Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For me, it's:
Driving pleasure over absolute reliability 353 49.16%
Absolute reliability over driving pleasure 365 50.84%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 12:03   #181
Team-BHP Support

Driving Pleasure vs Reliability - If you had to choose?

I have read some messages where a third option to be added (reliability AND driving pleasure both can be had). To my mind, its a no brainer that if both can be had in any situation then that's what someone would choose. I would think the intent of the poll is to bring into sharp focus where someone has to choose one or the other, which one would drive their decision. And therefore the poll limited to two options.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 12:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Pleasure vs Reliability - If you had to choose?

Reliability and although driving pleasure is paramount too, but if I had to choose between the two, I would pick reliability because for me, since we are a road trip family and hit the highways so often, I need the car to keep running no matter what, the Swift Diesel we own now is exactly that, relentless, runs on diesel we fill from anywhere, takes whatever is thrown at it and keeps chugging along.

The surprising part though about our car, she was the most unreliable thing I had seen in the first 20 thousand odd kilometers, gearbox overhaul, clutch change, gears not slotting, steering replacement, turbo replacement and what not, ofcourse all of this under warranty but as she has aged and run 1 lakh 45 thousand kilometres till now and counting, she is the most reliable thing I know, so reliably for me.

PS: Touchwood
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 12:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I have read some messages where a third option to be added (reliability AND driving pleasure both can be had). To my mind, its a no brainer that if both can be had in any situation then that's what someone would choose. I would think the intent of the poll is to bring into sharp focus where someone has to choose one or the other, which one would drive their decision. And therefore the poll limited to two options.
Completely agree!
Having just these two options on this poll, better brings out the marginal preference one might have for reliability over performance, or vice-versa.
Introducing a third option (both) would completely muddle the poll results, with almost everyone going for Both starting from those with a 99:1 bias to those with a 1:99 bias.
When I voted for reliability, it didn't mean I don't want performance, only that I placed a somewhat greater emphasis on reliability.
In a real life decision, for me, it would translate into preferring to choose a car which is generally dependable and easier to maintain, but gives average to above-average performance, rather than choosing a car which is a hoot to drive, but likely to start stalling in sustained usage in heavy traffic (sorry for the pointed example).
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:35   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
My RD 350 any day over a KTM duke 390! Guess that sums it up Driving pleasure any day
Offtopic:
Can you please explain? AFAIK, Duke 390 is more fun to ride!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Well Well - on an auto-enthusiast forum such as TeamBHP, the poll results as on date (51.77 % Driving Pleasure : 48.23% Reliability), driving pleasure is barely overtaking Reliability.

In the real world then of the Aam Admi (common man), Reliability is surely King...As for me, I own a Japanese car and yes I voted for Reliability as well
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

The first car has to be reliable.
No point in having spent a load on a car that barely runs when you want it to, and you are forced to seek public transport.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 14:27   #187
BHPian

I own two cars, an Innova and M800. So on both the aspects I can fit in my cars,especially on the reliability front. With M800, can I claim driving pleasure? Well, I'm not sure,on Highways, but on ghat roads and not so smooth roads, I can easily maneuver this simple car effectively with a wide grin on my face. But to answer the question, I have voted in favor of reliability. What I feel that with a reliable car, you are bound to get some driving pleasure, but on the other way,you are going to lose all the driving pleasures, if the niggles keep on coming.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 14:32   #188
BHPian

I'd be a hypocrite if I selected Reliability, especially after having bought the TATA Safari Storme :

Driving pleasure a 100%!

No car out there can give you 100% reliability, but there are quite a few that can give you ultimate driving pleasure.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 14:34   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Offtopic:
Can you please explain? AFAIK, Duke 390 is more fun to ride!
Driving / riding pleasure or fun is totally subjective. To everyone his/her own. It can't be "defined" as global for everyone.
What can be defined is whether someone picks his or her perceived PLEASURE over RELIABILITY. Thats what the poll really is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The first car has to be reliable.
No point in having spent a load on a car that barely runs when you want it to, and you are forced to seek public transport.
Hardly any new car sold today falls in this category (in bold). So...
Old 28th September 2017, 14:54   #190
BHPian

I voted for Driving / riding pleasure, thats all i want.
Old 28th September 2017, 14:55   #191
BHPian

Should there be a 3rd voting button called 'Depends' ?

While buying my first car Santro, reliability and a proven name was important. Even when I actually became a 'Driver' then I felt the adrenaline rush from different cars but still bought the super reliable Dzire. Because that was what I had to buy for my wife who would shuttle between Mumbai and Pune alone numerous times every month.

Finally, when we moved to Hyderabad, and no one had to travel, and also our scooters were doing a good job everyday, the need for adrenaline rush came. And we ended buying the scorpion Abarth. Now Abarth has spoiled us in terms of driving. Unless family members join us for a long time, I do not think we would settle with something less powerful as well as reliable than Abarth.
Old 28th September 2017, 15:17   #192
BHPian

Depends on state of life I guess

2012 when I got my Vento Diesel - It was driving pleasure
Cut to 2017 + year old twin boys - reliability is paramount
anand_hc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:25   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[*]Even if you loved the Safari, would you still buy it after hearing about all its niggles?

If the mass market were to vote on this poll, reliability would trump driving pleasure in a 9:1 ratio. Look at the best selling cars in their respective segments and you'll see the safe ones usually win. The market has made its choice. What about you?
Halfway through the the topic, I was just about think may be there is no mention of the cult - Safari! But you did not disappoint me.

Before I bought Storme, I almost driven every hatchback and sedan below 12lac bracket available at that time.

The best competition to the Storme were from TSI/TDI and Tjet. I alone know, how much I was swinging between the choices.

I was then asked by my wife: If you are driving an vw/fiat and spot a Safari, how does it feel? That moment it was clear to me that Storme is anytime/anywhere and one time purchase. Even on the worse day at home/office, one drive in Storme makes me so comfortable. A soothing feel!!
Old 28th September 2017, 15:29   #194
BHPian

See, the thread talks about "if you had to choose."

Not what have you chosen currently!

So many people have said they want reliability, because of so many reasons. And because of that they chose whatever they have today. Same with driving pleasure.

But that's NOT what the thread's all about! It says: "Would you sacrifice reliability for driving pleasure? Or will you forego 'driving feel' for that smile when your car performs flawlessly day after day?" The key here is WOULD

So gents, a humble request, please don't respond based on what you have. Please respond based on what you would want to have, rather than what you have done.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 16:11   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Seems like you are degrading the Team-BHP members and polls! Not all here are ardent brand-loyals. Many Maruti car owners may vote for non-Maruti cars, and vice versa. So, let's un-link the poll results from brand ownership.

Another thing: we all claim that we are enthusiasts. But enthusiasm doesn't always mean "driving pleasure". A person who is looking for beautiful-looking cars is also an enthusiast - his enthusiasm is about the beauty of cars. Another person may be very enthusiastic about extracting the maximum mileage from every liter of Petrol. Another one may be very enthusiastic about a sweet exhaust note and nothing else.
I did not mean to degrade any member nor do I intend to degrade Maruti. I infact love some their cars like Baleno,Swift which have a perfect balance between reliability and driving pleasure. No matter how much we try to be neutral, we will have a soft corner for the brand we own. And in many cases I noticed people would vote for the car they own or the brand they own.

While enthusiasm doesnot necessarily mean Driving pleasure, the poll is clearly driving pleasure vs reliability and not enthusiasm vs reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks