Team-BHP - Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/190838-tata-motors-gets-government-order-10-000-electric-vehicles-beating-mahindra-nissan-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdgawd (Post 4281302)
Came across this story that says EVs are actually impractical, and we are being led up a blind alley by car makers. Basically, lithium deposits will run out much before we get anywhere near EV targets and deadlines.

At the present rate of production, Lithium will last for 400 years. That's just the known reserves- there would be more discoveries every year as mining technologies improve. Even if you increase the product 10 times (unlikely), you get at least 40 years of Lithium with the known reserves. So, Li is not going to be a problem for electric vehicles in the short term. In the long term, you will have Sodium Ion batteries which are currently used for power storage in microgrids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan1180 (Post 4281848)
At the present rate of production, Lithium will last for 400 years. That's just the known reserves- there would be more discoveries every year as mining technologies improve. Even if you increase the product 10 times (unlikely), you get at least 40 years of Lithium with the known reserves. So, Li is not going to be a problem for electric vehicles in the short term. In the long term, you will have Sodium Ion batteries which are currently used for power storage in microgrids.

The point the story makes is that if Europe, China and India (and companies) stick to their plans, the production rate will increase massively, and replacing even half of the vehicles with EVs would see rapid depletion. And rapid increase in the cost of batteries as demand rises. (Not talking about accuracy of info in the story, no clue about that.)

Has there been any update on this order? It has been almost a month and there is still no info about the Tigor EV or its specification. Has any one seen a test mule on Indian roads yet?
Is Tata really serious about supplying 350 cars by end of this month after proper testing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 4298874)
Has there been any update on this order? It has been almost a month and there is still no info about the Tigor EV or its specification.

There you go. Specifications for the production version of Tigor EV:

Powered by a 29.8 kW motor (40BHP), it is similar to the power output of Mahindra's eVerito (~41BHP) but Tigor EV weighs lesser by almost 200kg (gross weight).

Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)!-t.jpg

"Max 30 minute power" - any idea what's this ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4302126)

I would guess, its the 30 mins quick charge that powers upto 12 KW @ a max speed of 45 Km/h. If so, this is good.

Quote:

Was checking the ARAI article on this. (Source)

From what I understand,

1. The test is conducted on the bench dynamometer or chassis dynamometer at a power declared by the manufacturer.
2. For calculating maximum power, the motor is run for 3 minutes delivering 80 % of the maximum power at speed recommended by manufacturer.
3. In the next 2 minutes, measurements are then taken at different speeds to get the proper power curve and the maximum power.

For maximum 30 minutes power.

1. The motor is run for 30 minutes.
2. The speed is recommended to be in a range, at which the net power is greater than 90% of the maximum power measured earlier.
3. This speed shall be recommended by the manufacturer.
4. The maximum 30 minutes power is the average of the power within the 30 minutes period.

More updates on this from Tata Motors:
EESL tender requirements for this order:
The sedan should have a range of 130 km on a full charge, can be fully charged in 6 hrs and should have a fast charge option of 90 minutes.

Source:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61583779.cms

Couldn't be a better time to bring it to market with all the smog hoopla. I can foresee Odd-Even being being enforced through the winter and what better time to market the EVs? They can focus on Delhi for now until they have a few thousand units on the road and they work out the manufacturing kinks and maybe figure out charging.

Completely off topic and apologies for that but could not resist questions that came to mind:

1. This is not a published document but a leak as title suggests. I wonder if it is ethical to put out a document in a public forum when the document is not meant for public domain? I don't know the answer but asking what others feel.

2. Would this not classify as Intellectual Property infringement?

3. Street scoops are different as test mules are put in public domain and people can try to catch a glimpse, few pics, specs, and speculate about those.

4. Would it not be harmful to a company's business when specs are available to rivals, specially when this tech is in nascent stage?

No offence to anyone here, but was just thinking from ethics view point - something that T-bhp stands for.

[quote=Rodie09;4303243]Completely off topic and apologies for that but could not resist questions that came to mind:

1. This is not a published document but a leak as title suggests. I wonder if it is ethical to put out a document in a public forum when the document is not meant for public domain? I don't know the answer but asking what others feel.QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with you on each & every point. I was shocked to see ARAI certificate on a responsible platform like team-bhp.
No offence to anyone, but it gave me some uncomfortable vibes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodie09 (Post 4303243)
I wonder if it is ethical to put out a document in a public forum when the document is not meant for public domain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 4303261)
I was shocked to see ARAI certificate on a responsible platform like team-bhp.
No offence to anyone, but it gave me some uncomfortable vibes

Relax guys, no need to worry. Strictly speaking, the image is not of an ARAI document, but a partial snapshot of a public circular that a state government issues when a vehicle gets 'type approval' for that state.

Rest assured, it is in public domain, just not easily accessible :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4Ever (Post 4303278)
Relax guys, no need to worry. Strictly speaking, the image is not of an ARAI document, but a partial snapshot of a public circular that a state government issues when a vehicle gets 'type approval' for that state.

Rest assured, it is in public domain, just not easily accessible :)

Thanks Senna4Ever for sharing the clarification. No problems if it is officially in public domain.:thumbs up

Quote:

Its a very gray area at the moment, even with ARAI and many reporting agencies (VCA and TUV) they have to indicate some sort of power rating to quantify against an ICE based vehicle. As more and more companies want to be part of the EV craze, its looking like more homologation agencies are re-developing the EV standards.

For the basis of the topic I am pretty surprised with the Kw rating especially coming from a AC motor. also the company isn't TATA (or Jaguar since they have a EV system in the new Range Rover). Electra EV, sounds very startupish.

Tata bagged the bigger order, but Mahindra delivers it first:

Quote:

Mahesh Babu, CEO, Mahindra Electric handing over keys on a ceremonial delivery of Mahindra Electric Verito under EESL tender to Saurabh Kumar, MD of EESL in presence of Ajay Kumar Bhalla, Secretary, Ministry of Power and his team.
Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)!-_dsc0055.jpg