Team-BHP - Painted Tata Indica bodies being transported
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Painted Tata Indica bodies being transported (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/19092-painted-tata-indica-bodies-being-transported.html)

In the past four weeks, on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, especially around Khalapur-Sajgaon, I notice trailer trucks carrying gleaming fully painted Tata Indica body shells, sans upholstery and sans glass.

Each trailer has exactly four carrosseries. Some are wrapped in polyethylene sheets and some are bare.

But they seem to be travelling both towards Mumbai and towards Pune, and that does intrigue!

What do you suppose is going on?

Ram

The tata paintshop burnt down so now they are using the fiats paint shop. hence all the bodies are being sent there for painting.

Thanks for that quick answer vid6639.

Based on your information, my curiosity found this on the web.
The Hindu Business Line : Tata Motors' paint job may go to Fiat

And the probable explanation is that
the unpainted bodies go to Fiat wrapped in polyethylene to protect them from the elements, while the fully painted bodies return from Fiat, exposed to sun, dust, tree-sap and bird-droppings.

Not commercially meaningful in India to care enough about the consumer, eh?

This was explained somewhere earlier I think.
TATA is currently using FIAT's Kurla plant for their painting job.

That's curious! The unpainted body goes wrapped and the painted ones comes bare!
Maybe, the unpainted shells are more fatal to dust than the painted ones???

No Zak I'm guessing If the bare ones aren't covered then they have to be cleaned up before they go to paint. If it's covered and brought clean it can directly go for painting.
Now after painting they really dont care as it's going to be assembled again washed and just go for transportation.

Yes - its all abt the doing the bare minimum at the very end - when delivering the car to the customer's hands that its really cleaned. All along, after fabrication till delivery of the cars to the dealers is a web of dont-care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram (Post 328165)

And the probable explanation is that
the unpainted bodies go to Fiat wrapped in polyethylene to protect them from the elements, while the fully painted bodies return from Fiat, exposed to sun, dust, tree-sap and bird-droppings.

Could be because the surface has to be spotlessly clean for painting. After paint, its good to go. Its exposed to the same elements as your Maruri or my Honda.

Mercedes is supposed to be sharing their paintshop. Wonder what will happen to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 328310)

Mercedes is supposed to be sharing their paintshop. Wonder what will happen to them.

They have their own paint shop now if I am right else they will import fully painted

good thing you brought this up ram. i was wondering the same thing the day before when we were coming back from pune. i also noticed that there was no pattern for the covering of the cars. sometimes, the cars going to pune had the covers and sometimes the other way around.

they used the kurla plant some days ago

now they dont.. as that kurla plant is history..

Good to know but the post is quite old..eh!!