Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 21:08   #61
BHPian

Re: September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Six out of top ten selling cars are from Maruti stable. No surprises but their new Dzire's numbers are just unprecedented! With almost 50% market share, they truly enjoy the lion share as depicted earlier. Verna and Compass doing great too but it might be a little early to pass the judgement just yet.

I sincerely hope that with the advent (and the success so far) of Jeep Compass, more manufacturers would be encouraged to bring in their best products into Indian car market with better quality and safety features.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 21:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
I sincerely hope that with the advent (and the success so far) of Jeep Compass, more manufacturers would be encouraged to bring in their best products into Indian car market with better quality and safety features.
Not to take anything away from Jeep engineering (after all they deserve the credit for creating such a well built and safe vehicle), I believe the most important reason behind unprecedented sales of Compass (despite FCA's thin dealer network and A.S.S. reputation vis-a-vis other high volume players e.g. MSIL, Hyundai, etc.) is not because of quantity and safety only... What FCA's done is to crack open the puzzle of (perceived) price for the kit it offers (of course, localization, superb marketing and Jeep being legendary helps). Otherwise, we have well-built and safe vehicles already in the market - some let down by price, some by the bad rep - or worse, both - I'm looking at you Tiguan and Kodiaq!

If anything, I really hope Compass success awakens manufacturers and makes them realize that "sensibly priced cars will always find a market".

Last edited by actinium15 : 10th October 2017 at 21:48.
actinium15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 22:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

I am frankly astounded (gobsmacked would be more appropriate) at the Dzire numbers. It always was a segment leader, but this

And while everyone is busy analysing the very high sales numbers, a thought crossed my mind. Which car can I go out and buy today, new, for around 10 lakhs or less - which is more exclusive than the 3-series/A4/C-Class? By exclusive, I mean, which has probably sold consistently less numbers than these so-called exclusive, luxury cars.

I shortlisted four.

Fiat Abarth Punto
Fiat Linea (facelift)
Mahindra NuvoSport
Mahindra Verito Vibe - Not sure of the sales numbers of this model, as it has always been clubbed with the regular Verito sedan. I have seen fewer Verito Vibes on the road when compared to 320d/A4/C-Class.

My personal choice would be the Mahindra NuvoSport as, apart from the first 3 months after it was launched, it has consistently sold 250 or less per month.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 10th October 2017 at 22:33.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 22:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Great sales figures from Maruti stable. I am sure, with ongoing festival season, next month's sales figures will be even greater.

I would like to know if the 30k Dzire numbers have included taxi model - 'Tour' as well?

If yes, then is there a break up available?
Old 10th October 2017, 23:32   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, fact is - Queuing up or not - 10k bookings for the 14.5L Compass in a month as against the 10k bookings for the 5.85L Nexon in a month shows the real story. The former has received a good response for the segment, while the latter has got a lukewarm one.

Long term success for both depends on how good the dealership and ownership experiences turn out in the long run.
True. For eg, I ran out of the KHT Prime showroom (Domlur, Bangalore) because of their lax attitude towards me. The attempt to do a test drive was after booking Tata Hexa. The test drive was good, vehicle was good. But they didn't provide me any attention and all nicely dressed SAs (these are new additions - I know how they were in FIAT days since 2012 when I bought my 90HP) were happily serving all those customers with gold chains and suits who were seeing the vehicle only in terms of the seat comfort and beauty of the vehicle - they need the assistance, I agree. No discounts (I'm fine with it - very fast moving vehicle and only dealer in Bangalore), no explanation of OTR price summary, not even a dialogue. It was all like this - "Do a test drive if you feel like and that too by coming down to the showroom. Take the vehicle if you like. We have many customers queuing up with ready to sign cheque leaves". They didn't even make an attempt to make me buy Compass provided they knew I was ready to spend equal amount of money on Hexa.

So I hope the general crowd who are amazed by the looks will continue to buy till the excitement dies down. And then they will be back to the old mode - offer discounts and lure genuine buyers and others.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 11:24   #66
BHPian

Dzire
Baleno
WagonR
Vitara Breeza
Innova Crysta
Kwid
Bolero
i20
Grand i10
City
EcoSport

Figo
BRV
Xcent
KUV100
TUV300
S-Cross
Bolt
Zest
Etios
Etios Liva
Old 11th October 2017, 12:13   #67
BANNED

Here is a filmy version to summarize the sales figures
Attached Thumbnails
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-samba.jpg  

Kishen.padiyar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 12:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
And while everyone is busy analysing the very high sales numbers, a thought crossed my mind. Which car can I go out and buy today, new, for around 10 lakhs or less - which is more exclusive than the 3-series/A4/C-Class? By exclusive, I mean, which has probably sold consistently less numbers than these so-called exclusive, luxury cars...
Interesting.
If one is looking for exclusivity (based on sales numbers) and AND at least one stand-out feature for around 10 Lakhs, the Abarth Punto takes the cake. Probably about 275 cars sold in the 22-23 months since launch at a monthly average of around 12! And this for a car with more bhp/tonne than any other car under 20 lakhs OTR.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 12:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Seems like MSIL can do no wrong! Even Eeco sells more than many many cars out there on the road. And i'm amazed to see the longevity of the Swift. This is one car that desperately calls out for a massive refresh but it still sells upwards of 10k!!

The i20 - feels like its been around for ever too but 10k is testimony to how good this car is perceived to be even at a premium.

Tata needs to pump some money in advertising Tigor - MSIL has proved that there is massive demand out there. We just don't see the kind of ads for Tigor that came out when Tiago was launched. Absolutely no buzz! And Tata really needs to bring the Safari back - they must make this their top most priority project.

Finally i'm making a conjecture here (somebody please crunch the numbers to validate) that the average Joe is still looking for a car with the most value irrespective of the body style. The small SUVs seem to be preferred by people who are conscious of what they drive - guess they will compromise a bit on features and pay a slight premium to get their hands on the specific body style. Premium SUVs seem to be SUPERHIT - anyone who has moolah wants one and these sales seem to be coming at the expense of the D-segment premium sedans. And they make sense too given the crumbling infrastructure in the cities. But anything further of 25+lacs e.g. Tiguan, Kodiaq etc., if it doesn't look like the Endevour or is not a Fortuner or does not have a BMW, Merc kind of badge seems to be ignored.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 11th October 2017 at 12:54.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:13   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti may see a slower growth in the near future, because of the following reasons
Maruti sales will only increase if the economy grows, which I think it will. India is on a roll & (I believe) the next 10 - 20 years belong to us in terms of economic growth. Even with existing models in the short-term, Maruti's brilliant sales & marketing machinery will ensure they grow with the economy (and not lose market-share). This isn't a company that rests on its laurels. Think of developments in the recent past - Nexa, True Value's sheer growth, AMT, SHVS etc. Maruti is an old hand, yet it has the aggressiveness of a newbie.

Good time to buy Maruti stock, despite many considering it expensive.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 14:31   #71
BHPian

I kind of expected the Dzire to be a huge success but what happened here is astonishing numbers for Maruti itself! Actually Maruti should regret that instead of doing a patch work in the earlier versions of Dzire, they should have done as it is now. Look at the evolution of Dzire from V1 to V3! This latest version is a proper compact sedan.

Only consolation for M&M is Bolero beating Innova. Scorpio at 6k I couldn’t fathom this one really. Probably the cult image it has built just like the RE Bullet. It is dangerous for M&M to see the fact that the decades old Bolero and Scorpio are the saviours. M&M should worry that their new age products are not segment toppers be it TUV or KUV or XUV. They should focus on refinement & quality - the need of this generation.

Hyundai has one in top 3 of all the segments up to Creta (mini SUV). Not bad! But still the gap between them and Maruti is a mountain to climb. Maruti sells 3 times of Hyundai exactly.

Toyota pushed down and Tata climbs up. Hexa at 1200 is a healthy number. An honest effort from Tata pays off.

Did someone notice the 80+ Kodiaqs? Tiguan at 120 which is not so good at all for VW. They might have thought of at least adding 1k at least to their tally. Interesting times for Skoda & VW with all the negative press going around.

Endeavour down to 460 (60% down from previous month but still around 600 per month average over all) which is not so good considering the quality it exudes and at the same time Fortuner maintaining 2000+ consistently. King in the jungle! Most probably my next upgrade.

Tucson in two digits. Could see this following its predecessor. Might continue doing two digits only unless otherwise they do a price correction soon of around couple lakhs to bring back the interest (was there one?)

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th October 2017 at 14:32. Reason: spacing
Old 11th October 2017, 15:40   #72
BHPian

I fail to understand why is the WRV doing well? Honda is not a premium brand anymore and the WRV just looks like an ugly lifted Jazz and is pricey for what it is.
Indian market can be quite unpredictable at times.
Doge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 16:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Happy to see Kwid doing good. What happened to Celerio? It just dropped in half.

Also, good to see the Figo twins doing well. Hopefully, next month we'll see a better run rate from Skoda.

Next month for Skoda should be higher provided they get Octavia and Superb supplies in. 1.8 TSI models for Octavia were unavailable, and Superb now gets MY18, they had sold out all MY 17 kits ...
Old 11th October 2017, 18:26   #74
BHPian

There is lot of debate nationally on the state of economy & how India is not going to meet it’s GDP growth estimate & what not & in comes the September Car Sales Figs & it’s 300000. Take that!
Not a political statement though, although it’s heartening to see the upward trend of disposable incomes in the country.

Now for the irony of Car Sales:

Long live the King ! Maruti again meets the magic no of 150000. Majority of their vehicles are >10lac priced ones & 70% of their vehicles ( est) have that famed heart of Fiat, aka the 1.3 MJD. And how much does Fiat with their own engine sell, 200 cars ! And yet Fiat are not unhappy, they would probably be laughing their way to the bank !

It’s very heartening to see the 8000 no mark on the Tiago; it goes to show that perseverance & labour pays ultimately & Tata’s after a long time look sure footed. Nexon’s 2700 no in just seven September days is a terrific sign for them & their effort will prove that quality pays in the long run. Tigor @ 1770 is not as bad as it’s made out to be, from the beginning it was neither here nor there.

Verna justifiably peeped it’s head above everyone else in the C2-type sedans & as Hyundai says they have 15k bookings of Verna , a wonderfully welcome news for them & for the Indian car buyer in general as he/she wants quality & nothing else. Period ! Mind you, City have not dropped their volume. In fact City @ 6010 & Rapid @ 1312 have posted their highest nos in the year. That’s great news for this segment; it’s that discerning consumer!

2151 units of Jeep is very encouraging & a testimony of the fact stated above. Brilliant pricing by Fiat is another story altogether.
8 Mustangs, 1 GTR, 84 Kodiaqs, 2185 Fortuners & the list is long. For every buyer who wants to possess a Maruti come what may, there’s a consumer who’s making a very informed decision, purely based on merit.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 19:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Have a pointer for you...

From the below picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

and from the below one...

from the last month sales thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4264316

SCross is mentioned as SUV for Aug 2017 while Hatchback for Sep 2017. Pls do the necessary correction. Tks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks