Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 17:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Hyundai Tucson AWD coming up. EDIT: Launched at 25.19 lakhs

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Hyundai has silently stopped production of the top-end GLS trim of the Tucson which is offered with a diesel engine and FWD configuration. This top of the line variant will be replaced by an AWD variant in same specification. The AWD system currently used by Hyundai on the international markets will most likely be the one used in India. The system is an on-demand one which routes the engine's power to the wheels with the best traction. It can also be locked to provide the power in a 50:50 front to rear split.

With the recent discontinuation of the Santa Fe, there was a lack of a 4WD model in the Hyundai line-up. It appears that Hyundai will launch the Tucson AWD to fill the void. The exact details about the changes in the SUV are not yet known. According to the information received, the production of the AWD Tucson has already begun and dealers are offering to deliver the car in 20-25 days.

The Tucson is powered by 2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol and diesel engines that put out 153 BHP / 192 Nm and 182 BHP / 400 Nm respectively. Hyundai offers the top-end GLS variant only with the diesel engine which is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. The AWD is expected to be offered on this powertrain.

Scoop! Hyundai Tucson AWD coming up. EDIT: Launched at 25.19 lakhs-2016hyundaitucson.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 5th October 2017 at 17:21.
blackwasp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 17:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Hyundai Tucson AWD coming up. EDIT: Launched at 25.19 lakhs

Not sure exactly, of what use is a 4wd system in a vehicle having just 170mm of Ground Clearance.
The only scenario where this will be of use, will be in proper snow or extreme mud (which is rare).
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 18:00   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A lot of SUVs around it & above now offer AWD - XUV500, Hexa, Jeep Compass, VW Tiguan etc. so Hyundai just had to.

Am personally very happy with the addition. I firmly believe that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. This will also expand the Tucson's target market to include enthusiasts who tour the corners of India. With the Tucson, you are more or less guaranteed a fuss-free ownership experience (unlike the Europeans) and it's a lot cheaper than the likes of the Tiguan too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Not sure exactly, of what use is a 4wd system in a vehicle having just 170mm of Ground Clearance.
Hardly any of the crossovers can really 'offroad'. However, an AWD certainly helps on slippery surfaces like wet grass, muck, sand, slush etc. It could be the difference between your getting out & getting stuck.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2017 at 12:34.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 18:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hyundai has silently stopped production of the top-end GLS trim of the Tucson which is offered with a diesel engine and FWD configuration. This top of the line variant will be replaced by an AWD variant in same specification.
Attachment 1682605
Is the AWD variant also going to come with sunroof and ventilated seats?These features are also long overdue especially when available in the Verna at half the price.
joy_swift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 18:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The only scenario where this will be of use, will be in proper snow or extreme mud (which is rare).
I don't think anyone who buys a Tucson will be off roading, neither the Tucson nor the Santa Fe are true off roaders.

The AWD is still good to have in an SUV (I believe every SUV should have one by default) & helps on a variety of surfaces.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2017 at 00:40. Reason: Tucson, not Tuscon.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 18:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I thought the based on the new guidelines from ARAI, you need to declare the laded GC. That is why Jeep Compass has it listed as 150 something. When the unladed ground clearance is 200 odd.

I hope this is the same case with the Tucson AWD.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 21:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Given Hyundai's varied model portfolio internationally, Its funny how Hyundai actually did not build on the whole Terracan line-up. Had they continued developing on the architecture, it would have been a real competition to the overpriced Fortuner.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 22:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

With a slew of new SUV's being launched, some how I get the feeling that the Tucson has started to look a little long in the tooth; is it just me or does any one else have the same feeling.
Old 5th October 2017, 23:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, a "call of the hour" decision of course. But also a confirmation that the Tucson is here to stay & won't follow the Santa Fe. So - there will still be a ceiling to Creta's pricing for some more time .
Old 5th October 2017, 23:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

I recently had to abandon my travel plans of visiting a remote lake in hilly area halfway, because my progress was extremely labored. Front wheel drive is not suited for roads with steep inclines, small stones, unpaved sections and heavy rains.

So I'm switching my stance from this:

Quote:
Not sure exactly, of what use is a 4wd system in a vehicle. The only scenario where this will be of use, will be in proper snow or extreme mud (which is rare).
to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I firmly believe that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. This will also expand the Tucson's target market to include enthusiasts who tour the corners of India. Hardly any of the crossovers can really 'offroad'. However, an AWD certainly helps on slippery surfaces like wet grass, muck, sand, slush etc.
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 23:36   #11
BHPian

Scoop! Hyundai Tucson AWD to launch soon

Good to see that hyundai didn't give up on Tucson like Santa Fe by finally employing AWD and coming at par with the segment. It would be interesting to see if Tucson is able to eat some part of Compass' share given that the latter still doesn't have auto transmission with 4x4 diesel.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2017 at 00:38. Reason: Tucson, not Tuscon.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
With a slew of new SUV's being launched, some how I get the feeling that the Tucson has started to look a little long in the tooth; is it just me or does any one else have the same feeling.
Frankly, my take is that the Tucson actually looks quite modern and blends the Fluidic style without going overboard. The Creta looks old school next to the Tucson while the Santa Fe has a bloated look about it.

I am a fan of crossovers and SUVs looking somewhat butch rather than the tiny headlights and over-styling prevalent nowadays, such as the Fortuner and new Pajero.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 08:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Hey blackwasp, stop press. It wasn't the Team BHP fan who broke this news on the AWD Tucson, but a BHPian, yours truely.

I put this information up on the Official Tucson page a couple of days ago.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185780

Nevertheless, I am happy that an AWD is around the corner and would get my serious consideration to replace my Punto. The Tucson AWD dispatches may start shortly and should arrive in time for Diwali.

The dealer is expecting a 1 lakh bump up in price with no feature changes.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2017 at 12:36. Reason: Removing funny apostrophe caused by our iOS app
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 08:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It would be interesting to see if Tucson is able to eat some part of Compass' share given that the latter still doesn't have auto transmission with 4x4 diesel.
Even if the Jeep Compass was available with 4x4 Automatic, I think one should still consider the Tucson because the interiors are a leap ahead of the Jeep Compass, in terms of ergonomics and space. The diesel engine is also a generation ahead of the 2.0 MJD.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 08:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Even if the Jeep Compass was available with 4x4 Automatic, I think one should still consider the Tucson because the interiors are a leap ahead of the Jeep Compass, in terms of ergonomics and space. The diesel engine is also a generation ahead of the 2.0 MJD.

Well it all depends what a prospective buyer is looking for. Compass provides engaging drive, better build quality, many passive safety features, FSD and looks aggressive. Tuscon provides better interior space, more features, better NVH and slightly better quality interiors. Compass is positioned towards drivers while Tuscon makes brilliant sense for someone who is going to be chauffeured around.What makes you say that the Tuscon's diesel engine is generation ahead of MJD2? Is it just because of the NVH?

Last edited by Waspune : 6th October 2017 at 08:56.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks