Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2017, 20:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: R.I.P. Hyundai Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There's nothing premium about brand 'Kia'. Would disagree.
Never said that. Only said that a new brand can try for a premium positioning from day 1 unlike an established economy brand that tries to reposition. Think of how Skoda positioned itself as premium in India whereas it was a rubbish brand in Europe
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 20:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai does have luxury brand called Genesis Motors. May be they should try bringing that. But it would not enjoy the recognition German brands have, so it may not fly in near future.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 22:20   #33
BHPian

I remember the days when I was eagerly awaiting the launch of this car in India. I was aghast to see that Hyundai launched the compact version at such a high price.

In those days the Fortuner and the Endeavour were utilitarian and a far cry from the swanky luxury barges they are now. At that time Santa Fe still made a little sense for a buyer who was looking for a refined soft roader. But the present generation of BMW X1, Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and the Volkswagen Tiguan have made Santa Fe redundant, so much so that I forgot that it even exists. The impending launch of Skoda Kodiaq and Karoq (later) would have killed it all together.

Hyundai better pull it's socks up or the Hyundai Tucson compact SUV is next on the chopping block.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2017 at 10:17. Reason: typos
fuelinmyveins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 07:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hyundai does have luxury brand called Genesis Motors. May be they should try bringing that. But it would not enjoy the recognition German brands have, so it may not fly in near future.
And they launched the G70 compact sedan recently to take the fight to BMW3/ Mercedes C etc.

However like you said, people will not buy it in India. If I'm to spend so much, mostly I'll spend a little more to ensure I'll get a German well appreciated brand rather than an unknown Korean one.

Even Japanese premium brands have not made the progress here that they could in other countries. The moment price starts going northwards, brand preference goes westwards...

Also the Genesis are all premium Sedans. So they can try a shot but that wont position Hyundai anywhere in the SUV bracket.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 10:22   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
In those days the Fortuner and the Endeavour were utilitarian and a far cry from the swanky luxury barges they are now.
You make a very good point . When the Santa Fe was launched, the previous-gen Fortuner, Endeavour etc. were very basic, utilitarian & outdated. Their current-generations however are far more plush. Then, there is also newer competition in the same price band, above it & below it.

The body-on-frame SUVs have gotten easier to live with. No longer do they have terribly bumpy rides or heavy steerings. Case in point = the Endeavour with its light EPS & excellent suspension tuning.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2017 at 10:25.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 12:36   #36
BHPian

Well I am a happy owner of Santa Fe for the last 3 years, I have done numerous trips with it and even drove it to Sarchu/Lahaul & Spiti. It did a commendable job and not one rattle after all these drives.

The only gripe - crappy OEM korean tyres. I just replaced them with Yokohamas and the drive is so much more enjoyable. That's the only change I would want in the Santa Fe, and oh yes a sunroof wouldn't hurt.

I am not surprised that Hyundai pulled the plug, with its current sales it doesn't justify any investments.

Wouldn't wish it RIP yet, plan to hold on to it for a long while. With Hyundai still have peace of mind of spare availability.
Old 18th September 2017, 19:16   #37
BHPian

I chose to buy a used 2014 Santa fe over a used x3 and a new Tucson

I guess people are aware of the superior seating (over both the above cars), and the Endy and Fortuner were ruled out due to relatively low acceleration (0 to 60 kmph and 0 to 40 kmph speeds).

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/pe...xdrive20d.html
This is the performance of the X3

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/pe...automatic.html
This is the performance of the version I have

Tucson is similar in terms of acceleration but the inside space and quality is no match

However, if you need snob value - then yes, a Hyundai will not command that for sure. However, the driving comfort, seating comfort and ride quality of Santa fe is at par with the test drive cars of x3. X1 is not even in the same league

Last edited by vivekrvcse : 18th September 2017 at 19:19.
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 21:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The writing on the wall is clear, the consumer isn't kicked up by the idea of a premium Hyundai yet.
Exactly Dev. The Santa Fe is priced much higher than Fortuner/Endeavour and besides when you try to sell it, it one will get cheaper offer than a Duster.
Old 19th September 2017, 11:27   #39
BHPian

With this news, the price of a pre-owned Santa Fe will drop even more. This is a good time to pick one up. I say this without any information on parts availability.

My sister bought an Acura MDX in SFO. She said the car that came close to the awesome MDX was the Santa Fe. It was, apparently, super smooth with all possible features.

Hyundai makes excellent cars and I will be on the lookout for a good second hand Santa Fe
Old 20th September 2017, 07:35   #40
BHPian

Santa Fe was always a tough choice to justify for a regular buyer.

Its not as imposing as Fortuner or the Endeavour at one end, may be the long wheelbase version with an aggressive pricing could have positioned it better. I was always wondering from day 1, why Hyundai did not bring the LWB version they have in USA!

With the rock high pricing and low brand value at that spectrum (IMO), many brand conscious customers will settle down to smaller Euro (German) brigade. The introduction of Tucson also looks to have cannibalized Santa Fe sales. Its a better VFM, ticks almost all boxes for a Hyundai customer IMHO.

RIP Santa Fe.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2017 at 22:27. Reason: Typos
lovetorque is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th November 2017, 21:46   #41
BHPian

I would like to understand of there are any suvs with 10 second 0 to 100, 6 airbags, non German cost of ownership

I think there are no options except crv and santa fe..
Old 14th November 2017, 21:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I would like to understand of there are any suvs with 10 second 0 to 100, 6 airbags, non German cost of ownership

I think there are no options except crv and santa fe..
Along with Honda CR-V & Hyundai Santa Fe,

There are others like Jeep Compass AT, Hyundai Tuscon, VW Tiguan, Skoda Kodiaq.

While the last 2 are Germans, they are less expensive compared to Big 3(Mercedes/BMW/Audi).

All said & done, non of these cars would appeal to Kitna Deti Hai poochne wala aadmi
Old 14th November 2017, 22:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

While the last 2 are Germans, they are less expensive compared to Big 3(Mercedes/BMW/Audi).

All said & done, non of these cars would appeal to Kitna Deti Hai poochne wala aadmi
Jeep compass is only petrol (AT), and acceleration is weaker than CRV (which is substantially weaker than santa fe)

Tucson - somehow had missed this. Must TD this

Kodiaq I won't touch with a flag pole + barge pole put together. Tiguan, I don't know much.

Last edited by vivekrvcse : 14th November 2017 at 22:31. Reason: Must TD
Old 14th November 2017, 22:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Actually, they do appeal to "kitna deti hai" types. Excpet CRV, all others come in diesel variants as well.
Old 14th November 2017, 23:13   #45
BHPian

Sold my second Santa-fe (new gen) after a little more than 3 yrs of ownership at almost 60% of the ex-showroom price I had bought. Even the earlier one I had sold was quite ok resale wise so not sure why folks are comparing it with Duster etc. Overall the ownership experience was quite satisfactory and despite what everyone says it was worth every single penny. Would miss it for its smooth yet powerful drive, refined interiors and road manners and also for a very affordable stress-free ownership all along.
entropy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks