Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2006, 22:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
are at par with Americans and Europeans???????????? Do you mean Ameriacand and europians are far supirior to Asian? Wow, how do you concluded that ?
Please don't misquote what I say!
I never said that Americans/Europeans are superior to Asians, but if you conclude/feel it that way, it is your problem!
What I said was that Koreans/Japanese try to develop the same dominating character as of Americans/Europeans....!
Old 26th November 2006, 10:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess the Japanese & Koreans have a perception that they are not Asians and that God placed them in Asia by mistake!
They always think they are at par with Americans and Europeans! This is shown in their attitute towards other Asian countries....!
Not just them, the Chinese too. Anybody outside their culture is a barbarian, whether brown or black or white (yes, they consider the whites uncivilized too).

It comes from the deep knowledge of and pride and belief in their own culture, especially when they a confronted with a people who are automatically subservient in front of a 'foreigner', mostly lack any knowledge of their own culture and heritage and therefore lack any self-esteem.

I hate the treatment, but I would blame our own people for it. They are in OUR country - if they behave so it is because WE LET THEM. Why should we complain?

India will change only when we as a people understand our own culture and heritage FIRST and learn to appreciate and be proud of the same. Until then every two-bit 'foreigner' including Africans will come here, see how lowly we rate ourselves, and throw their weight around.

The fault is with US.
Old 26th November 2006, 11:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mostly lack any knowledge of their own culture and heritage and therefore lack any self-esteem.
the lack of self-esteem is a very important factor.

If we do not value ourselves, someone from outside will not value us either. So we must not belittle our own people and their contributions !

Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese are very racially aware societies whereas in India the Govt has been constantly working to deracinate the Indian population. Thus many Indians do not really know who they are and what they are really worth.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by lurker : 26th November 2006 at 11:59.
Old 26th November 2006, 12:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not just them, the Chinese too. Anybody outside their culture is a barbarian, whether brown or black or white (yes, they consider the whites uncivilized too).
Actually, It was the Indians who were responsible for giving the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans much of their culture during the middle-ages. The Chinese school of Shaolin gained fame in martial arts and started to train their monks in martial arts only after a certain Indian monk called 'Bodhidharma' went to Shaolin and taught the monks there an ancient version of the Indian martial art called 'kalari' !

Even before Bodhidharma went, it was the Indian monks who spread Buddhism in China, Japan, and Korea. Most of the martial arts of these 3 countries originate from Shaolin and person who taught them martial arts was an ancient Indian. Buddhism went to Korea from Indian Gandhara Buddhist School.

Secondly the Chinese system of Feng Shui was again borrowed from the Indian buddhists who practised Vastu Shastra. The Chinese emperor and his subjects worshipped Dragons which was again a practice borrowed from interactions with the Indian Naga empire. In those days the Chinese and the Japanese called the land to their west..i.e. India as 'Heaven' because it was from there that all their knowledge and culture came from.

In the middle-ages arguably most of the culture and arts that these countries had was owed to the influence of Buddhist monks from India.
Old 26th November 2006, 12:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

It comes from the deep knowledge of and pride and belief in their own culture, especially when they a confronted with a people who are automatically subservient in front of a 'foreigner', mostly lack any knowledge of their own culture and heritage and therefore lack any self-esteem.

I hate the treatment, but I would blame our own people for it. They are in OUR country - if they behave so it is because WE LET THEM. Why should we complain?

India will change only when we as a people understand our own culture and heritage FIRST and learn to appreciate and be proud of the same. Until then every two-bit 'foreigner' including Africans will come here, see how lowly we rate ourselves, and throw their weight around.

The fault is with US.

thats becuase most indians are made to call anyone senior to them "Sir" and also knowing that if they give such treatment (like doing their personal work - pay bills, get their bank work done etc etc etc) to their seniors (be it goras or desi) they will get some fast bucks. They make themselves lowly and also consider themselves degraded the moment they see a gora (btw that gora may be driving a taxi in his country). This is so common to see here in the Gulf.
Since I call my Seniors with a Mr. --- and not "Sir" I have gone in bad books and my increments sliced. So be it.

whether its koreans or any phirangs if u give over importance then u portray a very sorry self image. just take the recent brad and jolie stuff.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 26th November 2006 at 12:30.
Old 26th November 2006, 12:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I call my Seniors with a Mr. --- and not "Sir" I have gone in bad books and my increments sliced. So be it.
You can also call them 'sir' with a slow..almost patronising tone !

But that will probably irritate them even more..lol.
Old 26th November 2006, 22:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid got it right. we have to take pride in our heritage & believe in ourselves first. there are too many divisions in this country for that to happen. the british were very shrewd that time when they had the 'divide & rule' policy. the other phoren-ers are just following that same policy. our politicians tag along with that to show that 'we' brought this factory to 'this' state. 'we' did this , we did that.
coming to the hyundai problem, i dont think anyone here can help it. it depends on the individual who was illtreated. if he has any pride left in him, he will strike back immaterial of the consequences.

p.s. i think this thread should be shifted to the Shifting Gears section. just a thought.

EDIT: i believe respect is to be comanded and not demanded. if we want someone to respect us, we better be good enough for that. work culture is certainly miles behind the europeans, americans, japanese, chinese, koreans et all

Last edited by esteem_lover : 26th November 2006 at 23:09.
Old 27th November 2006, 04:56   #38

No race is superior forever

If we take view of the last century, America looks superior. Similarly if we look at last two centuries, the europeans look superior. But if we take a historical view of the world beyond last two centuries, Indians definitely look like one time winners who are going thru a bad phase.

The point I am trying to make on this thread is, if winning today matters - we need to do a better job at improving living standards for all of us in India. Because that is how the world measures success. If this can be achieved by working hard for 5 hours or 15 hours - that should not matter. Racism exists in every race - But it looks really ugly if one race dominates the other in a company setting (like all senior managers belong to Korean or White and workers belong to Indian).
Old 27th November 2006, 08:21   #39
Team-BHP Support

With so many companies coming up in the Sriperumbadur area, if one is treated like "cattle"; there are plenty of companies around there to walk out to - Nokia, Flextronics and more.

also, Toyota and honda have experienced union action. I do not know enought to justify whether it was correct but never the less the plants are productive
Old 27th November 2006, 11:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarpee View Post
If we take view of the last century, America looks superior. Similarly if we look at last two centuries, the europeans look superior. But if we take a historical view of the world beyond last two centuries, Indians definitely look like one time winners who are going thru a bad phase.
Actually, the concept of "India" as we know it is less than a century old, i.e. a new concept born in 1947. Nothing like what it was 2000 years ago. In fact those days, India looked pretty much like Europe, politically, with small independent nations and principalities, but obviously for our generation, it is hard for us to think about our country in those terms.

The best that can be said is that, among all the ancient civilisations, the "Indian" one has survived the test of time in that, our fundamental way of life pretty much remains the same.

Whether that is really a good thing, is up for discussion.

Having said that, IMO, I must also say that every discussion or issue, where India's greatness is mentioned, we need to hark back to those days ~2000~ years ago. We need to stop doing that to convince ourself of our greatness, or delude ourselves in a similar way.

Fact of the matter is, we are in pretty bad shape today. There are a number of countries who have gained independence after us, and yet offer a standard of life to its citizens that is unthinkable for over 90% of India's population.

Its sad but true.
Old 27th November 2006, 11:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

It really hurts when they pass such bad comments, that too when india is one of the important markets for hyundai..
It could also be due to the language and culture divides and obviously the work culture..having dealt with the koreans in their own soil, i can say that the common man surely respects our country for what we have given them. i felt so great when a normal taxi driver even knows about our country and says, indo = buddha.
But the work culture there is very very hectic..people do have long working schedules and probably they expect the same from us. thats why when it comes to work, they pass such comments..

Whatever it is, i feel the workers of hyundai should raise their voice for equality..with huge boom in manufacturing, i dont think anyone would be scared of his/her job..if not hyundai..something else..what say guys!!
Old 27th November 2006, 11:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
thats becuase most indians are made to call anyone senior to them "Sir" and also knowing that if they give such treatment (like doing their personal work - pay bills, get their bank work done etc etc etc) to their seniors (be it goras or desi) they will get some fast bucks. They make themselves lowly and also consider themselves degraded the moment they see a gora (btw that gora may be driving a taxi in his country). This is so common to see here in the Gulf.

whether its koreans or any phirangs if u give over importance then u portray a very sorry self image. just take the recent brad and jolie stuff.
Sorry buddy, but i dont agree with you on dis part. The org I have worked/working in never ask me to call n e one sir, I only call my president as sir, and no one else, and that too in respect of his seniority.
In view of the mistreatement on the part of koreans, just go and see how italians behave with indians. You know, the main problem, is India has never been highlighted in the print or tv media in any of the developed ciuntries, so even now, they think that indians are filthy people and live in gutters, but there are many countries who are now taking note of India's prowess in so many fields and respect them for it leaving aside a few people ( from any nationality ).
Tell me dont we curse americans/ britons, i dont know bout you but i do... so instead of putting so much thought of misbehaviour by a few people we shold also mention good treatement by many others. Take it in good spirit yaar....

Gagan
Old 27th November 2006, 12:03   #43
BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Fact of the matter is, we are in pretty bad shape today. There are a number of countries who have gained independence after us, and yet offer a standard of life to its citizens that is unthinkable for over 90% of India's population.

Its sad but true.
and this is all created by our fellow countrymen - major contributor population, illeteracy (to the extent of voting for goons as leaders) & poverty.

but this happens not only in India,
overseas also Indians have created a very sorry self image in short prepared to work for peanuts,
eg: if u demand for something at par to your profile and are denied then my fellow countryman can do it for half of what i asked for - very common to see in Gulf.

hyundai has the same kind of thing where they know the unity of all will never be achieved and so they can misbehave in a way. end of the day if there is some misbehavior on their part our govt will allow them to proceed and book some poor dude - my view.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 27th November 2006 at 12:07.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
they think that indians are filthy people
But we are, atleast the majority of us.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:37   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
But we are, atleast the majority of us.
Speak for yourself please and don't tar others with the same brush