Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For me, it's:
Driving pleasure over absolute reliability 353 49.16%
Absolute reliability over driving pleasure 365 50.84%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 15:38   #136
BHPian

Re: Driving Pleasure vs Reliability - If you had to choose?

All the money in the world, no day job to speak of, and no responsibilities/dependencies as such? Driving pleasure, hands down! No contest!

Cuz if it breaks, I'll just replace it with another one!

But I'm a mere mortal, with bills to pay, an extremely short temper, negligible patience, no trust fund, and no time to spend on frivolities. So reliability it is!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 27th September 2017 at 15:40.
sourav9385 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:57   #137
BHPian

eg. 1 - I landed in Mumbai airport after 15.45 hrs non stop flight from US. Home is 3 kms from airport so reached home at 7 pm and just took my car (corolla) and left for Abu Road where my family was on holiday

the AC conked off but the car continued and reached 769 kms ( 2 stops of bio break) driving entire night

eg. 2 - I was driving from Abu road to Mumbai with family and immediately on reaching Baroda the truck ahead dropped a big bolder. Car went over it and the left tyre rim got bend and there was a crunching noise from the bottom.

Took car to the side it was again around 8 in the evening and with my mother 76 yrs and kid 8 yrs inside did not know what to do on highway which was pitch dark

Changed the tyre and with prayers on lips started the car and drove non stop to Mumbai.

Other small incidences are a plenty. So for me its Reliability (bulletproof)

Thank you for reading
Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 16:00   #138
BHPian

What an apt Thread! Driving pleasure all the way for me.
Incidentally, I was discussing this topic with my close friend last week. He bought the Polo GT TSI solely on my recommendation last year. He keeps thanking me for making him buy that beauty as he's enjoying his daily ride with a plastered grin on his face. During one such car discussion, he mentioned that he would like to keep the car for 10 years+ like his Dad's Maruti Zen. That's when I had to tell him that nobody in their wildest dreams would ever think of keeping the GT TSI for that long and I advised him to sell the car immediately after the 4 years of extended warranty. While he was disappointed, I told him my perspective - 'these Germans are like flings, amazingly fun but expensive in long run. While having flings in its most commonly understood form are certainly not advisable for us married mortals, these cars can give us a better taste of adrenaline'. He had a naughty smile on his face
I will pick up the Octavia RS over the Camry any day even if I had 35L+ in my pocket.
Old 27th September 2017, 16:16   #139
BHPian

Voted for Driving pleasure. We petrol heads love Mustang over Toyota any day!
Old 27th September 2017, 16:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer a combination of both. A car that is reasonably fun to drive and reliable at same time. Example: I would pickup Figo Aspire over Dzire/Ameo. The former is fun to drive,punchy and fairly reliable. There are such cars in every segment, just that we end up making decision based on historical data/perception which may not hold good today.

Last edited by PrideRed : 27th September 2017 at 16:20.
Old 27th September 2017, 16:54   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Should I say anything more than my signature? Yes, I should, because one-liners aren't allowed on TBHP

I could have chosen a Swift when I purchased a Punto
I could have chosen the Ecosport when I purchased the GT

People told me "Suzuki has service stations at every corner of the country". but I said, "I'll visit a service station once a year; distance doesn't matter". I even drove 250Kms to Salem once for a scheduled service. Call me crazy, but that's me!

People told me that Ecosport (AT) looks better and is a bigger car. But it was just boring to drive. Nothing other than the DSG in the GT came close.

Driving pleasure are inseparable words for me. It is always more important than absolute reliability
Old 27th September 2017, 17:03   #142
BHPian

Woah! The irony!
A car-enthusiast forum that doesn't want driving pleasure? 200 for reliability and 185 for driving pleasure at the time of my vote.
What gives, guys/gals?

I voted for driving pleasure.
That doesn't mean I am ok with the car being in the workshop every alternate month.
If the car doesn't excite you and you aren't looking for excuses to drive it then why even consider owing one, is my thinking.
I think if you can maintain the car right, you can ensure good reliability to a great extent.

Not everyone gets a lemon from the dealership and various reliability issues are just ownership/maintenance issues. A little bit of care and foresight will keep your car, any car, running smoothly. As fas as dealership interaction goes, making sure that YOU know what is being done on your car will ensure the car is well looked after. Don't just deliver the car at the workshop and walk away only to collect it later. Do your due diligence and find out what all is going to be replaced/repaired at the time of drop-off. Don't think twice about their "no customers in the workshop area" policy.
Do thorough PDIs.
When I picked up my Volvo earlier this year, I told the GM of sales that he will get his advance payment cheque after I have done the underbody inspection.
He was there when the car was on the lift. He admitted that even he had never seen the S60 from below. He has been with Volvo for years now!

Sorry about the rant. Drive safe!
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:09   #143
BHPian

I bought a Vento TDi HL, when all my friends went for either the City or the Verna. When all my relatives scared be about about VW being unproven in India, lower resale, higher perceived maintenance and the unreliability (have heard horror stories of cars spending months in workshops because of unavailability of parts). Even today, with age creeping up on old gal, every time I sit behind its wheels, my joy knows no bounds. Touch the highway and there's no end to things you can do with the machine. And she does all this while feeling heavy, mature, planted and secure. Still cannot stand the City, as excellent as that is. Cannot tolerate the Verna (though I've heard good things about the new avatar). And all things considered, haven't had a particularly poor experience with VW (Diesel-gate notwithstanding).

So what I'm trying to say is: Pleasure > Reliability.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 27th September 2017 at 17:10.
Old 27th September 2017, 17:10   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Woah! The irony!
A car-enthusiast forum that doesn't want driving pleasure? 200 for reliability and 185 for driving pleasure at the time of my vote.
What gives, guys/gals?
Why did you think that each one of those 200+ (including me) voted for 'reliability'? I can assure you, each and every person in this forum (and many more outside) would prefer a ideal world of 'driving pleasure + reliability'. But here the question was, Reliability or Driving Pleasure. So this was a tricky question and hence you see the 'divided' opinions (almost 50-50) even in an enthusiasts forum.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:36   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Woah! The irony!
What gives, guys/gals?
Considering the market share that Maruti has in India - I'm glad that those like us who picked "pleasure" are at least in the fight & close! I expected us to be outnumbered by a big margin .

No offense to the brand and certainly not to owners. Just that the primary reason why people buy a Maruti is reliability in most cases.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th September 2017 at 17:38.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:41   #146
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly I select driving pleasure as seen from my rides over the year.

But as I age I feel myself moving towards reliability.

We can safely believe that the best of both worlds would be the most expensive.

Originally Mercs, BMW, Audi, Volvo etc. were supposed to signify reliability and then we had Luxury and Safety and finally Driving pleasure added to the characteristics of these bands.

Somewhere along the way they forgot reliability.
Old 27th September 2017, 17:47   #147
BHPian

My RD 350 any day over a KTM duke 390! Guess that sums it up Driving pleasure any day
Old 27th September 2017, 17:52   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Considering the market share that Maruti has in India - I'm glad that those like us who picked "pleasure" are at least in the fight & close! I expected us to be outnumbered by a big margin.
Some Maruti cars are not only reliable, but are fun to drive too. Consider Swift, S-Cross 1.6, old Baleno, Zen etc. So, don't think that all who voted for "pleasure" are non-Maruti owners. The reverse is also true. Eg: There are a lot of Toyota owners who might have voted for reliability.

Customers are not here just to pay for the non-performing brands to keep their kitty bulky. Let those manufacturers earn money by their good products, not by some people's hatred towards Maruti.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th September 2017 at 17:54.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:58   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Some Maruti cars are not only reliable, but are fun to drive too. Consider Swift, S-Cross 1.6, old Baleno, Zen etc. So, don't think that all who voted for "pleasure" are non-Maruti owners. The reverse is also true. Eg: There are a lot of Toyota owners who might have voted for reliability.

Customers are not here just to pay for the non-performing brands to keep their kitty bulky. Let those manufacturers earn money by their good products, not by some people's hatred towards Maruti.
I'm not talking about the voters on forum at all buddy. I know. However like I said, majority % of Maruti owners undeniably buy them for reliability/availability of service centers. In the overall numbers, how much % do SCross1.6, Old Baleno owners amount? Negligible. I have driven the Zen, no comments about it. Swift indeed is a fun to drive car - one of the best. But thats not the only car that Maruti's sales numbers are made of.

I was just relating MARUTI's overall market share which is upwards of 50% with member feedback. I'm not saying an OMNI owner will not like to have driving pleasure. I owned an OMNI for years & I have voted for pleasure.

It was more of a light hearted comment.
Old 27th September 2017, 18:05   #150
BHPian

Nice thread as always GTO:

For me driving pleasure indeed is top priority
However I simply feel that until you take care of your ride, it takes care of You.

On weekdays I am more of a 2 wheeler guy taking out by 4 wheels only during weekends or long trips.

The 2 cars in my family are - a 7 year old Ford Fiesta & a pre-owned 11 year old Baleno (assumed to be totally unreliable as per many auto freaks).
However I have never been in a single situation where I had to ever consider that 'why did I buy my cars'.
With regards to the spares for the Baleno - yes it's a bit of trouble but not impossible (atleast in a city like Bangalore). End of the day I am a happy person to drive it around, sourcing & fixing things on it.

In case of long journeys I do not have to think twice with either cars - they are just ready to take me anywhere I need to zip off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks