Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 12:02   #436
BHPian

Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
That's a nice piece of news. However, while going through the Delhi Traffic Police FB page, I saw pictures of a lot of cops riding without helmets and / or 'tripling' on their bikes. I wonder, why Mr. Satyendra Garg does not post pictures and comments of how those law-breaking cops were dealt with. It seems he only has a personal grudge against the 'boss' number plates, no?
Gooney,

Mr. Stayendra Garg has published the photographs of 2 traffic constables, who took bribe from a car owner. Both were called by him in his office and he took their snap and uploaded on his page. There have been other instances also where traffic cops have been suspended for taking bribes. And such news have also been published in Delhi newspapers. I could not find the link where he uploaded the snap of his own men. But there are links where it is proved that he is working to improve the system:

Taking picture of vehicle must before towing - Times Of India

Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed

JCP: Head constables cannot stop commercial vehicles - Express India

THIS IS TOTALLY... | Facebook

Unauthorised bus operations: 2 suspended - Indian Express

Don’t talk on cellphone on duty, women traffic cops told - Indian Express

Even politicians and Sr. Govt. Officials in Delhi (MPs, MLA etc.) are upset over the red beacons removed form their cars in the past few months. Now the Delhi Govt. is looking for an approval from union Home Ministry for more official red beacon users. Read the news here:

Give us back our red beacons, say officers - Indian Express

Don't know how is he able to work like this and that too in the capital where every second person is a VVIP.

He is proving that if the law is enforced properly then nobody is above law.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 14th July 2011, 12:19   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Sorry to knock you off your high horse here but special numbers (as distinct from fancy fonts) are legally SOLD by the RTO here in Pune at a fixed price of between 3,000 to 1,00,000. (Link). The RTO calls them "attractive numbers".
I bought my Vento number at 5,000/- from the MH12 RTO. It is 55XX format, similar to 55YY on my Swift, which I bought used. I like that my numbers get me some attention, and maybe someday I'll have a 5 series with 5555 .
I didn't bribe anybody- just paid my dealer who dealt with the RTO himself, for a small fee- and am still on the (legal) plates that my dealer fixed. Will change to high-security plates sometime soon.
I like that RTOs have wisened up to the charm of special numbers and started generating revenue out of them. As the first post on this thread indicates, people are crazy about such things and are willing to pay huge amounts for it. I'd rather it goes into the administration's coffers than some corrupt inspector's or clerk's!
I liked my horse . On a more serious note, I am aware of certain RTO's offering fancy numbers legally. I even saw the Pune RTO notice of different numbers and their prices. It's just that, I know people around me who get the fancy numbers at no cost, because they 'know' people. I sometimes wish this wasn't encouraged.

The fancy plates like 0001 you see on white private cars with red beacons on top are nothing less than a symbol of corruption. Everybody knows that.

Deceptive fonts are a whole other story. Good to read about the bosses being a** whooped.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 13:58   #438
BHPian

[quote=ByDesign;2429568] It's just that, I know people around me who get the fancy numbers at no cost, because they 'know' people. I sometimes wish this wasn't encouraged.

If one manages to get a number ( without illegal gratification) that is NOT FOR SALE and would be allotted at the usual RTO rates and print your plates as per RTO norms, I see nothing wrong in this. And who is to decide which numbers are 'fancy'. A number could just be plain lucky for someone who believes in such things.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:58   #439
BHPian

Even I second the concept of auctioning VIP / vanity / fancy numbers. This was the funds collected so are at lease accounted for, rather than RTO officials taking bribes.

Irish: Well, I stand corrected than And thank you for the links. I am glad that Mr. Garg is executing his duties so responsibly. An example for all the government officials and even the netas.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:10   #440
Senior - BHPian

im looking for a punjab Reg number, PAR 1XXX

if anyone owns it or knows about it, please pm me.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:06   #441
BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice piece of news. However, while going through the Delhi Traffic Police FB page, I saw pictures of a lot of cops riding without helmets and / or 'tripling' on their bikes. I wonder, why Mr. Satyendra Garg does not post pictures and comments of how those law-breaking cops were dealt with. It seems he only has a personal grudge against the 'boss' number plates, no?
Quote:
Even I second the concept of auctioning VIP / vanity / fancy numbers. This was the funds collected so are at lease accounted for, rather than RTO officials taking bribes.

Irish: Well, I stand corrected than And thank you for the links. I am glad that Mr. Garg is executing his duties so responsibly. An example for all the government officials and even the netas.
Here is the latest action report from JCP Traffic - Delhi, taken against a Constable of Delhi Police:

VIP Car numbers-dp.jpg

Cheers!
Irish
Old 12th September 2011, 19:22   #442
BHPian

I am a late entrant on this and this is a huge thread, but maybe one of you can solve my query:
What is the time limit for registering a vehicle with the Mumbai RTO once you have booked and paid for a particular number? I saw somewhere on this thread that is was 6 months in some other city.
I had booked a Hyundai Verna in May 2011 but the car it delivered only today. The dealer told me that the receipt was no longer valid as it was older than a month(I had paid for the number in July as the dealer was to deliver the car). I went to the RTO central today and the inspector told me that I would have to pay another Rs. 7,500/- I asked where was the rule as it should state that on the receipt but no answer, just that it's the rule.
The irony is that the same number is yet available. Can someone shed some light?
Old 13th September 2011, 13:00   #443
BHPian

Just posting my experience:

Chennai, TN
'6' is an unlucky number for me; I am very superstitious about this. '8' on the other hand actually is not a problem for me. So, I had to take some chosen number.

I wanted the number 1908 since the digits by themselves or a straight combination of the digits yielded the birthdays of all my family members: dad, mom, sis, me, wife and daughter. The dealer said this was a very elaborate process and could take weeks. He mentioned auctions, and he said rates differ for different chassis types (mine is an SUV, so higher rates, fixed by RTO). I shot off the idea and asked what are my other options. He immediately called up his RTO contact and said the starting numbers for the next day was 3500-5000, and asked me to immediately choose a number. We shrugged and simply chose 4554 for it appeared a beautiful palindrome. He asked me for Rs. 10000 in cash. He promised an RTO bill of Rs. 8000 and the rest he said were for bribes. I paid cash and he immedately reserved the number over phone. I got the number plates the very next day (next day was registration but plates were pre-ordered) and the RTO bill.
Old 28th September 2011, 18:59   #444
Senior - BHPian

Sheer case of arrogance. Not sure what is he trying to prove and to whom
Attached Thumbnails
VIP Car numbers-341456_106152626159890_100002954586154_47353_666522354_o.jpg  

Old 29th September 2011, 09:01   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Sheer case of arrogance. Not sure what is he trying to prove and to whom
This just shows the kind of lawlessness thats prevalent in our society today and spreading rampantly. I really fail to understand these individual's logic behind breaking the law with such impunity. As if the Q5 would not have got him enough attention. I pity this guy suffering from a narcissistic attitude!
Old 24th February 2012, 10:19   #446
Senior - BHPian

Read in today's TOI that a farmer spent 12lakh for a fancy number (PB30 J 0007)for his Rs.45000 scooter in Punjab!

Edit: News follows

Man shells out 45K for scooter,12 lakh for VIP number plate
Mukesh Tandon TNN

Muktsar: A farmer from Punjabs Muktsar district shelled out Rs 12 lakh to get a VIP number plate for his scooter which cost him Rs 45,000.
Ricky Brar,a resident of Khunde Hallal village,was the highest bidder at an auction held at the local transport department office on Thursday.He secured the number PB-30-J-0003 for Rs 12 lakh at the auction.
A man sitting next to Ricky at the auction wanted the same number for his brand new Mercedes.But,Ricky out-bid him by Rs 2 lakh.Before the auction,Ricky bought a new scooter for the number.I love VIP numbers and 3 and 7 are my lucky numbers, said 28-year-old Ricky,an MBA.He also owns a Scorpio with a VIP number PB-31-F-0007.
Last week,Ricky learnt that the transport department would issue his mostawaited series of numbers.

Last edited by coolclouds : 24th February 2012 at 10:25.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:34   #447
BHPian

People are just crazy about such numbers. Further, they also try to (and many times succeed) escape traffic offences and toll because of such numbers.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:40   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Just posting my experience:

Chennai, TN
'6' is an unlucky number for me; I am very superstitious about this. '8' on the other hand actually is not a problem for me. So, I had to take some chosen number.

I wanted the number 1908 since the digits by themselves or a straight combination of the digits yielded the birthdays of all my family members: dad, mom, sis, me, wife and daughter. The dealer said this was a very elaborate process and could take weeks. He mentioned auctions, and he said rates differ for different chassis types (mine is an SUV, so higher rates, fixed by RTO). I shot off the idea and asked what are my other options. He immediately called up his RTO contact and said the starting numbers for the next day was 3500-5000, and asked me to immediately choose a number. We shrugged and simply chose 4554 for it appeared a beautiful palindrome. He asked me for Rs. 10000 in cash. He promised an RTO bill of Rs. 8000 and the rest he said were for bribes. I paid cash and he immedately reserved the number over phone. I got the number plates the very next day (next day was registration but plates were pre-ordered) and the RTO bill.
In chennai, the RTO charges 8000 for special numbers (like the palindrome) and it does not require any middle men (all our cars at home are palindrome:- 2662, 1551, 9779). The single digit numbers etc cost 25,000 after govt allotment. However since we have a person who gets it done for us(he calls us with the current running sequenace with the choices available) and we pay him service charges of 1000 Rs which is what the dealer has charged you. We then give the RTO bill to the dealer.

However the only issue with these special numbers is that your car gets noticed easily by family/friends everywhere & anywhere you go. So be prepared with you escuses if you are caught at a wrong place
Old 26th February 2012, 00:21   #449
BHPian

It's not something I paid for but got the no. 1238 for one of my cars. If anyone asks me my car's no. I quote " 1 2 3 and a straight up Infinity"
Old 26th February 2012, 01:11   #450

My two cars have special numbers BH 01 99XX and BH 01 9X9X. Not revealing what number is the X. BH 01 because my family name is Bhushan. So it kinda rhymes. :-P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks