Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 19:48   #391
BHPian

Re: VIP Car numbers

Note from Mod : STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post. Please refer to our rules.

Hello Gooney (6001134)

This is the best part of English language one can offend in any which way as long as "No offence" is mentioned. Anyway I bet you've never overtaken another vehicle from the wrong side, given right of way to the correct person every single time, never crossed the red light, never answered a call while driving or checked out any message and I'm damn sure you never made a wrong U-turn either. I'm not saying you shouldnt follow the rules, of course one should. Do you? If you do; then my life long search is finally over
Anyway if you read my previous post you'll come to know that I've mentioned its against the law. I'm not encouraging it, but at the same time neither am I discouraging it. One can stay neutral, neutral is great

My quote was for people who want to do it, there might be people who might not want to give the government lacs or rupees who cant provide good roads and at the same time want to have a fancy number plate. By the way write 8055 in digital font and tell me if you can read BOSS in it and also judge if its illegal or not For all the people who are reading this let me mention it again ITS AGAINST THE LAW, It doesnt matter if its a fancy number plate or answering a call while driving or overtaking from the wrong side. Its a law and it has a purpose and one shouldnt break it.

By the way lovely example. I was laughing so hard, I almost hit another car while reading your quote on my cell phone. Oh wait did I break another law again. Just kiddin' I didnt do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
No offence, but what you are doing here, my friend, is illegal and an act of idiocy of the highest kind. You are NOT ALLOWED to make your license plates 'fancy,' let alone change it.

And how can you think 'the number plate is not as crucial as other laws.!?' The plates are the most important identifiers of a vehicle. Will you still say the same if some car with a 'fancy' number which was written to 'look like' 'fool' hit you and ran? What will you tell the cops? "A 'fool' hit me, but I swear the plates were damn cool."

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2011 at 13:27. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post. Please refer to our rules.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:57   #392
BHPian

Doctor Anurag mentioned in post number 376 that he got 4422 for his new Scorpio by pulling a few strings at the RTO. Is pulling a few strings - braking the law?

Old 27th June 2011, 21:31   #393
BHPian

IMO, the post of sreejinair is very helpful if you want to make a fancy ordinary number. He is only providing info on how one can make it special . It is the readers' decision whether or not to stylize fonts to make the number look like a four letter word.

In fact one can get the first 2 alphabets of most of the words as standard in dealerships provided they wait for the series to start. For eg. to make CLAP, one can already have DL 2 CL and then get 0049 which is actually easy to get.

Some words are good for 2 wheelers also, for eg. to make ACRE, one can have DL 9S AC & then get 0023.

Most VIP number holders omit the 000s at the start of the number & magnify the lucky digit ,which is illegal, even if it is understood that the first 3 digits are zeroes. for eg. DLxx AG 1 instead of DLxx AG 0001.

It is true that the RTO auctions special numbers as VIP numbers(Tier1). At the same time, dealerships & RTO agents withhold specific (Tier 3-4) numbers (not VIP but special) and make a quick buck(10K-30K direct) from buyers. Even if one goes the RTO way, there are quite a few palms to be greased before you find the beloved digits on the numberplate.

Last edited by JustCause : 27th June 2011 at 21:33.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:51   #394
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if its a VIP no,but since we know a guy who deals with this.
While purchasing scorpio,we asked if he can hold a decent registration number for us.
Got this for the Scorpio-HR01AA-5055.
Now,for the nano its going to be-HR01AC-5055
Paid nothing,for these.
Old 27th June 2011, 22:27   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Hello Gooney (6001134)

Anyway if you read my previous post you'll come to know that I've mentioned its against the law. I'm not encouraging it, but at the same time neither am I discouraging it. One can stay neutral, neutral is great

My quote was for people who want to do it, there might be people who might not want to give the government lacs or rupees who cant provide good roads and at the same time want to have a fancy number plate. By the way write 8055 in digital font and tell me if you can read BOSS in it and also judge if its illegal or not
Neutral, in this case, it NOT great, it is not a option. One cannot stay neutral. We have to understand the importance of following the government issued license plate template (including the font), and spread the awareness. Staying neutral in this case is as good as encouraging this potentially criminal and dangerous 'fashion.' So, digital font for 8055, although legible, is still a strict no-no.

No hard feelings brah! I really understand your passion for fonts (Its called leet, IIRC, no?)
Old 27th June 2011, 22:33   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Doctor Anurag mentioned in post number 376 that he got 4422 for his new Scorpio by pulling a few strings at the RTO. Is pulling a few strings - braking the law?
Pulling strings to get a desired number is not the topic of discussion here, and I will not comment on that. But if the good doctor, got the license plates printed as recommended by the RTO, then, yes, the plates are legal.

Get any number you want, just do not play around with the font. That's all I request.
Old 28th June 2011, 01:01   #397
BHPian

Topic of discussion in the first place is not laws you brought it in the discussion not me I was giving the thread (VIP numbers) and extension. Anyways we both know whats going on now a days and I'm neither for or against it. Per me making a fancy number plate is not important than "pulling strings in RTO" but thats just me. I might be wrong. Sorry to quote in hindi here as per one of my friend our problem is "Khoon mein hi corruption hai" and pulling a string is no different. I agree the topic of discussion is not corruption but neither is breaking the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Pulling strings to get a desired number is not the topic of discussion here, and I will not comment on that. But if the good doctor, got the license plates printed as recommended by the RTO, then, yes, the plates are legal.

Get any number you want, just do not play around with the font. That's all I request.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:03   #398
BHPian

The registration number of my Tucson is 0900 although i am not sure if this is a VIP number. Paid no premium for the number when i bought the Tuc.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:07   #399
Team-BHP Support

When I bought my car, the dealership called me and mentioned that 4000 series is running now, and I can choose a number from that. I gave 3 options, and they secured option 1 (4422) for Rs. 2000. I did get a receipt as well for the booking.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:04   #400
BHPian

We all know the famous builder in Pune whose fleet of exotic cars have the no. 0088

Must be really well connected and paying a bomb to maintain the 0088 series!
Old 29th June 2011, 08:51   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair
Topic of discussion in the first place is not laws you brought it in the discussion not me I was giving the thread (VIP numbers) and extension. Anyways we both know whats going on now a days and I'm neither for or against it. Per me making a fancy number plate is not important than "pulling strings in RTO" but thats just me. I might be wrong. Sorry to quote in hindi here as per one of my friend our problem is "Khoon mein hi corruption hai" and pulling a string is no different. I agree the topic of discussion is not corruption but neither is breaking the law
Calling 'pulling a string' to get a specific registration number which is not for sale -'corruption ' is taking things too far. Had I got a salable number for free- that would have been corruption.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:10   #402
BHPian

Following are the official charges for VIP nos. This is from the Pune RTO website.

Link : RTO, Pune

Please click on the image for a clear view.

VIP Car numbers-untitled.jpg
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:08   #403
BHPian

Thanks man I appreciate it, thats what I've been trying to say. One can still be legal and make it fancy. There are people in my city who write AAI in marathi using the number 3115. by the way AAI means mother in marathi. Same is MAMA using the number 4141. In fact writing it this way makes it almost impossible to decode what the number actually is. I'm not asking anyone to change it to a fancy font. Its just there for people who are interested. Anyway my number is MH 20 BY SOLO. Oh i mean MH 20 BY 5010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
IMO, the post of sreejinair is very helpful if you want to make a fancy ordinary number. He is only providing info on how one can make it special . It is the readers' decision whether or not to stylize fonts to make the number look like a four letter word.

In fact one can get the first 2 alphabets of most of the words as standard in dealerships provided they wait for the series to start. For eg. to make CLAP, one can already have DL 2 CL and then get 0049 which is actually easy to get.

Some words are good for 2 wheelers also, for eg. to make ACRE, one can have DL 9S AC & then get 0023.

Most VIP number holders omit the 000s at the start of the number & magnify the lucky digit ,which is illegal, even if it is understood that the first 3 digits are zeroes. for eg. DLxx AG 1 instead of DLxx AG 0001.

It is true that the RTO auctions special numbers as VIP numbers(Tier1). At the same time, dealerships & RTO agents withhold specific (Tier 3-4) numbers (not VIP but special) and make a quick buck(10K-30K direct) from buyers. Even if one goes the RTO way, there are quite a few palms to be greased before you find the beloved digits on the numberplate.
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:01   #404
Team-BHP Support

Is it legal to have the number plate with 0 prefixed - for e.g.; 0077?

Quote:
Anyway my number is MH 20 BY SOLO. Oh i mean MH 20 BY 5010
I did not know about this art of equating numbers to words. To be frank, how many will know this unless you mention it them - like in this case 5010 is SOLO
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:51   #405
BHPian

I dont know about prefixing 0's to a less than 4 digit number is legal or not. My Suzuki Access has a 3 digit number but the RTO guy prefixed it with a 0 on the paper. May be prefixing is kind of understood by the RTO and might not be illegal. Its just my thought I dont know the actual law.

You mentioned in your sentence "ART", well art it is. You asked how many will know this unless I mention the actual number. The answer is everyone will know what the number is. If you see my number plate you will say my number is 5010 but if you look carefully its SOLO as well. Download the font "milesandmilesofverticalsmiles" and write 5010 using this font and you should be able to read 5010 as well as SOLO. Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is it legal to have the number plate with 0 prefixed - for e.g.; 0077?

I did not know about this art of equating numbers to words. To be frank, how many will know this unless you mention it them - like in this case 5010 is SOLO
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks