Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 12:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Since I have been working with reputed OEM's and seen things from a close view, it is seldom that Indian Engineers work on new projects and often utilized for least value addition works. We still do not know the localization content inside Indian Captur barring the mechanicals which is a copy paste job from Duster. We also do not know if Renault is selling the first batch of vehicles in the form of CKD kits till they develop local vendors.

Last edited by deehunk : 4th October 2017 at 12:32.
Old 4th October 2017, 12:11   #92
BHPian

Re: Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Sorry, S-Cross and Brezza are much better cars than the Duster. Except the size of the car, there is little going for the Duster.
Now we are saying Brezza is better than Duster. Do check the underbody of Brezza. They haven't even covered the oil sump of this wannabe SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
And mind you, the S-Cross is really a premium car. Duster is a Dacia, and Renault would never dare sell it as a Renault in the European market.
Is it? Then MSIL should not have any issues publishing the crash test ratings of the Indian version?

What Renault has done is a conjob but lets not glorify MSIL who are the original con artists. They are equally responsible for this mess.
C300 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Wow! That's surely a new low for Renault India. First the small sized airbags on Indian variant of Duster and now this!

I am glad this was brought out to everyone's notice at Team-BHP (Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR ). Renault needs to correct this and pull up their marketing team who thought this would have been okay in India!
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Contrary to your belief - I believe we might actually be helping them, if it makes them wake up from this premium dream they are living - and see the market reality. Hope it has become a discussion point now. Ball is in their court now, and it's all upto them.

Both the engineering and marketing teams are not going to taste success unless they price it honest for what it is.
I have to agree with your points.
They are very sensible ones. From what I was informed, the car has been made to meet Euro safety norms as it will be exported from India.
So commenting on the safety part which many members have done is not justifiable till the actual crash tests are done.

We have to wait and understand how much of a compromised product it is as compared to the European one.

Thanks for the healthy discussion.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:31   #95
BHPian

What a sham it is turning out to be. Like the old saying goes, Renault would not have taken the ad down if they did not have something to hide. I was just googling to see if anyone had reported on the Clio-Duster mix up and interestingly, came across this link:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st...1/1055451.html

The story clearly says that Indian version is based on Duster rather than Clio for the developed markets. This again calls their bluff if Renault had intended to designate Indian Captur as the European namesake.

Slightly OT: I have a strong feeling that with so many manufacturers vying for the marketshare, we have lost out on the good old days where cars used to have probably only 3 trims - Basic, Mid Variant and Top variant with each laying out exactly what people will expect from those trims. I want to replace my 6 year old Santro, but once on the market, I dont think any car today provides such a value for money purchase.

Coming back to this issue, it is in no doubt bad taste and with most Automotive magazines being provided advertisement revenues by all the manufacturers, truth may well be hidden under layers of such quid pro quo deals.

Thanks Crazy_Driver & GTO for ensuring such shams are heard and actioned upon.
theroadrunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:32   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
From what I was informed, the car has been made to meet Euro safety norms as it will be exported from India.
So commenting on the safety part which many members have done is not justifiable till the actual crash tests are done.
This is also debatable. As many manufactures have 2 separate versions. One for domestic and one for export markets.

Lets see what the crash test shows.
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:33   #97
Senior - BHPian

I thank CrAzY dRiVeR and the moderators for this thread. Simple fact is that Renault chose to differentiate the Duster-based Kaptur from the Clio-based Captur in the Russian/Brazilian markets by giving it a different name. For the India market, they chose to try and fool the customers by selling Duster-based Kaptur with the name of the EU-spec version. It shows how Renault views our market.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:35   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is also debatable. As many manufactures have 2 separate versions. One for domestic and one for export markets.

Lets see what the crash test shows.
Renault had different versions of Kwid with different body Shells in India . Knowing Renault, it's unlikely that they would provide the same body shell for Indian market. But we can hope for the best as new safety norms are going to be introduced in India.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
abcdefghijkl.... undermined the massive effort put in by engineers, both Indian and French, in developing the Captur for India. As pointed by Sudeep_Kimster, its not an easy task to marry the body and platform of two different cars. It speaks volumes of the how auto R&D in India has grown over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
abcdefghijkl......

I agree to whatever advantages the Clio based Kaptur has in terms of being a well engineered product, but the efforts Indian engineers have put shouldn't go just waste as well.
I'm a little confused.

Given that the Duster-based Kaptur (or B0 platform version, in Renault nomenclature) has been in production in Russia since April last year (which is well over a year and half ago) exactly what efforts did the Indian engineers have to put in (pun not intended) to "marry the body and platform" of the B platform European version with the Duster?

Apart from the fact that there is no separate "body" and "platform" in monocoques, which makes the entire (alleged) development by "Indian engineers" quite redundant.

The fraud sought to be perpetuated by Renault should not be diluted by any false notions of virtue.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th October 2017 at 12:40.
Steeroid is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:36   #100
BHPian

Is it that difficult to put in an honest effort to build a product that is safe enough and has quality material? I am sure nobody minds paying a premium for such a product. Case in point Tiago, City, Verna, Hexa, EcoSport and more recently launched Nexon. Should the manufacture stoop down to such low levels to sell a product? Anything to gain market share? Talks volume about the company and its culture.

Got to give it Tata and Ford for their honest and transparent efforts. Results will surely follow, even if it is slow and steady.
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:41   #101
BHPian

Guys correct me if i'am wrong and no offense to anyone but does'nt this happen all the time?
I mean many cars are here have much less structral intergrity and strength of steel as their international versions, they mostly miss out on most of the features, they feature older and inferior engines as car compared to the international versions so basically they are just clones of the car they are based upon which happen to just look like them.
They will still promote it as the same car and will mention all the awards it recieved and even the europian NCAP rating when they clearly know the Indian version they are marketing is not built to that standard.
Horrible practices which must be stopped no doubt but does'nt this happen all the time?
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:46   #102
psn
BHPian

First of all- Congratulations and thank you crazy_driver, GTO and moderators for this post.

Secondly, and this gets me absolutely very angry- This is blatant lying, to the not so informed Indian public, who will easily mistake a Captur from Kaptur, when technically it is a Duster based SUV and nowhere related to Renault Kaptur.
The fact that Indian made Duster did not get any accolades for its safety in the NCAP may also, reflect in this car(assumption-hopefully wrong), should be highlighted by people like us, through such a forum.
Renault India, has to take responsibility for passing off inferior products in India and miss-guided advertising should be dealt with very seriously by the paying public and Government.
In India, Car is the second biggest purchase that we make, and no company should be allowed to take our hard earned money and give us inferior products, which compromise our families safety, without clearly informing me of the risk of that product.
If i choose to after all the correct information, decide to still buy it, then its on me. But mis-guiding me, Not acceptable.

Last edited by psn : 4th October 2017 at 12:50.
psn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: but previous gen i20 use to boast about 5 Star Safety on all trims. I am not sure if the structural rigidity of the platform was similar to what has been rated as 5 star by NCAP leave aside the active and passive safety measures. I can only assume the top trim with 6 airbags and rear discs to be close to 5 star not the rest of the trims.

We are a second grade market for most of the manufacturers just that we have been classified as "developing markets" !

Whichever manufacturer gets a chance to fool us - does it at the first available opportunity !

Last edited by i74js : 4th October 2017 at 12:49.
Old 4th October 2017, 12:52   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Considering the mad rush that other auto websites are always in to post about 'stickered variants' and 'new body colours', I'm surprised no one else has reported on this serious issue? Period.

Reminds me of the Kawasaki fiasco. Those cheated customers had gone to everyone, but no one lent them a ear - link. At least not until it was up on Team-BHP.

To BHPians .
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Whichever manufacturer gets a chance to fool us - does it at the first available opportunity !
The market is equally to blame too. We tend to write-off honest and sincere hard work put in by Indian manufacturers through brand-racism, dissing their products without even bothering to try them out purely because of a false sense of superiority from driving a 'phoren' product.

We bring this upon ourselves - why blame the marketing chaps for taking advantage of our inbuilt sense of inferiority?
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks