Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 15:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Zoomcar self-drive rental service to expand into Asia, Africa

Zoomcar - the self-drive car rental service in India - is now planning to expand into Asian and African markets. According to Greg Moran, CEO and co-founder of Zoomcar, the company has completed the research of potential markets in Asia and Africa. It aims to enter over 20 countries in the next 2 years with Asia being the priority.

Zoomcar self-drive rental service to expand into Asia, Africa-zoomcar.jpg

Meanwhile, back home, Zoomcar plans to double its current fleet this financial year. It expects the revenues to double during this period. Laying out the future, Zoomcar is targeting to have 25,000 cars in 30 cities across India in the next 2-3 years. The service currently has 20 lakh registered users and a 3000-vehicle fleet spread across 25 cities in India.

Zoomcar Associate Program (ZAP) has 600 registered users and covers 20% of the current fleet, which the company aims to increase to 85-90% over the next 2-3 years. As part of ZAP, individuals can buy one or more cars which can be leased out on a revenue sharing basis. But first, the company will have to sort out regulatory issues with various State governments concerning commercial licenses for private cars.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 16:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zoomcar self-drive rental service to expand into Asia, Africa

Great! Now Africans and other fellow Asians also will get an opportunity to experience the pathetic service of Zoomcars.

Instead of focusing on improving quality of services and consolidation in India, they are taking the easy way out to get more funding.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 16:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Great! Now Africans and other fellow Asians also will get an opportunity to experience the pathetic service of Zoomcars.

After two horrendous experience, I have stopped using their service. The cars are poorly maintained and are not properly inspected before providing the car to the customer.
prasathlr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 18:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Zoomcar Associate Program[/url] (ZAP) has 600 registered users and covers 20% of the current fleet, which the company aims to increase to 85-90% over the next 2-3 years.
This sounds too optimistic, and honestly, impossible, for zoomcar to achieve. The ZAP has been around for at least a year now and the max they could manage was 600 participants, which currently is 20% of their 3000 strong fleet. But they also plan to increase their fleet to 25,000 across 30 cities over the next 2-3 years.
85-90% of 25,000 and they are looking at 22,500 users in ZAP program. Funny how they did not realize this before the press briefing.

They way they share the revenue with ZAP members, very soon this 600 number will also go down. There is nothing in ZAP for the investor.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 13th September 2017 at 18:37.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 19:02   #5
BHPian

While I'm all for startups going global, I really hope that Zoomcar doesn't become an Indian export. They were pioneers in introducing the self-driving concept in India. However, having been cheated by them once, I'll never ever recommend them to anyone I know or care about. They're the worst in terms of customer service, and they deserve to be penalized. If anything, their presence in other countries would bring infamy to Indians and Indian businesses. I pity the investors who believe in this company.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed