Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 15:10   #121
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

I am not against what Renault did mechanically (duster platform + Captur exterior) with Kaptur given the success they had with the Duster, but at least they should have had guts to say that yes its another duster with a better face. The Captur(real Renault) is based on Clio which belongs to a hot hatch category which means its chassis is very capable and should not be confused with the Dacia. This is truly unethical from Renault.

First they made lighter Kwids (viz v Brazil which is also a BRIC nation) for India, then they installed smaller airbags in Duster and now this. No wonder Renault India never comes in my mind when I suggest cars to people.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 15:54   #122
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Even though it has been out in the open for a long time that the European Captur is based on Clio and the Indian Kaptur is based on Duster, only a few thousand very well informed enthusiasts know that. Other common customers don't have the time and knowledge to dig very deep about such differences. Renault is trying to take advantage of that fact. However, they have failed to toe the legal boundaries in blatantly misleading customers. They are going to regret this low life tactics.

Hats off to @CrazyDriver. Registered a complaint with ASCI as suggested.
Gildarts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:32   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
This is the most useless thread I have seen in Tbhp for a long long time, rather the first insensitive one.
Renault is World's biggest French manufacturer, Largest Aliiance car maker in the world with Nissan.
Before raising allegations its important to do some ground work.
Yes its based on Duster platform rather than Clio platform, which was longer, expensive and was not made for powertrains available in Indian sub continent.
All dies and tools for Captur were imported from Russia. So entirety of BIW is same as worldwide
Indian engineers have done a great job integrating the Duster platform into the Monocoque of actual Captur.
That's called cost effectiveness.

This is really disgusting to see such posts being entertained.
I am one privileged person to have driven the Clio based Kaptur, which wasn't spacious in any terms and the Indian Captur has been made to meet Indian customers demands.

I am really disheartened to see such posts here.
I request Moderators please do look into the facts and figures before alleging a Huge Organization of being con.
How is it a useless thread? Renault tried to fool us Indians. Period. Trying to call that out is foolish?
chennai-indian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I am really disheartened to see such posts here.
I request Moderators please do look into the facts and figures before alleging a Huge Organization of being con.
That's the spirit @ Team-BHP; to point out what's not right in the right way and I agree with Chennai-Indian on this. This is a great post and educates people like me who were not aware of the fact.

The question here is not whether the Indian engineers have done a great job / not. The question here is why does a BIG company like Renault lie about its product willfully. To add to the shame, they have now pulled down the ad. What does that say?

On a separate note, 'my' take on the Captur is that its not going to bring good sales for Renault. Though I have not seen it personally yet, the pics raise a lot of questions for me. Especially the quality of the plastics look too cheap for a premium car and the ergonomics seems awkward. One instance is the positioning of the start button. At this price point I expect more.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:30   #125
BHPian

I am confused as hell, surely seems like an act to deceive folks who aren't well versed on these aspects and provide misinformation to gain a few customers!
If the Organization drives things this way, you can only imagine all the info (incorrectly) the sales folks on the floor would provide just to ensure people sign on the dotted line.
Old 4th October 2017, 19:37   #126
BHPian

Renault messed up big time with this act. They removed the culprit video & some tough talk gonna happen at HQ. What they did was fraud. No two ways about it.

Now some folks here are all out to fold the company for it. Sumit Sawhney is no saint, make no mistake but the decent vehicles they sell here do not deserve that bashing. I moved to a more powerful Hyundai from Kwid & i miss it everytime i take the Korean out. My next A-seg would again be a Kwid, probably bettered by the time i'm spending again & i would any day take a Duster AWD over anything else out there. So to say Renault got erased from minds of petrolheads due to this conjob is taking it too far.

Attack the act, not the entire existence. The small size airbag is unforgivable & they didn't pay for it because no regulations exist. The one sided strengthening was to raise the ratings of their budget offering & they did by 1-star, while its competitors are all sitting pretty at 0-stars. They didn't even have to take it to the test & yet they did, & got by using a loophole. Both these things above got the Sawhney touch all over it. The Kwid fuel issue recall wasn't a discreet job, wonder why many here make it sound so. It was well communicated & the entire fuel tank was replaced due to a design shortcoming.

Good job CD & given the unethical nature of its Indian operations due to its CEO, expect more such marketing level lies. But their vehicles are honest for the most part.

This K/Captur whatever is one confused thing with absolutely no USP. It was highly unnecessary to try pull off such a stinker with this expected stillborn.

615ee53eb37e is my ASCI complaint tracking ID regarding this fraud. This in no way make me gonna dis their vehicles.
SandyX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand why some members can not understand a simple thing like this.

Ram has two sons.

Sundar and Bandar.

Sundar won a boxing championship in London.

But, in India, Ram says Bandar won that championship.

Ram is an ass.

--

On a serious note, both the cars are different, in size and specs. It is ethically wrong to promote one car's awards for the other.

Even if it had been the same car, but with different specs, it would have been wrong.

Ram is an ass.
ashutoshb is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:09   #128
BHPian

This deceit in the Ad is as ridiculous as the supposed global product which Renault is trying to shove down our throat in India

Interview with CEO
Q. What is the USP of this car?
A. It is the longest and widest SUV in its category. It is a global winner and is loaded with features

Q. Which segment does this car belong to?
A. It is creating a new segment because it is the longest and widest SUV. It is a global winner and is loaded with features

Q. Which are the key competitors of this car?
A. There is No competition because it is the longest and widest SUV in its category. It is a global winner and is loaded with features

Q. Sir, is this a SUV or a CUV?
A. It is C for Sugar because it is the longest and widest in its category. It is a global winner and is loaded with features

Q. Which model are you launching here in India. You have Captur in European markets based on Clio platform and Kaptur in Russia which is based on the Duster platform?
A. We are launching an Indian model because it is the longest and widest SUV in its category. It is a global winner and is loaded with features

And I forgot to mention a key difference, to Indianize it we increased the ground clearance to 210mm. Truly Indian!

Q. Finally Sir, will it be called Captur or Kaptur?
A. It will be called

Name:  Renault Captur.png
Views: 2943
Size:  207.4 KB

I will let you do the English translation
damager21 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:13   #129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering the mad rush that other auto websites are always in to post about 'stickered variants' and 'new body colours', I'm surprised no one else has reported on this serious issue? Period.
The silence from everywhere else is deafening.

Nevertheless, Zee Business is the only other media to mention it. Renault didn't respond to their queries:

Quote:
Renault India did not respond to queries regarding the same sent by the Zeebiz team till the time of publishing this article.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:22   #130
BHPian

Re: Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Now we are saying Brezza is better than Duster. Do check the underbody of Brezza. They haven't even covered the oil sump of this wannabe SUV.
The Brezza at 10L is a lot better than the Duster at 15L. At least Maruti is honest about what it sells. It is funny that Renault could make customers shell out 15L for those bulging wheel arches. Make no mistake, many gullible customers would still fall for the Captur con job too.
Quote:
Is it? Then MSIL should not have any issues publishing the crash test ratings of the Indian version?

What Renault has done is a conjob but lets not glorify MSIL who are the original con artists. They are equally responsible for this mess.
S-Cross is definitely a much better car. It is based on a modern platform compared to the ageing Logan platform. At least it does not rust like the Duster, does it?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...all-india.html
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:24   #131
Senior - BHPian

A lot of marketing work is outsourced. This could be the result of overenthusiastic (but ignorant of cars) copywriters. (Remember Tata's and also I think Mahindra's using pictures of other companies vehicles on their company literature). ( Am a firm believer in Hanlons Razor). But that does not account for the very deliberate change in (the spelling) of the name. If premeditated with malicious forethought ...

Quote:
Renault is World's biggest French manufacturer,
What exactly is world's biggest French manufacturer? I would think one is either the Worlds biggest of Frances biggest.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A lot of marketing work is outsourced. This could be the result of overenthusiastic (but ignorant of cars) copywriters. ..
Doubt it. The CEO repeatedly talked about it being a very popular car in Europe in his video with Ranbir Kapoor.
octane_100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:51   #133
BHPian

Well well. Renault is cutting a really sorry figure, first with the smaller airbags for duster, and now this. Both the episodes are highly unethical IMO and Renault should be made to pay a heavy price. I am sure this thread will go a long way towards ensuring that. We really can do very well even without such unethical manufacturers in our markets.
Old 4th October 2017, 21:52   #134
BHPian

CEO confronted with a direct question face-to-face:

Q. How can you advertise and promote Captur launched in India as the one which won awards elsewhere when it is quite clear that both are different cars?

A. Obviously both are different cars. This is the Indian version of the award winning car .

From Renault's website-

"After turning heads on the streets of Russia, Argentina, Brazil and beyond, the Renault CAPTUR now makes its way to India. Bearing the distinctive expressive styling that is a hallmark of its rich lineage, the Renault CAPTUR is a whole new class of vehicle - India's first premium SUV with strong crossover DNA."
Old 4th October 2017, 22:01   #135
Senior - BHPian

I think, rather than asking renault's management, who are suspect to spin their way out of this question like above, the question should be posed to the mags which awarded these titles. Even if they are being paid to use their award, I doubt they would allow or acknowledge such blatant misappropriation

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th October 2017 at 22:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks