Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 16:02   #586
BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
May be upgrade is not the right word here
However i met couple of others who also happened to own Ertiga and were exploring if it is worth exchanging with new Ertiga. Which is why i felt there will be more like me with 5+ year old ertiga waiting to buy new car
My heart says upgrade, while the mind factors the cost angle and we must say Maruti has played the price card well.
You are right. My point of view is as follows.
Urban families with 4 members who have extended families or friends once in a while for roadtrips and general touring will love the ertiga. Back in 2013 i went with the first gen ertiga without knowing if it will really be required. 5 years later i was very happy with what i had invested in. so many trips with friends and family , trouble free nature and reasonable space. The only downside was the lack of a proper boot . Now with the new gen , i feel this is the right vehicle to replace the old ertiga. Boot is bigger, more features and comfort. Once you get used to the space on this vehicle, the idea of buying a sedan fades away.

I sold my first gen this year for a sweet deal ( Maruti resale at its best . It had 55000 kms on it) but i miss it every single day. Even a dinner out with friends requires us to take two vehicles .So for me, ertiga is a winner. Easy to drive , compact enough for the city and the 3rd row is a blessing.

Last edited by keshav1426 : 27th November 2018 at 16:04.
keshav1426 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 16:39   #587
Senior - BHPian

I just came back after a short 2 km test drive of the new 1.5 zxi+ for a friend looking at a 7 seater.

Here are my initial impressions :

We were 3 folks in the car apart from the Sales guy.
I am 5'8" and my friends are 5'7" and 5'10" for reference.

Maruti has really done well on the looks, it looks muscular from the front and quite premium from the rear too.

The front seats are supportive and quite comfortable. The twin cup holders in the front have vents to cool the drinks that you might want to put there. The front doors do have space for bottle holders and I think a 1 L bottle might fit there, couldnt try that so cant be sure.
I didnt use the steering controls or the entertainment system but the big screen looks quite nice and seemed like an iPad. Not sure how it would be at night though or whether it will hamper the driving experience. The sliding driver arm rest could have been longer.

The middle row can be pushed back and is reclinable, with adequate thigh support.It also has Iso fix, so child seat friendly. The AC vent in the center means only a short adult or kids can fit there comfortably.

With my friend sitting in the middle row and the seat slightly reclined and pushed (not all the way back), I was able to sit comfortably in the third row. The last row reclines as well, which makes it easier for folks sitting there. The ingress into the last row isnt a cake walk and I would stick to having kids sitting in the last row.However, adults under 5'8" should be able to manage a couple of hours sitting there at a stretch. Thigh support is also sufficient. The last seat also has a 12V charger port.No AC vent in the last row, the middle one gets a roof mounted one with 4 vents.

The Smart hybrid engine is quite silent and with 4 people I was able to easily go over speed breakers in the second gear. The ORVMs are great and give you good visibility. The IRVM is a little small though but not a deal breaker.

The fit and finish seemed quite good, though I am not a fan of the wood finish on the dash as well as on the steering.
The suspension soaks bumps well and though we went on bumpy roads, it was quite comfortable in the back seat.

I am quite impressed with Maruti's efforts here, the pricing is brilliant too.
sammyboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 17:51   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I just came back after a short 2 km test drive of the new 1.5 zxi+ for a friend looking at a 7 seater

I am quite impressed with Maruti's efforts here, the pricing is brilliant too.

Could you elaborate on the built quality when compared to the old gen and perhaps other maruti cars. There is a notion from some people that it might be very light . Thanks in advance
Old 27th November 2018, 17:55   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Could you elaborate on the built quality when compared to the old gen and perhaps other maruti cars. There is a notion from some people that it might be very light . Thanks in advance
I really cant say much about that Keshav, as I didnt really spend too much time with it. However, the doors did not seem as light as I thought they would, and it did feel better that what I remember of the desires and the new Altos. I havent got any experience with the new breed of Marutis, the Ciaz or the Brezza or the S Cross for that matter.
Disclaimer : I drive a Fiat so ..
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:08   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Urban families with 4 members who have extended families or friends once in a while for roadtrips and general touring will love the ertiga.
Once you get used to the space on this vehicle, the idea of buying a sedan fades away.
So for me, ertiga is a winner. Easy to drive , compact enough for the city and the 3rd row is a blessing.

This is the case with majority of Indian families.
Also what we hear is that BS6 diesels will get way more expensive, So now might be a good time to buy a Diesel Ertiga.
The Biggest USP of Old Ertiga was its compact dimensions of 4295mm which is easy to manoeuvre. Although the New Ertiga has increased the dimensions to 4395mm, i think it is still at the threshold of 'Compact territory'. MS has aptly managed to keep the New Ertiga compact.
It is 100mm lesser than the 4500mm mark which would take it in the territory of Large MPVs, that are difficult to park or manoeuvre in those congested streets and crazy traffic we have all over India.

The steep increase in both Fuel prices will compel many small sedan owners to upgrade to a small , comfortable and manageable MPV like Ertiga. It saves the need for 2 cars on those weekend get togethers or long family excursions. The 3rd row definitely gives a lot of Flexibility.
There is no Other VFM Option.

New Ertiga caters to a segment that is growing every "Hour". It will be another Huge Success, No Doubts.

Just miss those Cool Tail Light Guides
Already looking for a way to get those from Indonesia or Aliexpress (not available yet).

Last edited by JS Kwt : 27th November 2018 at 18:10.
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:12   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Also what we hear is that BS6 diesels will get way more expensive, So now might be a good time to buy a Diesel Ertiga.

Just miss those Cool Tail Light Guides
Already looking for a way to get those from Indonesia or Aliexpress (not available yet).
If you do manage to get those tail light guides,let me know. I would definitely be interested
keshav1426 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:23   #592
BHPian

Quote:
If you do manage to get those tail light guides,let me know. I would definitely be interested
Sure, it would be a pleasure. Do pm me your contact details so that i will let you know if and when i am able to procure it.
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:32   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

At 1.62L kms on my current Ertiga, I have no qualms and if an upgrade happens, it will certainly be not at the same level for sure.
How is your ertiga performing ? I am having a four year old diesel ertiga which is nearing 94000 km now. I wanted to know the durability of DDiS diesel engine since I am thinking of not selling my current ertiga for another 50-60 thousands kilometers.

Regarding the new ertiga, I went to the showroom as soon as the new ertiga was unveiled on last wednesday. I need a diesel automatic and hence had high hopes of a diesel automatic ertiga especially after seeing the diesel AMT version of Vitara Brezza. I was extremely disappointed to know that there is no automatic version of new ertiga in diesel variant. The new ertiga (although good) didnt make much sense to me only because of this missing feature.

I am now planning to keep my existing one for another two to three years but I am worried about the long term durability of the diesel engine. I have no idea till what km those swift/dezire taxis keep running in good condition. I know, suzuki/fiat is no toyota and hence the engine durability is a big concern.
Old 27th November 2018, 20:59   #594
BANNED

Quote:
Sure, it would be a pleasure. Do pm me your contact details so that i will let you know if and when i am able to procure it.
Ya. Count me in too I almost booked this weekend and then I saw the posts about the missing tail light. If I know that you can indeed get them, then I will move forward with the booking. Otherwise, I will wait it out for a while. It may be a small item; but its the small stuff that make a big difference.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 09:37   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Ya. Count me in too
Was wondering if there was a possibility to modify these lights and Add the Light Guides. The Tail light housing in the Indonesian Spec looks exactly the same. Just need to add the LED Strip and Wiring harness.
Any DIY or Retrofit modifications possible ? It would be easier and cost effective too.
Quote:
Otherwise, I will wait it out for a while.
If possible, it is always advisable to Resist the Temptation and wait out any new Launch. Then buy the car after the initial niggles are ironed out. Also the After market Accessories are usually available by then.
Quote:
its the small stuff that make a big difference.
Big Difference indeed. These LIGHT GUIDES will completely change the Rear Profile. Make the car look like a segment or two above.

Firstly i hope MS hears our Voice and makes it available here. Maybe the aspiring buyers could send them feedback through mail requests or Twitter etc, Don't know if MS pays attention to such feedbacks ?

Secondly i anticipate the Car accessories market will try to capitalize on this as it will surely sell. Just a matter of time. So it's Better for us if Maruti capitalize on it.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 28th November 2018 at 09:46.
Old 28th November 2018, 10:41   #596
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
I am now planning to keep my existing one for another two to three years but I am worried about the long term durability of the diesel engine.
Hi, I am using 2007 first generation swift,just crossed 170K KM,till now no issues with Engine.Still we can use another 70 to 100K, if we maintain properly.
balechaparka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 11:52   #597
BHPian

Quote:

Why is it a good time to buy the Diesel Ertiga now? Since the MJD will be phased out, the resale value of the Diesel Ertiga that you buy now will go down drastically and you may not find takers for it later.

A petrol Ertiga makes more sense now, or better to wait till Maruti comes out with BS VI compliant diesel engine.

This is just my thought.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 12:17   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
How is your ertiga performing ? I am having a four year old diesel ertiga which is nearing 94000 km now. I wanted to know the durability of DDiS diesel engine since I am thinking of not selling my current ertiga for another 50-60 thousands kilometers.
If engine is your concern, have no 2 thoughts about the MJD. There are more than enough cases right here on the forum where the FIAT's MJD engines have lasted really well be that in a FIAT or a Maruti Suzuki or any other car.

Regarding my own Ertiga that is now closer to 162000 Kms in 5 years, I recently got a change to drive a bhpian's Ertiga that was at my place for the weekend for over 90 kms on a weekend. This one had done just 18,000 clicks on the Odo and It was a good experience driving this so I got perspectives comparing it with my car that has clocked 8 times more mileage than this one.

Right from the Engine Idle all the way to cruising speeds of 120KMPH, I felt at home in terms of engine noise & acceleration. I ruled out the possibility of clogged injectors in mine (which I thought I had) after I drove and listened to the engine notes during various instances. The only difference was the prominence of the Turbo kick which was more evident in my car and less in the other Ertiga (I felt the same in Ciaz too). I learnt later that this is how most SHVS equipped cars from MS stable behave now.

I am also happy that at 1.62L kms, the suspension is still stock and didn't find any difference in terms of bounciness or ride quality.

In a nutshell - If you think you have concerns regarding the durability of the MJD, please get that out of your thoughts. Heck, I have my WagonR that is nearing 2.5L mark in few months now and the Engine, Gearbox and Bodyshell are stock!!
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 12:38   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Why is it a good time to buy the Diesel Ertiga now? Since the MJD will be phased out, the resale value of the Diesel Ertiga that you buy now will go down drastically and you may not find takers for it later.

A petrol Ertiga makes more sense now, or better to wait till Maruti comes out with BS VI compliant diesel engine.

This is just my thought.
I agree with your point that discontinued models will see a drop in their resale value as service and spares become problematic.

That said, in this context, it's the national diesel engine we're talking about and Maruti has several lakh cars on the road with this engine that they need to service. I feel like servicing and spares wouldn't be an issue.

On the contrary, because buying a new diesel Ertiga will become more expensive, these owners might actually see an uptick in the resale price after the BS6 engine is launched.
shimoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 13:11   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Why is it a good time to buy the Diesel Ertiga now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
it's the national diesel engine we're talking about,
I feel like servicing and spares wouldn't be an issue.

On the contrary, because buying a new diesel Ertiga will become more expensive,
these owners might actually see an uptick in the resale price after the BS6 engine is launched.
you have echoed my thoughts precisely
people actually might lookout for such cars.

Just like in the Near future, people might as well look for Older Cars without the annoying Speed Beeping !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The only difference was the prominence of the Turbo kick which was more evident in my car and less in the other Ertiga (I felt the same in Ciaz too).
I learnt later that this is how most SHVS equipped cars from MS stable behave now.
Just one of the reasons Old cars might be more sought after, due to better pickup and driveability

Quote:
I am also happy that at 1.62L kms, the suspension is still stock and didn't find any difference in terms of bounciness or ride quality.
my WagonR that is nearing 2.5L mark in few months now and the Engine, Gearbox and Bodyshell are stock!!
These testimonies might just make one think

Quote:
A petrol Ertiga makes more sense now
Yes, Petrol makes sense for those with lower running. Also for those who don't mind the higher fuel cost.
The thought of Higher running cost every time you hit the road, is big Put off for most people.
Even after knowing all those Petrol vs Diesel calculations, Somehow, it just feels harder to take the car out, pinches every time. That pinch makes most people Opt for diesel.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 28th November 2018 at 13:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks