Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:26   #511
BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
My views are as follows (My 2 cents)

1. Cost - Zxi AT is more expensive than zxi+ MT (11.5L to 11L on road Chennai)
2. Mileage - Zxi AT mileage is less than Zxi+ MT (1-2 kms in real world figures / Outdated 4 Speed Torque converter)
3. Convenience - Zxi AT wins hands down
4. Features - Zxi+ MT wins hands down. Touch Screen with Android Auto and Navigation, Leather steering with wood insert and reverse camera are all missing on the Zxi AT
5. Most likely I intend to stick with the MT top end unless the AT is very impressive.
Thanks for sharing. Zxi+ does not make financially sound as the features can be fitted after market (Infact HU Unit can be with their own accessory). The price does not justify.

I got a chance to see the vehicle in a dealership. They do not have any test drive vehicles. Here are my views
  1. Looks - full mark compared to existing version.
  2. Interior -Though beige is not my taste, it is good and you cannot find major flaws with respect to ergonomics or features and functions. Being a Swift user, lot of familiarity still though mine is 11.5 years dated like door open levers, power window buttons, sun visor etc.
  3. From Driver seat - I felt the dash is longer compared to my swift, I would have been happier with more surrounding view but not a deal breaker. Nice steering wheel, wooden panels at not so light color ones which looked like in the photos and which came in Ciaz. This looks more like what has come in Indonesia version. There is an accessory to insert in front door which will enhance the looks with this color combination and also useful considering the color of interiors.
  4. Head Unit - Looks better and it is not looking so out of place like the one in Indonesia version
  5. Dials with blue color background looks nice for my eyes
  6. Front seats - comfortable and has good cushion, sufficient under thigh support. Seat height adjustment for driver is good, helps in improving visibility. Hand rest for driver with sliding feature will be useful. Space to keep your mobiles, coins in the center console.
  7. Rear seat - AC fan control unit is a eye sore, age old stuff. Seats are very comfortable, it has good sufficient under thigh support, recline angle, hand rest and more importantly leg space. Rear seat passenger will be in comfort.
  8. 3rd Row - Getting in - not so tough for me 5'6" with lean build. Good seats for 2 similar built individuals in city trips and also for long trips if necessary. Seats have sufficient cushion and under thigh support is equal to a small hatchback rear seat. It's not bad and really usable. Even after pushing the second row to the max position towards the 3rd row and reclining to the maximum, your knees do not touch the 2nd row. Thumps up for the design! Sufficient head room for me with 3rd reclining - last position and it's really comfortable to sit. Do not know how it will be during the ride as it's over the tyres.
  9. Boot space is comparable to small hatch backs. May be comparable to my swift. Better than the outgoing model for sure.
  10. SHVS battery is not in the compartment, it's kept under the body and not accessible like Ciaz inside the car.
  11. Overall it's an great effort from Maruti, thoughtfully designed in making sure 5+2 people are comfortable inside the car.
  12. Bonnet has lot of space and open areas, not cramped at all. Also designed for the pedestrian safety I guess as there is so much of space between the radiator fan and engine.
  13. Now comes the issue. As everyone said multiple times, the sheet metal thickness and it's not even at part with my 2007 swift. It's gone down a lot I guess. Also the finish at the rear top, under the bonnet is a eye sore. I do not understand how a car manufacturer is having such a bad quality of finish. It is like vehicle a met with an accident and some painting/tinkering job done with new panels. Really awful.
The entire good feeling of the vehicle is gone with this overall build sturdiness. May be this kind of sheet metal and fit/finish are the reasons for the unstable structure in Swift crash test. I do not feel the doors, boot doors and fit/finish are as good as the 2007 swift which I have. Very bad show by a market leader and it will be a deal breaker for many people. I do not think people will mind to pay another 1-2 lakhs for a better build because it's really a good one with respect to seating comfort and space/features. I could have made my booking if this was not the case. This made me thinking. Maruti may be enjoying success but with such a decline in quality, I am not sure whether it will continue in the longer run.

Other than Marazzo, there is no serious challenger for this. Since many people will not consider a Mahindra even though it might be a better built. This will make this car to sell well and encourage Maruti to continue to design/produce such "cheap" cars. Maruti used to be a affordable, decent quality and reliable car maker in my perception. They are turning to be cheap, more expensive to maintain car maker I guess. I am not sure how reliable these cars in the longer run. My current swift is 11.5 years old and 2,32,000 Kms and it may not be a rock solid car however I do not have a grudge - It's very reliable, frugal, fuzz free and I can take it whenever where ever without any concern. I do not have any major issue in the car or major maintenance expense in the pipeline. Age old MJD Engine is still runs like a new one and I am not planning to sell off. I am not confident of the same with this new Maruti. Do not know what are the other cost cutting they could have done or compromised on quality to make more profit?

I am planning to test drive Marazzo tomorrow which was not in my list because of my friend's XUV experience
blorebuddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:55   #512
BHPian

Is it really that bad when compared to the previous gen Ertiga ? The Curb weight doesn't seem to have changed much .
Old 23rd November 2018, 18:04   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
the sheet metal thickness and it's not even at part with my 2007 swift. It's gone down a lot I guess. Also the finish at the rear top, under the bonnet is a eye sore. I do not understand how a car manufacturer is having such a bad quality of finish. It is like vehicle a met with an accident and some painting/tinkering job done with new panels. Really awful.
The entire good feeling of the vehicle is gone with this overall build sturdiness. May be this kind of sheet metal and fit/finish are the reasons for the unstable structure in Swift crash test. I do not feel the doors, boot doors and fit/finish are as good as the 2007 swift which I have. Very bad show by a market leader and it will be a deal breaker for many people.
This is Sad News ... which most of us Prospective Buyers were hoping against Hope, NOT to hear

The Finish under the Hood might improve in the subsequent Production Line as MS receives Brickbats on Forums and Honest Reviews. Let's give MS the benefit of doubt , they hurriedly provided Half-baked Demo cars to meet the deadline.
But this Tin Can issue , will be Leave it OR Take it - AND LIVE WITH IT

Honestly/Sadly Marazzo and Mahindra Products post XUV Airbag nightmares aren't the Best Goto Options.
In fact there aren't any worthy VFM Competitors in the Ertiga Price Range.

Wish Toyota could introduce the AVANZA !
Capture both the Mid-range and High-end MPV Market !

Hello TOYOTA
Are you listening??

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181123185353_chrome.jpg

Last edited by JS Kwt : 23rd November 2018 at 18:25.
Old 23rd November 2018, 18:32   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

A new perspective to space in the Ertiga

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-dsrtajexoaaowce.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:07   #515
BHPian

Quote:
The entire good feeling of the vehicle is gone with this overall build sturdiness. May be this kind of sheet metal and fit/finish are the reasons for the unstable structure in Swift crash test. I do not feel the doors, boot doors and fit/finish are as good as the 2007 swift which I have. Very bad show by a market leader and it will be a deal breaker for many people. I do not think people will mind to pay another 1-2 lakhs for a better build ...
There goes this MPV from my list.

You have picked words from my mind being a former swift 2010 owner myself. That car maintenance was not what you can call cheap w.r.t existing competition, but felt a bit sturdier. Saw the next version swift spare parts price, and i was happy about mine again They are no way cheap.

The new marutis have almost a light & artificial feel like a cardboard, no offense to anyone. This i was just comparing to my swift, before my experiences with Punto or Ecosport. Transparency among service centers was not at all a differentiating factor as well for me.

The only distinguishing factor now is 25.XX Kmpl with no proper competition & will sell...

Good luck with the *CAP ratings Maruti.....!!!
Adi22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:42   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Is it really that bad when compared to the previous gen Ertiga ? The Curb weight doesn't seem to have changed much .
Have you checked the vehicle in person? You might be able to relate to your previous generation Ertiga. Kerb weight is not changed due to the added dimension and SHVS. Some one mentioned earlier in this forum. SHVS battery adds more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Honestly/Sadly Marazzo and Mahindra Products post XUV Airbag nightmares aren't the Best Goto Options.
In fact there aren't any worthy VFM Competitors in the Ertiga Price Range.

Wish Toyota could introduce the AVANZA !
Capture both the Mid-range and High-end MPV Market !
That’s the sad part, leaving buyers with no other choice. Leaving that you have only BRV. I have got an opportunity to go on a ride on Avanza however it was not impressive. May be it is a Daihastu and not Toyota

Last edited by blorebuddy : 23rd November 2018 at 19:43.
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:47   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked the vehicle in person? You might be able to relate to your previous generation Ertiga.
I did on the same day I saw. At least the fender and the co passenger door. It felt same as mine. So I got curious and checked the website and noticed the weight for ZDi+ was 1245 Kilos for the next generation Ertiga and was 1235 Kilos for the outgoing model and both SHVS.

The extra length is hardly 100mm with a larger 3rd row quarter panel glass. So an addition of 10 kilos made me think if there has been a major compromise or not.

Having said that, I had earlier compared the sheet metal of my 1st Gen WagonR with the Blue eyed boy and could easily make out the difference.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:25   #518
BHPian

Current gen Ertiga scored 4 stars in safety. I wonder how this Heartech based Ertiga will fare, given the other Heartech based cars like Swift (even Dzire?) scored only 2 stars. Hope Maruti retains the safety rating in the new version as well.[/quote]

I had the opportunity to check out the new Ertiga at PASCO Gurgaon. This new platform heartect will be a heartache to the customers😊. Be ready for more dings and dents. The new Ertiga seemed quite lightweight when I checked its doors and boot. The Maruti boffins have made the sheet metal thinner, I can't comment on the chassis , however my previous old gen Ertiga definitely feels sturdier than this new iteration.

Why on earth can't Maruti go on a progressive trail? Hyundai's build quality has become better , Toyota has taken a new leap, guess 'Kitna deti hai' philosophy will continue to play on Indian minds.
Time to bid adieu to Maruti.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:39   #519
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
I had the opportunity to check out the new Ertiga at PASCO Gurgaon. This new platform heartect will be a heartache to the customers��. Be ready for more dings and dents. The new Ertiga seemed quite lightweight when I checked its doors and boot. The Maruti boffins have made the sheet metal thinner, I can't comment on the chassis , however my previous old gen Ertiga definitely feels sturdier than this new iteration.

Why on earth can't Maruti go on a progressive trail? Hyundai's build quality has become better , Toyota has taken a new leap, guess 'Kitna deti hai' philosophy will continue to play on Indian minds.
Time to bid adieu to Maruti.
Platform has nothing to do with sheet metal thickness. The same platform UK Swift would be having better sheet metal than the Indian one. A Toyota and a Lexus can have the same platform cars which look completely different in quality and sheet metal thickness. But you are correct regarding the dings and dents, they are guaranteed in a thin sheet metal car. I own such a living example (4th generation Honda City). Even after caring the car so much, every other day a new ding smiles at me and I don't even know what has caused such a ding.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:00   #520
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to see the new Ertiga VDi in flesh in a showroom this evening. Loved the car. Posting a few pics for fellow BHP-ians. Specially loved the Touch Operated Music System for the lower variants, sounded good.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-2nd-row-max-min-leg-room.jpg
2nd Row Max And Min Leg Room

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-3rd-row-entrance-right-side.jpg
3rd Row Entrance Right Side

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-3rd-row-left-armrest-sans-accessory-socket.jpg
3rd Row Armrest

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-3rd-row-max-min-backrest-inclination-angles.jpg
3rd Row Max And Min Backrest Inclination

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-boot-boot-boards-upright.jpg
Boot with Boot Boards Upright

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-front-dashboard-grey-partition-unlike-faux-wood-top-trim.jpg
Dashboard Partition Grey Plastic

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-max-boot-space-seats-upright.jpg
Max Boot Space with Seats Upright

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-mid.jpg
MID VDi

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-music-system.jpg
V variants Music System

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-passenger-sunvisor.jpg
Passenger Sunvisor

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-pull-type-boot-opener-no-electrostatic-lock-button.jpg
Pull Type Boot Opener

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-rear-accessory-socket-console.jpg
Rear Accessory Socket Console V Variants

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-right-door-pocket.jpg
Right Rear Door Pocket

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-ertiga-vdi-right-middle-seat-max-leg-room.jpg
2nd Row Max Leg Room
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:22   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked the vehicle in person? You might be able to relate to your previous generation Ertiga. Kerb weight is not changed due to the added dimension and SHVS. Some one mentioned earlier in this forum. SHVS battery adds more weight.
I will be taking a test drive by the end of next week. I will definitely be able to tell if it's the same built as the older ertiga. My mind is moving towards the top end manual for the added features but the automatic comes with hill hold and esp . Back to the confusion . Any suggestions ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2018 at 10:43. Reason: Broken quote fixed.
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:51   #522
Senior - BHPian

A comparative article between the Marazzo and Ertiga. Do read...

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...-buy-22794.htm
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:14   #523
BANNED

Why do Suzuki vehicles sold in India come with dated auto transmission? Ertiga AT has 4 gears, while MT has 5. Even TATA Nexon comes with same number of gears in AT & MT. Have I missed something?
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:26   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why do Suzuki vehicles sold in India come with dated auto transmission? Ertiga AT has 4 gears, while MT has 5. Even TATA Nexon comes with same number of gears in AT & MT. Have I missed something?
The transmission in Nexon is AMT, which is an automated version of the manual gearbox. The only MT and AMT difference I have seen till now is in Tata Nano which had 4MT and 5AMT.

Agree with you on the first part, I seriously wished MSIL had brought in at least AMT versions for both Petrol and Diesel versions. This same engine is already paired to an AMT in the Brezza. At least a 5 speed AMT was expected in the Petrol version to keep costs in check and provide the convenience required in metro cities.
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:44   #525
BHPian

Platform has nothing to do with sheet metal thickness. The same platform UK Swift would be having better sheet metal than the Indian one.

I am not implying that platform has something to do with panel thickness. I was merely refering to the continuous trend of flimsy cars made on the 'heartect' platform. One cannot comment on the platform but the way the baleno crumbles in some accidents does make one take all these claims of stiffer , yet lighter chassis with a pinch of salt. Plus MUL has used lighter materials for its cars since the advent of CIAZ. The first gen cars were decently built, however I have been very disappointed with their new gen avatars. My experience with the new Ertiga is that no way I would have bought this car if this had been the quality in 2014.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks