Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 10:16   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo, relaunched as Edition X (trademark issues). EDIT: Monte Carlo again!

Big thanks to Ahad Hamza for sharing!

Quote:
The Rapid Monte Carlo edition has been pulled down from the Skoda India website. No info on the car is available, not even the catalogue.
R.I.P.?
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 08:30   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big thanks to Ahad Hamza for sharing!

R.I.P.?
No, it is not discontinued. It has been pulled off because legal trademark battle with "Montecarlo" - the clothing brand. See the attached newspaper article.

Quote:
Skoda Auto India has been restrained by a court from using “Monte Carlo“ name after the Ludhiana-based clothing and apparel company Monte Carlo Fashions alleged infringement of its trademark by the automobile major.

For additional district judge Mukesh Kumar, it was “crystal clear“ that the automobile company , by “launching a variant of its car“ under the clothing company's trademark, had committed infringement.

“The plaintiff has a prima facie case on merit and balance of convenience also lies in its favour. The plaintiff would suffer irreparable loss if injunction is not granted,“ the court observed, while passing a temporary injunction.
Source

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2017 at 11:13. Reason: Removing newspaper scan; adding link to article instead
ferrarirules is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 11:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo, relaunched as Edition X (trademark issues). EDIT: Monte Carlo again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
It has been pulled off because legal trademark battle with "Montecarlo" - the clothing brand.
Thanks for sharing, Ferrarirules!

Moving this development to a new thread because AFAIK, this is the first time a car has been pulled off due to a court order on trademark infringement.

Here's a link to the older thread (The Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. EDIT: Now launched at 10.75 lakhs).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 11:41   #4
BHPian

As far as I remember, there was one more manufacturer, Ford which had to change model name. They had to rename "Everest" to "Endeavour" for India only. Don't remember the reason though.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo, relaunched as Edition X (trademark issues). EDIT: Monte Carlo again!

I can't believe this. Montecarlo really? Then I guess they should even target the Monaco GP It will be back with a name change. Let me take a wild guess, Skoda Rapid Style Plus Black/Zeal Edition. Can't stop laughing. I remember same happened with the Ford Everest that got later changed to Endeavour. Was it because of Mt. Everest showed its disapproval by an avalanche or was it a trademark infringement with Everest Masale?

If memory serves right, there was also a similar case with Fiat Siena. Its name was changed too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, Ferrarirules!

Moving this development to a new thread because AFAIK, this is the first time a car has been pulled off due to a court order on trademark infringement.

Here's a link to the older thread (The Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. EDIT: Now launched at 10.75 lakhs).
If I remember correctly, wasn't this the precise reason why Audi had to pull down the TT brand from Indian as well?

Man, whatever the Govt may claim, it's seriously difficult to do business in India.

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 14th October 2017 at 12:04.
namanchaudhary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
As far as I remember, there was one more manufacturer, Ford which had to change model name. They had to rename "Everest" to "Endeavour" for India only. Don't remember the reason though.
Imagine the loss of revenue to Everest masala if you mistakenly bought Ford's Everest but what your wife actually wanted was Everest Pavbhaji masala.

Similarly what if you mistakenly bought an Audi or a Skoda when you actually wanted to buy some undergarments or banyaan.
Sankar is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

But how can they claim the name Monte Carlo?? It's a district inside Monaco. Indian fashion company cannot say that is their name in the first place.

Poor Skoda. Nothing seems to be going right for them. Even when they really aren't really at fault.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Similarly what if you mistakenly bought an Audi or a Skoda when you actually wanted to buy some undergarments or banyaan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
But how can they claim the name Monte Carlo??
You can't sidestep Indian laws just because you like a name. When I started my company in India, the first 5 names were rejected because it had similarity to other registered companies or trademarks.

Skoda should have done due diligence before deciding on a name.

Monte Carlo is a listed company in India, trading on the NSE. Skoda can't just appropriate the name while doing business in India. These trademark rules apply across industries.

Remember Toshiba, which had to tangle with Tosiba?
Samurai is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

even more famous is the nissan vs nissan fight in the US
http://nissan.com/
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 12:38   #11
BHPian

Noob question.
Aren't Trademarks class restricted? Or one can object between classes too?
Like Red Label is both Tea and Whisky
driveanddrive is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 14:34   #12
BHPian

Poor Skoda. First the black edition fiasco. Now this. Nothing is going its way. Monte Carlo is a registered company but Monte Carlo word is a city in Monaco. That makes it a proper noun (place). How can you trade mark a place ? Well I might be wrong here w.r.t legalities.

But I think these companies should patch up and Skoda should provide gift certificate of Monte Carlo garments worth 5000/10000 when you buy the Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo.

Last edited by rageshgr : 14th October 2017 at 14:36.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 14:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, considering their dealers have been switching parts from normal Rapids and 'creating' Black editions, this is very well deserved!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lar-rapid.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th October 2017 at 14:56. Reason: Typo
Old 14th October 2017, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Noob question.
Aren't Trademarks class restricted? Or one can object between classes too?
Like Red Label is both Tea and Whisky
Ideally i think it should be class restricted here also. In other countries it might class restricted, which is how it should be. Like in the link below the trademark RS is for Class 12 category. If some company in UK comes out with RS undergarments or masala they probably won't have to fight it out with Ford.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-lakhs-rs1.jpg

Red Label is a true mystery
Old 14th October 2017, 16:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
If I remember correctly, wasn't this the precise reason why Audi had to pull down the TT brand from Indian as well?

Audi had some issues with TT garments too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rte-order.html

A hilarious take by BHPian Geo Ipe:

Quote:
A non legal point of view!!

Common_Man goes to buy TT innerwear.
Sees Audi showroom with TT written somewhere in the showroom.
Mistakes it for new TT Garment showroom.
Wonders why swanky Audi cars are parked inside the showroom, then decides it's none of his business!

Common_Man meets the SA:
C_M: Do you have TT underwear?
SA: Sorry sir, but we have some TT T shirts, leather bags and stuff...
C_M: Sure..! Show me...

Common_Man likes the TT Leather bag.
Asks the SA to bill it.
Very happy that TT Garment company has brought out such nice leather bags!
Common_Man sees bill.
Eyes pop out, has mild heart attack!
Curses TT Garments for the atrocious pricing compared to TT underwear.
Storms out of Audi showroom.
Swears never to buy TT underwear in his life.
Wonders again what swanky German cars are doing inside the TT showroom, but is too mad at TT Garments to keep wondering.

That, my friends, is why TT Garments is worried about Audi using the TT name!
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks