Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:42   #481
BHPian

Re: VIP Car numbers

All my cars have 777 since our 1980s Amby. Sentimental reasons.
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:52   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well yeah but it is also illegal (in India)!
Yes. that is illegal in India, but I regularly spot Cars, specially SUV (like Scorpios) where the last four digits of registration number are written in such a manner to read 4141 as Dada in Hindi or Marathi.

There are many such combination which people specifically use to display some special words in regional language like Dada, Bhau, Sai, etc.

Though this is due to every individual's phsycological reasons, but still I find it out of logic to do all these things.

Thanks,
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:06   #483

Came across this picture on facebook.
Such number plates makes one look like an absolute moron nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
VIP Car numbers-1340181229286.jpg  

Zealot_Roadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:56   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
in Riyadh,Saudi Arabia guys who have S classes n 7ers pay for "1" number plates for as much as 120% of the car's value, means more than the cars value. And mind you these are not Royal members or oil barons, just big businessmen.
Well, you might have read a few pages back in this thread how a guy from Muktsar, Punjab got a VIP number for 12 Lakh bucks for an LML Vespa!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...umbers-30.html

120% of a vehicle's value looks pretty decent compared to what this guy did

Last edited by avisidhu : 3rd July 2012 at 14:57.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 03:49   #485
BHPian

Booked my car on Monday and expecting it to be delivered next weekend. The car will head for registration on Friday. Wanted to sort the number out today. Had gone down to the Vashi RTO. The current number going on is 4000 onwards. All the 6 combinations which I wanted were already pre-booked. Asked about getting them in the next series and I was told that only VIP numbers can now be jumped. New rules were implemented from June end. Non-VIP numbers cannot be jumped. Just wanted to cross-check this. Also, if I want to jump a series, is it 3 times the cost an official charge ?
Old 1st August 2012, 09:45   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R
Booked my car on Monday and expecting it to be delivered next weekend. The car will head for registration on Friday. Wanted to sort the number out today. Had gone down to the Vashi RTO. The current number going on is 4000 onwards. All the 6 combinations which I wanted were already pre-booked. Asked about getting them in the next series and I was told that only VIP numbers can now be jumped. New rules were implemented from June end. Non-VIP numbers cannot be jumped. Just wanted to cross-check this. Also, if I want to jump a series, is it 3 times the cost an official charge ?
Yeah I booked my no. frm the same RTO last week, when the 3000 series was on. I also wanted to jump series cos I usually get a no. starting with 1. Earlier I paid only 3k for the same no. But this time they quoted me 15k for it as an official price, cos it is considered VIP No. n not just choice no when you jump a series. The official fees for choice no. is 3k. You can take a 2wheeler series no. for a 4wheeler by paying 3times the official 2wheeler fee.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 10:05   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Yeah I booked my no. frm the same RTO last week, when the 3000 series was on. I also wanted to jump series cos I usually get a no. starting with 1. Earlier I paid only 3k for the same no. But this time they quoted me 15k for it as an official price, cos it is considered VIP No. n not just choice no when you jump a series. The official fees for choice no. is 3k. You can take a 2wheeler series no. for a 4wheeler by paying 3times the official 2wheeler fee.
Thanks for the reply mohandasnikhil ! Had been to the office twice and the guy at the counter was adamant that a choice number cant be jumped into a new series. Only a VIP can. Was quoted 22k for a number. However, I wanted a two digit number and since it wasn't a VIP number, the only option was to wait for the new series to start is what I was told.

Thanks for info about the 2-wheeler to 4-wheeler number fee. Wasn't aware that this could be done.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:15   #488
BHPian

New Delhi: Fancy registration numbers to be auctioned

The Delhi Cabinet has given the go-ahead for allotment of fancy numbers for four-wheeled private vehicles in the city through auction of available numbers in specified categories.

This would be done on a fortnightly basis and the revenue thus generated would be transferred to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund to be used for welfare purposes.

However, VIPs and officials such as judges of the Supreme Court/High Court, Lok Sabha/Vidhan Sabha Speakers, Union Ministers, Delhi Ministers, Chief Secretary, Leader of Opposition in the Vidhan Sabha, MPs/MLAs, IAS and other officers, Mayors and district and session judges of Delhi would be eligible for registration and allotment of fancy numbers for their vehicles up to a maximum of two numbers without payment of additional fee. Also, vehicle belonging to the Delhi Government and its undertakings and the Union Government and its departments would also be entitled to registration and allotment of fancy numbers without payment of additional fee.

The minimum reserve price for different categories will be as follows:
  • 0001 = Rs.5 lakh
  • 0002 to 0009 = Rs.3 lakh
  • 0010 to 0099, 0786, 1000, 1111, 7777 and 9999 = Rs.2 lakh
  • 0100, 0111, 0200, 0222, 0300, 0333 and similar numbers up to 0999, 2000, 2222, similar numbers up to 8000 and 8888, 9000, 0101, 0108, 1008 and 1313 = Rs.1 lakh
For any other specific number not mentioned in category 1 to 4 and issued from Transport Department, a MRP of Rs. 20,000 has been fixed.

Source: The Hindu : Cities / Delhi : Fancy registration numbers for cars to be auctioned now

Better late than never!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 11:27   #489
BHPian

Re: New Delhi: Fancy registration numbers to be auctioned

Very thoughtful of the govt. to provide fancy numbers free of cost to VIPs. How else could they perform their duties for the welfare of the people? Money down the drain? All for a good cause (as far as the VIPs are concerned).
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 11:45   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
However, VIPs and officials would be eligible for registration and allotment of fancy numbers for their vehicles up to a maximum of two numbers without payment of additional fee. Cheers!
Irish
Yes. That is better late than never. What is the harm to charge for fancy numbers if people are ready to pay for the same. Atleast we can hope that money will flow from rich people to government cofors.

But, I do not understand the logic behind giving fancy numbers free of charge to VIP's & Govt Officials. Why should general people pay for something that VIP' & Officials get for free. I believe this will further led to corruption where a VIP will first get fancy registration number for free & subsequently sell the vehicle to someone ready to pay for this (I mean why pay Rs. 5 lakh for 0001 number when you can get it from a VIP just by paying 2.5 lakhs).

Thanks,
Old 1st August 2012, 12:02   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Very thoughtful of the govt. to provide fancy numbers free of cost to VIPs. How else could they perform their duties for the welfare of the people? Money down the drain? All for a good cause (as far as the VIPs are concerned).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Yes. That is better late than never. What is the harm to charge for fancy numbers if people are ready to pay for the same. Atleast we can hope that money will flow from rich people to government cofors.
Thanks,
Such policies / laws are made keeping themselves in view. That's why Jantar Mantar in Delhi is becoming a hot spot now days.

This is one of the way, they can segregate themselves from normal public on roads. Just like tinted glasses and red beacon etc.

Anyhow, the government have got this new idea to get money from normal citizens.

According to them, the amount earned from here will be transferred to Chief Minister’s Relief Fund which will be used for welfare purposes. But I am not too sure as to whose welfare it will be?

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 1st August 2012 at 12:06.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:07   #492
Senior - BHPian

@ Jignesh - Once someone has a VIP number ,the owner retains it even when the car is sold. Very rarely you ll get to buy a used car with 0001 or 0008 being sold with the car. All my cars are 0005 and we retain the number when we sell our cars.Some body can sell you a 4444 or a 1234 or something similar but they are not really primespot numbers.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:15   #493
Senior - BHPian

I think the free VIP numbers are for govt owned vehicles, not their personal ones.
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:36   #494
BHPian

My Journey into Vanity Numbers and Beyond

I have a penchant for vanity numbers, but don't believe in emptying my wallet for them. So have always used some good influences and off course legit money to get XXX XXX in my cell number and XXXXX for my entire marketing team in office (10 connections in all). The other benefit is it got us a lot of branding being in the realty consulting business. People remember us for the numbers and then our website that we promote extensively

The affairs with digits started when i became the proud owner of a brand new santro in 2002. got 7777 for a 10K + 2k chai pani and it was a big amount for me those days. But still decided to spend 12k and boy was it fun. The number plate felt like a million dollars to see 7777. This new born craze started to seep into other facets of my life. A new office saw me go to MTNL top boss for some nice numbers and the guy was good enuf to allow me a sneak preview of available vanity numbers - got 289 XXXXX and 2894 XXXX, YYYY, ZZZZ.
Not that it makes you feel proud and vain and a cut above the others, but i feel its just that it makes me kinda happy to have them as my proud possession - you may call it as a hobby of collecting numbers, but then not go overboard in blowing a big hole in the pocket. For the above numbers, the only amount i paid was 1,500 to the lineman for chai pani.

Come 2008 and i got myself an Innova. The number bug bite being active, i went off to the Andheri RTO office by myself. found the guys there very professional, who showed me all the available special numbers, they call it VIP.
7777 was the obvious choice and it did not figure in the availability and then came the bomb - the cost of XXXX was not officially 50,000 and since vanity numbers were in vogue, all the XXXX numbers sell out way before launch and people use all their influence money power to block these numbers. I was told new buyers defer the car purchase dates to coincide with opening of new number series. Decided to settle for 5050 which is one of my phone n cell numbers too and looks good. Told it was gone and i have a choice to take it from other series like a Bike series and pay thrice the amount - 7,500 x 3 = 22,500. And the guy asked chai pain of 500. Wanted to get that number and get delivery of the Innova on 20th April as it was an anniversary surprise for my wife, who did not know me buying the Innova for her. So paid up and within 3 days got BF - 5050 which is actually a bike number on my Innova. SO now came to know that you can get your choicest number from other series by paying triple the amount. Another fact came to light - almost all XXXX from other series get picked up from bike series by car owners, who pay 1,50,000/- plus big time chai pain ( unto 50k). Cant blame them though - if you drive a series 5 or 7 or an S class and want to announce your arrival in style, what better way than a XXXX or XX or X vanity on your prized possession. Maybe someday when i get myself a S class or Series 7, I would budget a part of the amount for the vanity.

2010 saw me living my dream and become the proud owner of a Pearl White Hayabusa - brand new, fresh import from Japan. And what better way to honor Despoine, yes thats whats I call her. Get her a trendy looking Vanity. So its off to the RTO office, the moment I am back from Pune having paid the booking amount for the Busa. Was praying that the RTO has not jacked up the vanity prices as its been a huge money spinner for them and tribe of crazy owners like me was a growing clan. Thank Despoine's lucky stars that the rates are same. XXXX are 10,000 for bikes and 50,000 for Cars. Saw that number-1 is 25,000 for Bikes and 1,00,000 for cars. The heart wanted 1, brainy said spend 10k for XXXX and budget the 15k leftover for the exhaust change for Despoine. 25 minutes of battle within and the heart triumphs the brain and i want the Numero Uno 1. But gods have different plans for me - 1 is taken by a top shot bollywood guy for his new Busa
So i can pay 75,000 if i want Number 1 from another series. And here comes the surprise - i was told i can get any number from the auto rickshaw and taxi series by paying thrice the amount. Since Rickshaw/Cab guys dont pick up vanity numbers for affordability numbers, all the numbers right from 1 to 99 and all xxx and XXXX are available in all the current and past series also. So most of the car owners pick those up by paying triple. But i reckoned I don't want to pay 75k for 1 and decide to go for 7777 as was my Santro number
Bad Luck here too, its already been allotted just 3 days earlier. Then checked out the entire list of xxxx and suddenly see 8888 available. Like the idea of 4 Fat Dancing Ladies as the vanity for Despoine, it would compliment her BIG REAR (pun intended), specially after i remove the ugly rear fender and show off the chunky tyres. And guess what - it also complimented my cell 888 888. So asked the guy to lock the number. He says I have to pay the money, take a receipt and use the number within 30 days from that day to register. We can't walk off by blocking. So I am back to square one. Decide to wait till i get delivery of the Busa. And the Busa arrived almost after 4 weeks of that date. So it was a good decision to not take that number or it would have lapsed. Got delivery of Despoine on 11th April 2010 - a memory etched permanently for life.
Called up the dealer to enquire when can I expect the registration to be completed so that I can take a vanity number. He said it would take 2 weeks - and my biggest mistake was to believe him without cross checking the process at RTO office. After a week i went to the RTO and found that 8888 was available and paid 10k and took it. gave the receipt to the dealer so that he can register Despoine with that number. Later on, realized that no super bike had been registered at the Andheri RTO office since last 7 months as the RTO was playing extra safe by asking umpteen documents from the company and owners. They called me at least 4 times with the bike just for verification and it got on my nerves. Finally in June they registered the bike - and then i was prepared for the shock. They tell me i can't use the 8888 as the number validity was for exactly 30 days and i have to but a new number. 10K down the drain due to the inefficiency of the dealer and RTO. I asked the dealer to reimburse the amount. Luckily, had gotten pally with the top guy at RTO who called me and asked if he should wait for me to get a new vanity or just register the bike with the current number on. I went there immediately and checked for other numbers. 8888 was not available. But saw 3333 and paid 10k and took it. Then passed on this receipt to the registration guy. Imagine the horror - the RTO Clerk (read ROT guy) says he can't put any number on my Busa as it has already been entered into the system as it has been already registered with a number that was given when the document submission was done in april. My heart sank and i was praying that hope Busa is not registered with some obscure number. Viola - GOD is kind. The Busa was already marked on number BX-8888 which i had purchased earlier and since the system did not allow a change of number, even though the 30 day period for number had expired. Went to the top guy and ask what do we do ?
It was a first case for them too. They took couple of hours and agreed to refund me 10k for 3333. But since my 8888 period of 30 days was over, I had to pay 10k again for retaining 8888 as that was already put on record for the BUSA. In all a happy situation where i got 4 Fat Dancing Ladies for Depsoine and was poorer by 20k. A small price to pay for Despoine.

2012 July : I start the journey for a new car. To replace my 10 year old Santro. Did not want to let go of MA 7777 and had heard of number potability that was introduced by Maharashtra RTO. Went to the Information officer at RTO to get the correct information as none of the car dealers know about it. Here is what he had to say : The scheme was introduced last year and they did get good response from people who were sentimental about their numbers on the old cars and want to retain the old number. But after about 2-25 cases were done, the central govt scrapped the scheme for reasons unknown and Mumbai RTO stopped it. So as of now, no number potability in Mumbai. So when i sell the Santro, the number 7777 goes to the new buyer
And i have to pay 1,50,000 for a new 7777 (50k x 3) as there is only one 7777 in the new car series, which is already pre=booked due to political n financial clout.
Doesn't make sense for me to pay 1.5 lacs
So might as well settle for something XYXY or XXYY which is for 7,500/-

So that in short is my journey into the world of vanity till now
Wanted to narrate this to add value to the forum
been dabbling a lot into xxxxx cell numbers and tel numbers. so can share info on pricing of those vanities jus for academic purpose
Feedback welcome

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th October 2012 at 12:37. Reason: Only two smilies per post please.
pinnacle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 12:44   #495
BHPian

Thanks pinnacle for the excellent experience report. I was following your other thread about retaining your old number for a newer car and was disappointed to know that it has been stopped in Maharashtra.

However, one added question. If I buy a pre-owned mumbai registered car, can i reregister it for a new number of my choice? Also, what would be the charges for the same?

e.g. used car MH-01-XX-XXXX can i reregister it again as MH-01-ZZ-ZZZZ.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks