Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no specific or express provision in the Consumer Protection Act that prevents false and misleading advertisements from being broadcasted in the Country. However, the legal recourse would be to file Consumer Complaints against Renault for unfair trade practices.
We can register a complaint here - https://ascionline.org/index.php/lod...omplaints.html

I will be doing it once I reach home, but I would encourage more people to raise a complaint there.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
This classic (and hugely deplorable) "bait and switch" technique employed by Renault needs to be nipped in the bud, and I encourage everyone to share their views on the Forum and elsewhere. The reach must be widespread and should catch the attention of everyone in Renault India's ivory tower.
Absolute pathetic from Renault. I thought the airbag saga was a low but they have outdone themselves with this con job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Thankfully, the K(C)aptur would make more people realize how good the Tata and Maruti products are.
Lets not glorify Maruti. S-cross and Brezza are overpriced hatchbacks. I dont think they have even tested by gncap. Will pick up Duster/Captur/Terrano over these any day.
C300 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:35   #18
BHPian

Folks -

One quick question in case anybody knows the answer.

How many of the awards in that Ad were actually given to the Kaptur (captur) in India?

Thanks.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:38   #19
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
This classic (and hugely deplorable) "bait and switch" technique employed by Renault needs to be nipped in the bud, and I encourage everyone to share their views on the Forum and elsewhere. The reach must be widespread and should catch the attention of everyone in Renault India's ivory tower.
Why don't the mods create a separate thread to highlight the con job Renault is doing ? With a separate thread it gets easier to share on FB and highlight it.
rbp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, there is no specific or express provision in the Consumer Protection Act that prevents false and misleading advertisements from being broadcasted in the Country. However, the legal recourse would be to file Consumer Complaints against Renault for unfair trade practices.
Suhaas and other members,

Protection against false and misleading advertisement is provided under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. Request you all to have a look at Section 2(1)(r) of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.

Please see below the relevant provisions of the section:

"2(1)(r) "unfair trade practice" means a trade practice which, for the purpose of promoting the sale, use or supply of any goods or for the provision of any service, adopts any unfair method or unfair or deceptive practice including any of the following practices, namely:--

(1) the practice of making any statement, whether orally or in writing or by visible representation which,--

(i) falsely represents that the goods are of a particular standard, quality, quantity, grade, composition, style or model;

(ii) falsely represents that the services are of a particular standard, quality or grade;

(iv) represents that the goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance, characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits which such goods or services do not have;

(v) represents that the seller or the supplier has a sponsorship or approval or affiliation which such seller or supplier does not have;

(vi) makes a false or misleading representation concerning the need for, or the usefulness of, any goods or services..."

Renault, by indulging in this false and misleading act, has pretty much attracted all the provisions above.

Time to put your foot down guys.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 3rd October 2017 at 20:14.
Enigmatic is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

A good thing to do would be to start our official review with a disclaimer pointing out the misleading wordplay.

A review will get more long-term views than a thread dedicated to the con-job.

Mods?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:52   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian customer

CrAzY dRiVeR, many thanks for posting this! Am moving it to a new thread so that people don't get fooled.

A part of me is very sad to see a manufacturer stooping to such low levels, while the other part of me is damn angry at the intentional deceit. Renault - a large MNC - is resorting to the kind of cheap tricks that we'd expect streetside vendors to. Think of a guy flashing his teeth, selling you a 300 rupee pair of denims and insisting "saar, it's 100% genuine Levis". Renault did just that. They even went in on deceiving branding (Captur, Kaptur), like the roadside dude who pastes a fake Levis label onto his cheap denims.

This thread is going to the homepage.

Someone please download & save the YouTube video in case Renault takes it off. And as theexperthand suggested, register your complaint here - https://ascionline.org/index.php/lod...omplaints.html

Reminds me of a trick that National Garage (an HM dealer) had played in the 90s. Slapped the front & rear end of a Mercedes onto a Contessa and called it 'Concedes'

P.S. Let's see how many other media report on the matter.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2017 at 21:26.
GTO is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian customer

GTO, just add a disclaimer that views shared on this thread are based on official ads by Renault in India about the Captur.

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd October 2017 at 20:59.
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Always had a doubt about how different the Captur was to the Duster except for the shell. Also, wondered why it should be priced higher, since the interiors didn't seem upmarket as well. Now, we know.

Absolutely disgusting piece of work from Renault.

Good job, Crazy Driver.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

I was wondering about the discrepancy in nomenclature when the name was finalized here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
6) And I also confused by Renault' nomenclature:
Captur is the compact and much more modern crossover for the developed markets based on the Clio.
Kaptur is what we are getting here along with other developing markets based on the Duster. It is much bigger but looks and feels old.
Wonder why Renault is calling it Captur and not the Kaptur here then. It is easy to look beyond that name!
And your post has the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why did Renault rebrand the Duster based Kaptur to Captur to mimic their Clio based European car?

To mislead people into believing this -
This can do the brand a lot of harm in the long run in this age of social media and I guess rightly so.

It is sad to note that Renault is still resorting to cheap tactics in our market. Thought NCAP pulling Renault out after the pitiful showing of both Kwid and Duster would have put some sense into the top management here.

Renault manufactured different versions of the Kwid for the crash tests after the first car had failed dreadfully. They even sent a modified Kwid with different build for both left and right side for the car to clear the overlap test. And recently NCAP had condemned Renault for the small sized airbag on the Duster. Alas, it looks like they haven't learned from all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I am sorry that I didn't understand much of the outcry above. So it means "C"aptur is based on clio and "K"aptur is derived from Duster platform? And clio being a hatchback is made on a weak platform compared to Duster?

So it means that "C"aptur cannot be priced more than Duster?

Or I understood it wrongly?
To give you a perspective, let's look at the pricing of these cars in the UK.

Renault Clio starts at £12,445
Renault Captur starts at £15,615

Dacia Duster starts at £9,945. And that is cheaper than most mainstream hatchbacks like the Fiesta or the Polo over in the UK.

Don't get me wrong! The Duster there is a brilliant value for money car which is very capable for the money one spends there. But the quality is not up to the mark and that's the reason why Renault is selling it as a Dacia there. The R&D and engineering that has gone into the Clio platform is higher than that of the Duster. That's the reason why the UK Captur is so costly even though its a very compact vehicle.

If Renault were to sell the Indian 'Captur' in the UK, they would have branded it Dacia Kaptur. But here in out market, they think they can get away with all these stunts.
deetjohn is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:46   #26
BHPian

To be fair to Renault, this "conjob" (if that is what it is) is not exclusive to India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Captur

It's called Captur in Brazil & Argentina, Russia and India. The european spec clio based Captur is not sold in any of these markets.

Now in Russia, the alphabet 'c' sounds like "s" in sam. This is from the Russian tutorial given below. The alphabet 'K' in russian sounds like 'c' in Cat. That is the reason it's spelled as 'Kaptur'

http://www.russianlessons.net/lesson...1_alphabet.php

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 3rd October 2017 at 21:51.
vishnurp99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
CrAzY dRiVeR, many thanks for posting this! Am moving it to a new thread

[b]Someone please download & save the YouTube video in case Renault
Thanks to CrAzY dRiVeR for very informative post. had to read post again and again to understand, still its confusing!!!!!!!!!!!

Let this malafide intent be revealed out in open.

@GTO all the videos 3 downloaded. How to upload / share ~29MB (.rar) as the attachment exceeds the forum attachment limit, thanks
novicefreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:34   #28
BHPian

This is shocking. I have registered my complaint as suggested by theexperthand.

I have been a fan of Duster purely for its exterior look and was seriously considering it as my next change. When a company can fall to this to add few sales numbers to its tally, it is scary to think of A.S.S. Renault and Skoda are two brands that can never give me peace of mind and cars from them will be ignored for the only reason that they are from them.
mudhasir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:48   #29
BHPian

Renault India has a Facebook page(https://www.facebook.com/RenaultIndia/) and it may be worthwhile to post the question of whether the European Kaptur and the Indian Captur are based on the same platform. Renault seems to be actively responding on this page and it'll be interesting to see what they have to say on this matter where they are grossly misleading prospective buyers.
vikramk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:49   #30
Team-BHP Support

I can't find the ad now but I remember Renault India used to have print ads of the F1 cars and then say their road cars get the same technology. I think it was for the K9K 1.5L diesel. So this is not surprising.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed