Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 15:54   #46
BANNED

Re: August 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Yes, that's right. Didn't realize. Though I still can't get my head around on this because 98% fall is really-really huge, particularly for Maruti's standards. 1.6 engine getting discontinued in India might have also added to its woes.
Keep in mind these are dispatches to dealers, not sales. Probably manufacture ceased earlier and this is leftover factory inventory.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 17:53   #47
BHPian

With reports suggesting that the Compass has already managed to garner over 10k bookings, expect to see a significant change in the SUV charts from next month onwards. Considering the positive feedback from both, the media and the market, the Compass could settle for around 3-4k units a month - something that would give FCA a really solid foothold into the market and put other Jeep products on the fast track.

Of course, that would be dependent on the long-term reliability and feedback on the after sales service setup of the brand but this could be an extremely interesting development. (Provided there are no more dampeners in the form of extra levies added to our already idiotic GST rates)

PS. Does anyone have any data about how Isuzu is faring? Another company with very competent products but whose sales seem to be shrouded because of the overall uncertainty with regards to the long-term serviceability of their UVs.
Batfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 18:11   #48
Team-BHP Support

Innova and Fortuner low numbers are not because of the shortage of demand but because of low production. Remember, Toyota had very low dispatches in the month of June due to GST and then the bumper month of July. Since they were holding large inventories in May they must have reduced production targets. During mid of past month when everyone started buying cars due to the imposition of cess, Toyota must have been short of kits. I am sure they could have made 3-4 times sales in August had they any vehicles. I personally know of 2 persons who picked Endeavour over Fortuner just because there were no deliveries from Toyota.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th September 2017 at 18:13.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:03   #49
BHPian

30k+ deliveries for any car is phenomenal. Alto continues its steady run and the threat posed by Kwid seems to have subsided to the extent that it will not surface again. Baleno and Vitara Brezza have been blockbuster success from MSIL and continue their steady run. Hyundai tri-devatas i10, i20 and Creta continue their steady sales.

Jeep is surely picking up lots of customers because of its styling and driving manners. Toyota continues its lead in Fortuner and Innova.

But MSIL having 52 percent market is NOT right. We need more competition and equitable sales distribution.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Tata should definitely go in all guns blazing into these segments.
It also proves that our market is maturing.

The Hexa, the Tiago and the Tigor are competent products. But none of them are bargain priced. Yet they manage to sell in good numbers shows the buyers' appreciation of the strength of those products. More and more people are willing to look past the perceived Tata "baggage" and appreciate a good product for what it is. Tata no longer need to sell on "low price" alone and can very well be in the "value" game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I personally know of 2 persons who picked Endeavour over Fortuner just because there were no deliveries from Toyota.
The Innova and Fortuner have availability constraints. This "cess fear" has people queuing up to make their purchase before the tax is increased. I asked about a Fortuner last week only to be quoted a "upto 3 months" waiting period. Worse, dealers are apprehensive that their service facilities are stretched to the maximum.

Anyhow, I am glad to see the Endeavour selling at 1,000+ units. A good product needs to succeed. Ford seem to have finally managed to overcome availability constraints.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 22:09   #51
BHPian

Looks like the mission of bringing in the new Dzire before Swift is successful. New swift may have cannibalized the sales of the Baleno to some extent which is already performing well and has good backlog till date resulting in pretty long waiting periods. Though price ranges cannibalize, but intra-segment cannibalization is more evident. This probably may be a record in itself.

Was wondering the other day, it has been quite some time the Tigor has launched, but not enough sightings on the streets. Tigor sightings in my city have been as exclusive as Jeep Compass sightings (Jeep doesn't have a dealership in the city itself!), but saw quite many Dzires within such a short span of launch and such long waitings.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 07:41   #52

OMG!!

That's the first reaction I had when I saw Dzire's figures. 30k+ dispatches in a single month is commendable, soon we will see Dzire everywhere. Competitors have to something extraordinary to at least catch up with half of the numbers.

It seems consistently Datsun is doing good as compared to parent NISSAN.

What has happened suddenly to S-Cross figures?? Why such dip??

Renault numbers have increased with KWID, would love to see when Captur comes though it will have strong competition too.

Has Chevrolet stopped production and packed their bags??
shagils is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 09:31   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagils View Post

What has happened suddenly to S-Cross figures?? Why such dip??
Only natural, since the facelift is getting launched later this month.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 09:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

I personally want Jeep to do well. Not because I like the compass, but in hope that they localize higher percentage of their production in India and the Wrangler becomes more affordable some day.

Dzire numbers are really surprising. I personally dont like the current design over the last model. Dont know what's with the toning down on design nowadays to provide a more mature look. First the Safari, then the XUV, then the Fortuner and now this one. I wish organization retain the aggressive designs which made the models successful / legendary.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 09:47   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Although initially, I went 'wow' on seeing the Dzire numbers, after giving some thought, not very surprising. The previous iteration- even though was dated and to put it nicely 'not so great looking' easily managed upward of 15-16K consistently.

It looks much nicer now, better loaded with features and most importantly has all combinations, petrol and diesel in both AT and MT.

If I was in the market for a compact sedan, would definitely have the new Dzire on my shortlist, would never even have considered the previous one. Another 10,000 serious buyers with the same thought and the 30K is a walk in the park for Maruti.

Of course, with September being a festive month, Maruti may have proactively dispatched larger numbers to meet the demand expected this month.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 12:58   #56
BHPian

Wish there was a way to check the Dzires by taxi and non taxi purchases. I'm sure the Ola and Uber brigade is responsible for this pre GST surge.

Similarly, the app based self drive companies too would be buying in bulk, especially the Ciaz, Scorpio and XUV. With so many new drivers on road, driving standards will be sure to get worse.

Be safe everyone.
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 13:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Holy hell !! 30,000 Dzire's in a month! But with sales like this, our streets are soon going to be flooded with these Dzires.
You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Nearly 31,000 DZires dispatched in the month of August alone? That particular chart has the DZire line blasting through the roof!
The sky is the limit?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
30934 Dzires in August
31 days in August-That's close to 1000 Dzires a day!
2050 Sales outlets-That's an average of more than 15 Dzires a month across all outlets
1000 Dzires a day, ask Fiat, what they do in a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Dzire at 30k!! No wonder Maruti is looking to axe the Baleno RS, who would want to block an assembly line for a model that sells so little as compared to the sister on the same platform. Just hope it translates into lesser wait times.
Axing the RS possibly, if we continue to look at 30K+ month after month!

Folks, a perspective into the unbelievably crazy numbers of 31K that Dzire has clocked for the month of August 2017!
  • The new Dzire was launched mid-May 2017. Though May would have seen partial dispatches of the new copies from the fatory to the dealers, full dispatches were to happen in June 2017.

• Come June, mid way, there came reports that the deliveries to customers and dispatch to dealers were both put on hold, reason: Maruti replacing Steering assembly in the new Dizre
    Refer Team-BHP news here: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...bly-2017-dzire

• That means, the month of June also possibly did not see the planned level of dispatch to dealers. Identifying the faulty lot, procuring the replacement components and carrying out the replacement of the steering assembly would have put the brakes through July. As a result, August apparently, was the first clean month for the new Dzire.

• The monthly copies were built in those respective months of June and July, just that the dispatches were backlogged (partially only I feel, that's why June and July still had dispatches) to take care of the replacements, and then August sees a monthly dispatch + 2 months of backlog. The waiting period was anyways there, and when extra copies were made available to the dealers, they just went ahead with their delivery backlogs.
What this means to me is, possibly September might also see some crazy numbers, but beyond that, the Dzire would probably be doing about 21-24 K copies per month. And this would mean the new Dzire starts with a jump of 6-8 K from where the old Dzire left!

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:54   #58
BHPian

31k+ Dzire in one month! Surely maruti has got all its notes right with the new Dzire.
And with the baleno and brezza making their competitors bite the dust Maruti has surely extended its dominance in the market across the segments.
Its finally nice to see FCA getting a good response for a new vehicle. Is it the turning point for them?? I sure hope it is...
Old 8th September 2017, 22:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

30K is huge nodoubt but I thought there was a fairly big backlog which they cleared. We need to watch the numbers this and the next month to see where it stabilizes.
That said, the car has evolved very well!

Verna is back in a big way too! I am hoping it will also hit 7000 copies soon!
Old 8th September 2017, 22:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

It would be quite interesting to note how the Swift dominance has been overtaken by the likes of Brezza, Baleno and Dezire. Of course it may not be the same customer heading to a different Maruti product. But it is still interesting to see how other products have overtaken the Alto and Swift.

Will wait to see how the new Swift answers to its siblings in the showroom!

On other Maruti front : S-Cross coming down is dramatic. Sign of the face lift coming in. Even Ignis seems to be doing OK.

Verna is a strong entry. Lets see how long it holds against the City and Ciaz.

Jazz seems to be doing OK. Would like to know which one sells? The petrol AT or the diesel?

Chevy can as well be taken out of the chart

Tiago definitely looks good. But Tigor: It may not be its problem. Just bowing to the eventual winner (Dezire)

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2017 at 23:05.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks