Team-BHP - Mahindra launches XUV500's W9 variant at Rs 15.45 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra launches XUV500's W9 variant at Rs 15.45 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/190970-mahindra-launches-xuv500s-w9-variant-rs-15-45-lakhs.html)

Domestic auto major Mahindra & Mahindra has launched an all-new W9 variant in the XUV500's lineup, priced at Rs 15.45 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Available in both manual and AT transmissions, the W9 variant comes loaded with features such as an electric sunroof with anti-pinch, reverse camera with dynamic assist, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, EcoSense technology, Android Auto, emergency call and dual airbags, among others.

The complete list of features of the W9 variant includes:Commenting on the launch of the W9 variant, Mr Veejay Ram Nakra, chief of Sales & Marketing - Automotive Division, M&M, said:
Quote:

"Since its launch in 2011, the XUV500 has been a pioneer in providing innovative hi-tech features that are not available even in vehicles that are almost double its price. The introduction of these hi-end features at such a competitive price-point will generate a lot of interest.”
The XUV500 is powered by a 2.2 litre diesel engine with 140hp of power and 330 Nm of torque. It is available with 6-speed manual and AT boxes, in both AWD and FWD layouts.

Autocar Professional

Good variant. But what's missing as compared to the W10? Almost all the highlight features of the W10 seems to be present in the W9 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4280804)
Good variant. But what's missing as compared to the W10? Almost all the highlight features of the W10 seems to be present in the W9 as well.

Mostly W10 will be launched with upgraded engine (170 Bhp) in few weeks of time and has the same set of features except engine IMO.

Just checked it in website.
W8 has been removed and AWD is only available in W10.
Connected Apps, Brake Energy Regeneration, Logo Projection Lamps on ORVMs, Side & Curtain Airbags, Power Adjustable Driver's Seat (6-Way), Leather Upholstery are some of the differences between W10 & W9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4280795)
Domestic auto major Mahindra & Mahindra has launched an all-new W9 variant in the XUV500's lineup, priced at Rs 15.45 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Autocar Professional

Quite surprising as people were expecting a higher variant with the rumored 170bhp engine. I hope this comes with the side and curtain airbags also. It would be great to know the features that it gains from W8 and loses from W10.

Launched in 2011 eh? 6 years means XUV 500 is quite long in the tooth for a Rs. 15 to 20 Lakh car. About time an all new XUV 500 is launched.

On the bright side, fans of current gen XUV 500 and fans of numerology can expect launch of new odd number (W3, W5, W7) variants soon.

Complete list of differences between the W9 and the W10 variants:

Mahindra launches XUV500's W9 variant at Rs 15.45 lakhs-untitled.jpg
(Click on the image above to open in a *NEW* window)

Models Feature-wise Comparison

Updated Official Brochure Download Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4280804)

They have compromised on safety. W8 and W10 have six airbags which is not present in W9.
Now with W8 is no longer available, six airbags option is available only on the top variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4280795)

As always safety takes a backseat :deadhorse
W8 had six airbags and was pretty much loaded in terms of features, this is a regressive move by Mahindra. Pathetic to say the least. :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by aks_karthik (Post 4280807)
Mostly W10 will be launched with upgraded engine (170 Bhp) in few weeks of time and has the same set of features except engine IMO.

Good logical catch there!

I always wondered why Mahindra used to have the numbers like 4/6/8/10. Now it makes sense. There is an opportunity to add an intermediate number everywhere!!

I think within an year or so, we should start seeing W 7.5, W0.5 (same as a truck chassis driving out of the Ashok Leyland factory) etc.

I think they should now also replace the "W" with "X" for XUV500. For Scorpio, TUV300 it is S and T already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4280939)
I think they should now also replace the "W" with "X" for XUV500. For Scorpio, TUV300 it is S and T already.

BMW already has the similar nomenclature so not sure if Mahindra would use 'X' instead of 'W'.

Just that BMW goes the odd number way (X1, X3, X5) and Mahindra the even number way (W4, W6, W10).

Quote:

I think they should now also replace the "W" with "X" for XUV500......

BMW would like to have a word with you.:)

Quote:

I think within an year or so, we should start seeing W 7.5, W0.5 (same as a truck chassis driving out of the Ashok Leyland factory) etc.

I can only hope that guys at Mahindra are not reading your statement, jokes apart my personal opinion is when it comes to innovation in cars M&M beats every homegrown company with comfortable margin. Be it the 2L diesel ban in NCR or e2o or their good advertisements.
Regarding W in XUV variants, may be it has to do with internal code name of vehicle.
Odd numbered variants may be added to other models as well(later on).

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.MJet (Post 4280868)
They have compromised on safety. W8 and W10 have six airbags which is not present in W9.
Now with W8 is no longer available, six airbags option is available only on the top variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedmiester (Post 4280906)
As always safety takes a backseat :deadhorse
W8 had six airbags and was pretty much loaded in terms of features, this is a regressive move by Mahindra. Pathetic to say the least. :deadhorse

Couldnt agree more. It almost seems like Mahindra is going backwards in line with what competition is trying to do like in case of Compass. When I bought W8 prev gen it was the top end and only features missing compared to current W10 were sunroof, keyless entry and few minor ones. With new gen they retained both W8 and W10 with all safety options and left the marketing bling features for W10. By including W9 and removing W8, Mahindra is essentially saying that all the bling features come first and pay more if you want safety. But considering models like MuX, Endeavor also feature 2 airbags on lower variants, Mahindra would have done their market study about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertinu (Post 4281109)
Mahindra is essentially saying that all the bling features come first and pay more if you want safety.

That is how the market behaves. We, a small community of enthusiasts understand safety should be first priority but its only the OEMs who know what exactly works in this market having first hand data of variant wise demand.

A close friend recently purchased a W6 AT comfortably fitting his budget, I literally begged of him to go for W8 only for the additional airbags, but in vain.

Moreover this move looks more to do with competition from Hexa IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertinu (Post 4281109)
Mahindra is essentially saying that all the bling features come first and pay more if you want safety. But considering models like MuX, Endeavor also feature 2 airbags on lower variants, Mahindra would have done their market study about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.MJet (Post 4281131)
That is how the market behaves.

It's more a case of why should I bother when nobody else is bothering. The 15-20L buyer today is not what he was when the XUV was initially launched. Awareness has definitely increased. What is required is disruption. All it takes is one competitor to offer 6 airbags as standard, and everyone will have to follow suit. Otherwise you can't compete! This is pretty much how touchscreens went from being a novelty found in premium cars to essentials now seen in entry level hatchbacks.

But then again, knowing how things work, this is wishful thinking. Manufacturers are least bothered about safety. The only real hope for disruption is Tata. If they make 6 airbags std on their upcoming Land Rover based SUV, it will well and truly set the cat amongst pigeons and force everyone else to react.