Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 12:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota has no plans to launch electric cars in India

I can't agree more with GTO's post. Toyota took 5 years too many to even launch the Toyota Fortuner here. For the kind of runaway success it was at launch, to me that's 5 years of loss of potential profits.

Here's a quick take on how I see examples of Toyota's lethargy in India:

1. The cheapest Toyota A/T you can buy even today is the Altis G / Innova G (not sure which is cheaper) - but basically a 20 lakh'ish product.

2. Even today, you can't buy a Altis diesel A/T - you can do so with both Elantra and Octavia, its immediate competitors (let alone the fact that its the only one with a 1.4 cc engine when the competition is significantly ahead).

3. Toyota still doesn't find it worthwhile to launch an A/T hatchback in any fuel option, let alone choice of fuel. This when I can buy automatic / at least AMT versions right from Nano, other Tata hatches, G.i10, i20, various Maruti & Nexa hatches as well as compact sedans, VW Polo, Honda Brio & Jazz. That, in a market that is so matured towards A/Ts across product and price ranges.

4. Toyota still doesn't have a C segment (City / Verna / Rapid / Vento) competitor despite this being such a mass segment today. Despite having the spot on option Vios. (No Yaris / no Vios in India). The City and Verna etc in the meantime are well ahead of their 3rd gens in India.

5. No compact SUV like the S Cross, Duster, Creta, Brezza, Ecosport, WRV, etc. (I really don't think the Etios cross can count) in the entire 10-18 lakh range. This despite them having products in the line up I'm sure.

For a market as large as ours, their apathy defies logic.

On the upside, some good things by them:

(a) Among the leaders to bring a product like Camry Hybrid for a sustained period of time and at a palatable price.
(b) Innova and Fortuner now available in A/T and M/T in diesel AND petrol.

I think that's it actually.

There's so much more Toyota can do given its customer goodwill in India. I seriously question the rationale being applied by top bosses - wherever they are (mis)guiding the India initiatives.

If anyone has the existing tech and the customer confidence to lead the charge with hybrids and EVs its Toyota. They're the only one who've got a truly successful hybrid product, they have existing mfg capabilities as well as the India support footprint of a leading player. The policy and market are both headed in that direction clearly in India. Lead the way and reap the profits!!
Old 26th May 2018, 22:09   #17
BHPian

Toyota Kirloskar Motor today said the Centre's earlier target of setting up an all-electric fleet from 2030 will be possible from only 2050 and suggested that hybrid cars will be an "interim" solution till that time.

Link

This article does lead to an interesting question-When will electric cars take over the in India?

Even Tesla moved to our giant neighbors. As of now, there are very less electric vehicles available in India and those which are available has many restrictions such as less battery range, electricity problems, etc. Indian government has given a statement that by the year of 2030, all vehicles in India will be electric vehicles. Even the Diesel cars market has fallen to 23%.

Link

Our country is dominated by two wheelers, and even the electric two wheeler market is not taking over and not very attractive. Also India doesn't have much electric power outlets to charge the vehicles and also in India most of the people have single phase connection in their home so its take too much of time to charge the vehicles.

Note: Mods please move the post to a more relevant thread if necessary.

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 26th May 2018 at 22:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks