Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 10:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Karnataka Govt approves Electric Vehicle policy

Karnataka became the first state in India to finalise the EV policy to encourage investments in the EV sector in India.
This could potentially bring in investments to the tune of 31000Cr and 55000 Jobs.

Karnataka govt approves electric vehicle policy to reduce dependency on fossil fuels

A modification in the building by-laws is also mooted to ensure charging points in all highrises, IT parks, SEZs and apartment complex.

Charging points for e-vehicles to be a must at IT parks, SEZs
speedmiester is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 10:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka Govt approves Electric Vehicle policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

A modification in the building by-laws is also mooted to ensure charging points in all highrises, IT parks, SEZs and apartment complex.
What about apartments/residential complexes?
The facility of charging electric vehicles in Apartment complexes today is almost non-existent.

If this charging infrastructure is included in the building plan itself, it will be easy for the common people to adopt electric vehicles.

As of today, a large percentage of people stay in multi-storey apartments, where creating a new custom made charging point, costs a fortune.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 10:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
What about apartments/residential complexes?
The facility of charging electric vehicles in Apartment complexes today is almost non-existent.

If this charging infrastructure is included in the building plan itself, it will be easy for the common people to adopt electric vehicles.

As of today, a large percentage of people stay in multi-storey apartments, where creating a new custom made charging point, costs a fortune.
Even the new apartment complexes are asked to have charging facilities. A new building by-law is brought in to effect the changes.

I had an E2O and I live in an apartment complex. Getting a charging facility installed near my parking was easy. It took less than an hour and costed less than 1K. My parking spot is around 200 meters from the ground floor electricity panels and meters.
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 11:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the new apartment complexes are asked to have charging facilities. A new building by-law is brought in to effect the changes.

I had an E2O and I live in an apartment complex. Getting a charging facility installed near my parking was easy. It took less than an hour and costed less than 1K. My parking spot is around 200 meters from the ground floor electricity panels and meters.

Good move then.
My neighbor has 2 Revas (old model). Believe it or not, he manages both vehicles from a single parking slot.
I didn't realize that Electricity could be taken directly from the basement area. I thought the wiring has to come from individual's flat
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've seen this in my apartment complex also, a Reva has a charging point. It's always locked, so I'm not sure if the owner is confident of charging it overnight as the lot is unattended. This spot is near a pillar.

The majority of parking spaces don't have a pillar or a wall nearby and the lights barely work, I guess they'll need some major wiring. Maybe in the future, we will have wireless charging like BMW is planning with the new 5 series, you park on the port.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly speaking, by when do we expect India to be fully EV?

1. The sheer number of current vehicles on Fossil and CNG fuels are mind-boggling.
2. For majority of the folks, purchasing a car is a long-term investment and many would not be in position to scrap their car and buy a new one. I am saying scrap, because if any rules are passed, then such cars will not be saleable?
3. Electricity is already scarce in our country, while we are progressing, but there are still power cuts and even some places waiting for electrification!
4. Highways and even remote places will need charging points, and multiple points, to ensure there are no long queues.
5. Commercial vehicles might end up spending more time charging than on duty.

While the target has been set to only allow EVs from 2030, but realistically we might not be able to fully replace current stock by even 2040?
Thoughts?
DuHasstMich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Honestly speaking, by when do we expect India to be fully EV?

1. The sheer number of current vehicles on Fossil and CNG fuels are mind-boggling.
2. For majority of the folks, purchasing a car is a long-term investment and many would not be in position to scrap their car and buy a new one. I am saying scrap, because if any rules are passed, then such cars will not be saleable?
3. Electricity is already scarce in our country, while we are progressing, but there are still power cuts and even some places waiting for electrification!
4. Highways and even remote places will need charging points, and multiple points, to ensure there are no long queues.
5. Commercial vehicles might end up spending more time charging than on duty.

While the target has been set to only allow EVs from 2030, but realistically we might not be able to fully replace current stock by even 2040?
Thoughts?
All points totally valid. However, if these targets by various governments are useful in at least setting the ball rolling - it will be a wonderful thing for the near future.

I don't think we'll have to switch by rule to EVs in our generation. But our generation has a brilliant chance to correct some things and make the changes that are desperately needed for the betterment of the little ones. Changes like this one always take time to get articulated to all people & patience is the key.

Currently we don't have the infrastructure, nor electricity in all homes. But we must hope that all these things will get corrected hand in hand. Even in last 10 years there has been a visible difference in availability of electric power and infrastructure.

It is inevitable that the fossil fuels will run out one day (I thank the almighty for that! Will solve a lot of problems in the world.) The sooner we start putting things in place for alternatives, the comfortable the transition will be.

Obviously most of these government rules / announcements / targets at this moment are more of PR stunts rather than things that will immediately bear fruits. Yet - they generate public awareness, hype and are a good start.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks