Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:42   #406
BHPian

Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Following are the official charges for VIP nos. This is from the Pune RTO website.

Link : RTO, Pune

Please click on the image for a clear view.

Attachment 569630
And in states like Punjab, the state government is earning Lakhs of rupees by auctioning such numbers. E.g. 0001 was sold for more than 12 Lakhs in Ludhiana and the person bought this number for his new Innova.

People in states like Delhi are LUCKY, where there is no such auctions take place. People having contacts with MPs, MLAs or ministers can get the VIP numbers, free of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I dont know about prefixing 0's to a less than 4 digit number is legal or not. My Suzuki Access has a 3 digit number but the RTO guy prefixed it with a 0 on the paper. May be prefixing is kind of understood by the RTO and might not be illegal. Its just my thought I dont know the actual law.
As per the law, one can not use 77 on number plate. It should be 0077. Such numbers (like 77) were being issued when the RTOs were not computerised i.e. way back in late eighties.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:13   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont know about prefixing 0's to a less than 4 digit number is legal or not. My Suzuki Access has a 3 digit number but the RTO guy prefixed it with a 0 on the paper. May be prefixing is kind of understood by the RTO and might not be illegal. Its just my thought I dont know the actual law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
As per the law, one can not use 77 on number plate. It should be 0077. Such numbers (like 77) were being issued when the RTOs were not computerised i.e. way back in late eighties.
Thanks for the information guys. Back in the late 90s, my friend used to have a Yamaha RX100 with number ‘007’, and I used to argue with him that it’s illegal. I was thinking that it should be just 7. Now I know both of us were wrong (as the correct interpretation is ‘0007’)

Quote:
You mentioned in your sentence "ART", well art it is. You asked how many will know this unless I mention the actual number. The answer is everyone will know what the number is. If you see my number plate you will say my number is 5010 but if you look carefully its SOLO as well. Download the font "milesandmilesofverticalsmiles" and write 5010 using this font and you should be able to read 5010 as well as SOLO. Enjoy
Yes, I did mention ‘art’, because I meant it. For me anything creative is art, and reading 5010 as SOLO using a mix of capital and small letters is definitely creative. And thanks for sharing the font name. I will download and lookup some combinations

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2011 at 15:13. Reason: typo correction
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:21   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, I did mention ‘art’, because I meant it. For me anything creative is art, and reading 5010 as SOLO using a mix of capital and small letters is definitely creative. And thanks for sharing the font name. I will download and lookup some combinations
Its good to be creaive by mixing capital and small letters on paper but it's illegal to use such fonts on the number plates of the vehicles.

If you are ready to pay the 'royality' (fine) to Traffic Police on such number plates then it's okay otherwise keep the things normal.

- Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:38   #409
BHPian

One of my friends is a Fancy No: maniac

Swift VXi - KL ** - 1
Innova - KL ** - A1
Fortuner - KL ** - B1
HD 48 - KL 8 ** - 48 (Registered in nearby district to get the # 48)
i20 - KL ** - A 200 (# 120 was already issued therefore chose 200)

The money spent on these no:s in total would by a fully loaded midsize sedan!

People living around Ottapalam would be knowing this guy.

The number CAR 8055 - or CAR BOSS was my dads car for 2 months. It was a 85 or 86 model M800 but re-registered to KLW before we bought it. It had the old book type RC & that is how i found the previous no:.

The car was in a bad condition & we sold it off after finding that the car had major problems.

A big businessman in GCC/Kerala has 2-3 cars with no: KL** - AL 1. His name is Mohammed Ali. ALI=AL1

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 2nd July 2011 at 15:45. Reason: Added info
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:39   #410
BHPian

I agree with you totally, by the way can you tell me which font is the official font of the RTO. I tried looking at some official documents but couldnt find a official RTO font. I think they should come out with their own special font. I can help them with it

Quote:
Its good to be creaive by mixing capital and small letters on paper but it's illegal to use such fonts on the number plates of the vehicles.

If you are ready to pay the 'royality' (fine) to Traffic Police on such number plates then it's okay otherwise keep the things normal.

- Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:15   #411
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you totally, by the way can you tell me which font is the official font of the RTO. I tried looking at some official documents but couldnt find a official RTO font. I think they should come out with their own special font. I can help them with it

Please go through the following links. May be these can resolve all your queries on the font or size to be used on the number plates in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ence_plate.pdf
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...late-font.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ation_mark.pdf

This is the future of Licence Plate or Number Plate in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html

As of now the deadline to implement High Security Number Plates, has been extended several times. But this is due to be implemented since quite a long time so be prepared.

PS: If a person is unable to follow all the guidelines on the size of the alphabets on the licence plate then go for standard fonts otherwise expect un-necessary harrassment by the Traffic Police.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:18   #412
BHPian

Just applied mind & found out that Figo Owners can go for No:s like

KL ** AF190
KL ** FI90

KA * CF190
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:51   #413
BHPian

Any government/official link? Tried here MORTH but couldnt find anything. I dont know if thats the official government website. I'll really appreciate if you can find me a official government road transport website which mentions license plate fonts.

Quote:
Please go through the following links. May be these can resolve all your queries on the font or size to be used on the number plates in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ence_plate.pdf
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...late-font.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ation_mark.pdf

This is the future of Licence Plate or Number Plate in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html

As of now the deadline to implement High Security Number Plates, has been extended several times. But this is due to be implemented since quite a long time so be prepared.

PS: If a person is unable to follow all the guidelines on the size of the alphabets on the licence plate then go for standard fonts otherwise expect un-necessary harrassment by the Traffic Police.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 17:53   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Any government/official link? Tried here MORTH but couldnt find anything. I dont know if thats the official government website. I'll really appreciate if you can find me a official government road transport website which mentions license plate fonts.

The .pdf file links have been taken from the rulebooks published by the Govenment. Here is the link for the .pdf file (Cmvr1989.pdf) from the STA of Tamilnadu state:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Please go page 38 onwards to see the same pages as mentioned earlier:
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

Please read subsection 6 of section 41:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Mvact1988.pdf

Dimensions on the alphabets and numbers described on Punjab Government's website (Please check at the bottom of the page):
Registration - Department of Transport, Punjab Government

Traffic Police - Mumbai - Please check the penalty for Improper Number Plates:
Mumbai Traffic Police

Maharashtra Police website (Please find the word - Improper):
Welcome to MPD, INDIA !!!

Please read Page 16 here:
Traffic Rules For All including You

Quote:
Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates

The city police have asked motorists in the city to ensure that the number plates on their vehicles are displayed as stipulated in the law.
The current drive comes in the light of the difficulty in tracing vehicles involved in criminal activities. A meeting of traffic police officers convened by City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham recently discussed the issue and decided to enforce the specifications of number plates as specified in Sections 50 and 51 of the Central Motor Vehicle Act, 1989.
"The Union Government has given clear instructions to enforce the law, as a lot many cases where vehicles, mostly two-wheelers, involved in crime could not be traced because of illegible number plates," said Mr. Abraham.
The drive will begin on Sunday.
"Motorists violating the directive would be given a warning for a couple of days; after that fine will be imposed," he said.
The law stipulates that numbers and registration mark (alphabets indicating the State in which the vehicle is registered) should be written legibly in reflecting colours on a clear surface and the letters should not have a slant of more than 30 degrees.
All vehicles other than motorcycles and invalid carriages should have registration numbers of the size 9 cm x 2 cm and with spacing of 1.5 cm. The registration marks should of size 6.5 cm x 1.5 cm and with spacing of 1.5 cm.
For motorcycles and invalid carriages, the specifications are numbers having a size of 6 cm x 1 cm with spacing of 1 cm and registration mark of the size 4.5 cm x 1 cm with 1 cm spacing.
The Regional Transport Office has already launched a drive against number plates not conforming to the rules. "We remove wrongly displayed number plates on the spot during checks and give the drivers a notice for five days to correct them, failing which the registration of the vehicle is cancelled," said M.N. Prabhakaran, Regional Transport Officer.
A specimen of the correct size and font to be used in number plates is displayed at the RTO. Mr. Prabhakaran said the tendency for fancy fonts and displays are more prevalent among non-transport vehicles. For, the transport vehicles have to return to the RTO for the annual checking for permit.

Source: The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates

High Security Number plates in India:
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...5850551986.pdf
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
New High Security Registration Plates????.....Is it true - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring

Hope that I am able to clairfy your doubts now.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:02   #415
BHPian

Wow so much info, thanks for your effort man I appreciate it. But I still couldnt find the font type in any link. For example Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Per these rules one can still use any font as long as the spacing is correct. I'll go to our RTO on Monday and see if they have specified any font or pattern.

Quote:
The .pdf file links have been taken from the rulebooks published by the Govenment. Here is the link for the .pdf file (Cmvr1989.pdf) from the STA of Tamilnadu state:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Please go page 38 onwards to see the same pages as mentioned earlier:
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

Please read subsection 6 of section 41:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Mvact1988.pdf

Dimensions on the alphabets and numbers described on Punjab Government's website (Please check at the bottom of the page):
Registration - Department of Transport, Punjab Government

Traffic Police - Mumbai - Please check the penalty for Improper Number Plates:
Mumbai Traffic Police

Maharashtra Police website (Please find the word - Improper):
Welcome to MPD, INDIA !!!

Please read Page 16 here:
Traffic Rules For All including You

Source: The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates

High Security Number plates in India:
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...5850551986.pdf
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
New High Security Registration Plates????.....Is it true - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring

Hope that I am able to clairfy your doubts now.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:05   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Wow so much info, thanks for your effort man I appreciate it. But I still couldnt find the font type in any link. For example Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Per these rules one can still use any font as long as the spacing is correct. I'll go to our RTO on Monday and see if they have specified any font or pattern.
These are all Government departments and that too in India, so we don't have any specific fonts here (like Arial etc.). The alphabets should be capital, readable and the thickness + spacing to be given as per the rules. For example, the huge size of registration numbers on MH buses in the past.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:57   #417
BHPian

That sounds good, if we go per the law at least 50% of the examples in my earlier post are legal. Capital, readable, thickness and spacing can all be per the law and it can still look fancy. For example 8055 in digital font all capital, readable, right thickness and spacing and it will look like BOSS. But one can still read 8055 and BOSS. Wow infact when you look at 8055 without the digital font it still looks BOSS, doesnt it

Quote:
These are all Government departments and that too in India, so we don't have any specific fonts here (like Arial etc.). The alphabets should be capital, readable and the thickness + spacing to be given as per the rules. For example, the huge size of registration numbers on MH buses in the past.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:47   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I wouldnt mind paying if I have the money...

The Number that waiting to get my hands in Mumbai are..
Sereis IM no 8055....It can go something Like MH-XX-IM BOSS..I would pay anything for it..only If I had a huge black Suv..and loads of money to spend..

Guys if anyone reading get your hands on this number ever..Please ....gift it to me..HAHA!!!

Seen an Toyota Innova with the same No (8055) in chennai.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:43   #419
BHPian

Quote:
That sounds good, if we go per the law at least 50% of the examples in my earlier post are legal. Capital, readable, thickness and spacing can all be per the law and it can still look fancy. For example 8055 in digital font all capital, readable, right thickness and spacing and it will look like BOSS. But one can still read 8055 and BOSS. Wow infact when you look at 8055 without the digital font it still looks BOSS, doesnt it
BOSS,

Using digital font is ILLEGAL on the vehicle number plates. It seems the links pasted in previous replies were not useful?

Please refer to the Delhi Traffic Police or JCP (Traffic Police - Delhi) pages on Facebook. They are sending hundreds of challans per week, to such offences uploaded via photographs on their respective pages.

Now if somebody still uses such fonts is upto him/her, afterall he/she will have to waste his/her precious time with Police and then paying up the fine. Also if the rules in a specific city/state is not strictly applied, doesn't mean that one has got the liberty to break rules.

Hope that I am able to clarify!

Cheers!
Irish
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:48   #420
BHPian

Those links were useful, just couldnt find any font specified only thickness, space, capital and readable. I'll be going to our RTO tomorrow and will look for font or anything else similar specified somewhere. Thanks for your efforts

Quote:
BOSS,

Using digital font is ILLEGAL on the vehicle number plates. It seems the links pasted in previous replies were not useful?

Please refer to the Delhi Traffic Police or JCP (Traffic Police - Delhi) pages on Facebook. They are sending hundreds of challans per week, to such offences uploaded via photographs on their respective pages.

Now if somebody still uses such fonts is upto him/her, afterall he/she will have to waste his/her precious time with Police and then paying up the fine. Also if the rules in a specific city/state is not strictly applied, doesn't mean that one has got the liberty to break rules.

Hope that I am able to clarify!

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks