would want to block an assembly line for a model that sells so little as compared to the sister on the same platform. Just hope it translates into lesser wait times.

Ecosport and Tiago showing strong sales in their segments. Good to see that good products are gaining traction, no matter the image that the brand is stuck with.

And other brands clearly need a wakeup call. A 30 lac fortuner is selling more than a 6lac etios and similar story for the Hexa vs Bolt. A brand needs to wake up and correct their offerings in keeping with the market trend and levels.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
30934 Dzires in August
31 days in August-That's close to 1000 Dzires a day!
2050 Sales outlets-That's an average of more than 15 Dzires a month across all outlets
The Darshini hotel across the street near my home might sell as many idlis for breakfast
Every alternate day a Dzire is sold in all sales outlets! So, next target for MS would be 1 Dzire every day across all outlets!
I know most of these Dzires would be cabs; I know these are not actual retail sales and I know they might be stocking up for the festival season. Staggering numbers nonetheless!

Such a huge difference between the market leader at 52% and the next player at 16%!
These are probably retail sales. Maruti had stopped production of old gen DZire in advance. I bought a Wagon R around the time DZire was launched. I visited 4 dealerships in a 50 km radius. None of them had the old model on hand. Swift, Alto, DZire supplies are like groceries, delivered fresh as soon as manufactured and unsatiable demand. There were atleast 20 Swift's in stock without discounts. The dealership I bought were allotted 13 Dzires on launch and they were sold out before any test drive vehicle arrived. Even after a month there was no vehicle on display, there is actually a shortage of DZires.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2017 at 11:42. Reason: Formatting
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Third straight flat zero sale month for HM-Mitsubishi, wonder what they are upto and how their scant network of dealerships is managing to stay afloat.
HM did sell 63 Pajeros (Check Rank 17). Wonder why it is not listed in our report.

August 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-11.jpg

http://www.autopunditz.com/
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:00   #24
BHPian

SUV sales numbers after the launch of Jeep Compass ( Segment below & Segment above )

1. CRETA ---> July = 10,556 units. August = 10,158 units. Drop of 3.8%

2. DUSTER ---> July = 1210 units. August = 1402 units. Increase of 15.9%

3. XUV ---> July = 2282 units. August = 2969 units. Increase of 30.1%

4. HEXA ---> July = 1564 units. August = 1715 units. Increase of 9.7%

5. Fortuner ---> July = 3444 units. August = 2116 units. Drop of 38.6%

6. Endeavour ---> July = 1030 units. August = 1163 units. Increase of 12.9%

NOTE:

I have excluded Sub-4 meter SUV's ( Brezza, Ecosport, WRV, TUV 300 ) and low volume SUV's ( Tucson & Tiguan ).

Interestingly, although Jeep Compass started really well ( 2020 units in August ), it has little or no impact on other SUV's, at the moment

This is just a beginning. We need to see how the numbers stand in the coming months. Specially after the launch of Renault Captur.
RAHS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Figo Brothers have lost their steam, and even the recent S versions have seemed to have failed to make a dent.

Extreme performance by MSIL offerings like DZire, Brezza.

Verna numbers are looking good for now, but we will have to wait for a few months to see if the initial euphoria lasts or not.

Hexa seems to be doing consistent near 2000 units month on month. Not bad!

Solid show by Tiago brothers, with ~9000 sales!

Meanwhile, below is a list of cars which should be either discontinued or refreshed, due to their dismal sales, considering the segment they are from.
- NuvoSport (19 units)
- verito (60 units)
- Indigo/Manza (50units)
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:39   #26
BHPian

• Crazy Dzire numbers. I'm yet to see a new one on the road in Chennai though.
  • Honda as I said last month, appear to be doing moderately well. I predicted that their immediate target is 3rd in market share and they surely are creeping up slowly. Mahindra is so so near to beat (backed by aging Scorpio and Bolero)
  • WR-V is a hit against all the odds. Jazz has hit a steady number because of WR-V.
  • City seem to be keeping up well.
  • Tata need to sell more than 1.7k Hexas but it's growing. Hope GST cess doesn't slow its momentum.
  • Nissan really need to find a strategy to remain in the market.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 6th September 2017 at 15:41.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:18   #27
BHPian

Skoda is the biggest gainer on a YoY basis!
I must say they have of lately sprung into great momentum via regular car launches, updates, better service and overall satisfaction.
I think with the current (and upcoming) profile, especially with the new Fabia in India, they could outsmart their parent company.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2017 at 11:44. Reason: typo
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
HM did sell 63 Pajeros (Check Rank 17). Wonder why it is not listed in our report.

Attachment 1672994

http://www.autopunditz.com/
BMW actually has a lot of bookings for the new 5 series but no cars to deliver. They miscalculated the demand for the 530D and have huge stocks of 520D instead. 530D deliveries are expected only in Dec/Jan for bookings taken in July/August. Big blunder by BMW. Not only will they lose out on customers who do not want to wait so long, the revised Cess will hit existing bookings and may lead to further cancellations.
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

~31k Dzires in a month. Time to give hefty bonuses to the factory employees, may be gifting an Alto 800 would be a good idea.

Jokes apart, I have seen numerous new gen. Dzire's, albeit in taxi avatar, which is a little surprising though.
Old 6th September 2017, 19:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
SUV sales numbers after the launch of Jeep Compass ( Segment below & Segment above )

1. CRETA ---> July = 10,556 units. August = 10,158 units. Drop of 3.8%

2. DUSTER ---> July = 1210 units. August = 1402 units. Increase of 15.9%

3. XUV ---> July = 2282 units. August = 2969 units. Increase of 30.1%

4. HEXA ---> July = 1564 units. August = 1715 units. Increase of 9.7%

5. Fortuner ---> July = 3444 units. August = 2116 units. Drop of 38.6%

6. Endeavour ---> July = 1030 units. August = 1163 units. Increase of 12.9%

NOTE:

I have excluded Sub-4 meter SUV's ( Brezza, Ecosport, WRV, TUV 300 ) and low volume SUV's ( Tucson & Tiguan ).

Interestingly, although Jeep Compass started really well ( 2020 units in August ), it has little or no impact on other SUV's, at the moment

This is just a beginning. We need to see how the numbers stand in the coming months. Specially after the launch of Renault Captur.
Good point but then look at it this way that with only around 50 dealerships across the Nation, Jeep managed to sell 2K units as compared to 10K of Creta which has nationwide coverage.

I dont know from which pie that 2K Compass number came. We dont get to see city wise sales which would have given some picture if Compass has affected Creta numbers (Talking about Creta Since Compass was compared with it since some months here) in metro cities.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed