Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2006, 21:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Atrocious situation in Hyundai plant

A colleague of mine from our Chennai branch reported this situation at the Hyundai plant outside Chennai, when he'd visited there recently on a business requirement:

4-5 Korean (management?) people sitting around in chairs smoking while bad-mouthing the "miserable Indian people" that work there. Apparently Indians arent allowed to sit in the company of these Koreans. And even an Indian top man doesn't sit when Koreans are around. And this Korean group even taunted the Indian employees there with firing - as a regular conversational item. Apparently Koreans in Hyundai's India plant regularly look down publicly on the Indian workforce there - similar to a vassal system.

The Indian employees my colleague interacted with told him to keep his mouth shut at that moment else they'll lose their jobs.

This is a totally unacceptable treatment by this Korean company toward our nationality. We should do something about it strongly.
Old 24th November 2006, 21:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats bad , I mean its inappropriate to behave so unprofessionally . This kinda of Attitude should be dealt in the right way , Now I just hope your friend doesn't loose his job , coz if he had been the only Indian , they arent going to be very happy to hear about this from the media or public.
Old 24th November 2006, 21:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not entirely unexpected. I have dealt with Koreans a few yrs ago and I am not surprised.
Old 24th November 2006, 21:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

maxbhp - we're a software company and my colleague from our Chennai branch had visited Hyundai to give them a demo - and he encountered this behavior 1st hand meted out to the Hyundai employees he'd gone to meet. Atrocious.
Old 24th November 2006, 21:42   #5
BHPian

Is it not subjective ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
A colleague of mine from our Chennai branch reported this situation at the Hyundai plant outside Chennai, when he'd visited there recently on a business requirement:
This is a totally unacceptable treatment by this Korean company toward our nationality. We should do something about it strongly.
Can some one be specific about how they treat the workers and/ or how they look down upon us ? Is it about the work culture, punctuality or what ?

If this is what they dont like in indians, I think they are right. That does NOT mean indians are bad or whatever, IMHO our work culture has a lot to improve.
Old 24th November 2006, 22:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

We've been organising events for Hyundai Motors India Ltd. right since their Bhoomi Pooja and yes,its true.
Koreans are great in productivity and a bit more accurate (in copying)than we Indians are. Koreans work on average for about 15-18 hours a day.
This apart from a few cultural differences has created a bad atmosphere in the factory and those chinks look down upon Indians like the British did before Independence.
Old 24th November 2006, 22:22   #7
BHPian

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
We've been organising events for Hyundai Motors India Ltd. right since their Bhoomi Pooja and yes,its true.
Koreans are great in productivity and a bit more accurate (in copying)than we Indians are. Koreans work on average for about 15-18 hours a day.
This apart from a few cultural differences has created a bad atmosphere in the factory and those chinks look down upon Indians like the British did before Independence.
This is the first time I am thinking aloud on the subject of copying, do indians (we) do it. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
  1. We name our film industry Bollywood/ Tollywood/ Kollywood, ....
  2. almost every indian knows where bappi lahiri gets his tunes from
  3. most of the sardarji jokes are blonde jokes from west
  4. pirated movie/ game CDs are nothing new to us
  5. same goes for software tooo
  6. we do remakes of some hollywood movies, not sure if they are licensed from original movie makers (like that movie E.T), t is at least stealing ideas
We dont seem to be superior to either koreans or chinese in this aspect either.
Old 25th November 2006, 01:18   #8
BANNED

Hmmmm..... That's another reason for me to hate Hyundai!!!
Old 25th November 2006, 01:30   #9
BHPian

WHY is my question do our people tolerate the discrimination?why not leak out such things to the world with proof?afterall we have politicians and union leaders in abundance!! in this case where have they disappeared?iam quite flummoxed here and to top it you are saying your collegue was asked to keep quiet!!
i guess we love it when foreigner's come strongly with all possible medival rules like slavery,oppresion,ill treatment etc etc otherwise what would be the cause here?

Last edited by dr fate : 25th November 2006 at 01:32.
Old 25th November 2006, 03:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
This is the first time I am thinking aloud on the subject of copying, do indians (we) do it. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
  1. We name our film industry Bollywood/ Tollywood/ Kollywood, ....
  2. almost every indian knows where bappi lahiri gets his tunes from
  3. most of the sardarji jokes are blonde jokes from west
  4. pirated movie/ game CDs are nothing new to us
  5. same goes for software tooo
  6. we do remakes of some hollywood movies, not sure if they are licensed from original movie makers (like that movie E.T), t is at least stealing ideas
We dont seem to be superior to either koreans or chinese in this aspect either.
1. The Indian film industry isnt called bollywood. The name was given by a magazine making fun of the indian film industry nd the word has kind of stuck though many actors including Amitabh Bacchan hate the use of this term.

2.Bappi Lahri's Kaliyon ka chaman was used in an english song recently nd bappi lahri has already sued the artist

3. cmon man there are plenty of orignal sardar jokes out there

4. ever wondered where we get many of our pirated games from?

5. I think some indian movies are amongst the best in the world and while some have been "inspired" you cannot deny the fact that there is a lot of original talent out there

anyways i guess it sucks that the koreans dont respect indians considering how many cars we buy from them/

Last edited by khanak : 25th November 2006 at 03:25.
Old 25th November 2006, 07:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sreenivass & Khanak, pls do not go off-topic. Thanks
Old 25th November 2006, 08:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

I guess the Japanese & Koreans have a perception that they are not Asians and that God placed them in Asia by mistake!
They always think they are at par with Americans and Europeans! This is shown in their attitute towards other Asian countries....!

Last edited by finneyp : 25th November 2006 at 08:21.
Old 25th November 2006, 08:35   #13
BHPian

That is bad man. Just because they work for 15-18 hrs doesn't mean they should expect others also to work like them
Old 25th November 2006, 09:34   #14
BANNED

Mag... if you or your friend has proof of this goings on why not take it to one of the news channels..I'm sure they will make a big hue and cry about this as they usually do.
Old 25th November 2006, 09:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

2L8uLoose,

I've suggested to my colleague to send an article to any newspapers there; balancing professional exigencies. Will keep you folks posted on any developments as they warrant.

Last edited by theMAG : 25th November 2006 at 09:49. Reason: Thought finesse!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks