Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 20:46   #616
BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs

Digitally Customised New Maruti Suzuki Ertiga:

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211316_chrome.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211122_chrome.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211226_chrome.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211248_chrome.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211056_chrome.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-screenshot_20181130211143_chrome.jpg
Old 30th November 2018, 21:25   #617
BHPian

The Ertiga was positioned as a sedan alternative back in 2012 during the time of its launch. It still remains the same and I think comparison with the Marazzo or the Innova is unnecessary . We all are guilty of getting bracketed in segments , I feel that the Ertiga is an alternative for those people who want a spacious five seater with decent luggage space. The ability to hold 550 litres cargo with the third row down is a clincher here. Sedans in this price range haven't a chance of beating that.

Of course an occasional trip of seven people is another factor which influences buying decision. I feel at 10 lakh plus price range,segments get merged and people decide on an option given various factors like an extended family, to simply going for a large car with space to boast. Throw in added goodies like higher ground clearance,better seating position and the before mentioned big car feel which the compact SUV section finds hard to match.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 15:26   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

TD the Petrol ZXI+ Ertiga yesterday and came out all impressed. Maruti has really done a lot of good things to this car. On the outside it looks fresher and more modern rather than the dull looking outgoing model. The interiors looked very well laid out too and for a change I rather liked the fake wood finish. Features like a sliding front arm rest and cooled storage space are small things but are extremely useful in everyday usage. The digital display looks quite cool and modern. On the driving front, it didn't disappoint either, ofcourse I didn't have too many expectations out of it. But the motor is punchy and responsive, the clutch is very very light and overall the car is quite nimble to drive. The biggest improvement is that even with all 3 row of seats up, there is enough room it the boot for a couple of bags.

At this price point, I feel it is one of the most practical buy for someone looking for a "jack of all trades" kind of a car.
drmohitg is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:38   #619
BHPian

I booked for the 2018 Ertiga today.

The test drive vehicle was not yet registered, as per the staff and hence I couldn't get to actually drive one. Right now I have booked for the ZXI AT Red variant. The sales team themselves were referring to it's features which were handwritten, indicating that they have got hands on it recently.

Please share any suggestions and points of caution to be considered, while I read through 600+ posts in this forum

Sorry for the back to back posts. I tried editing but by the time I finished drafting, I exceeded the 30min threshold.

The overall package is pretty compelling with the price tag. However, I felt there are a few bummers and misses which could have easily taken care of.
The standard wheels are 15 inch alloys for the top variant, which really is a bummer. I am apprehensive about changing it to 16, which I feel should have been the bare minimum. How will it tackle Indian road conditions, that too with 160 mm ground clearance (surprisingly not stated in the brochure, unless I have missed), is something of a big doubt.

Absence of DRL, which is provided even in mopeds also left me scratching my head. It might not help too much functionality wise, but well, it is a glaring miss.

Welded joints are glaringly and badly finished, as posted by others here.

Even the top end ZXI+ comes with fabric seats whereas other cars come with all bells and whistles. I felt this doesn't qualify for the premium categorization. The price difference between VXI and this is less and justifies some absences. The Honda BRV in comparison had lot more features in it's special customised top end variant.

Touchscreen navigation/media unit is included to only the + variants. The AMT is positioned at one level lower, ZXI

As a consolation of unavailability of TD, I tried a Brezza AMT. I am not at all impressed with the transmission. You push throttle a little hard and it goes into a high rev condition. I am anxious about this aspect as well, wrt Ertiga.

I was made to understand that FastTag registration is mandatory and there is a charge included for it. I also read about how dealers take advantage of pushing insurance package. The sales team we're trying to convince that it is better to go with it since it includes 3 years' 3rd party and bumper to bumper coverage.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd December 2018 at 07:19. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
rich_heart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 06:15   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post

Touchscreen navigation/media unit is included to only the + variants. The AMT is positioned at one level lower, ZXI
Congratulations on your booking

New ERTIGA is a proper AT not an AMT like the Brezza.
Though Outdated , but it's a proper Automatic. It's an old school 4 speed Torque Converter.

Quote:
As a consolation of unavailability of TD, I tried a Brezza AMT. I am not at all impressed with the transmission. You push throttle a little hard and it goes into a high rev condition. I am anxious about this aspect as well, wrt Ertiga.
Brezza AMT is extremely Jerky as mentioned in GTO's post too, so it should not be considered a yardstick to gauge the performance of New Ertiga's AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoever is buying it, please take a detailed test-drive before plonking that deposit cheque. I found the latest tune of the MJD + AMT to be extremely jerky in the Swift, a LOT more so than the petrol (due to the diesel's turbo-charger and less linear power delivery). It is a flawed combination.
New Ertiga's Automatic unit will be quite Smooth for normal driving style. Boring, but efficient.
You will find it mentioned in some of the Test drive Reviews (posted in this thread earlier) that it's much better than the AMT.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 2nd December 2018 at 06:32.
JS Kwt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 07:59   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The standard wheels are 15 inch alloys for the top variant, which really is a bummer. I am apprehensive about changing it to 16
I think it'll be fine. 15 inchers will be better for a MPV though. The ARAI specifications for testing GC have changed, I don't think it should be a problem.
Quote:
Absence of DRL, …. glaring miss.
I think this is done to differentiate it from the Ciaz and Baleno. They are going to have better features.
Quote:
Welded joints are glaringly and badly finished, as posted by others here.
I guess manufacturing of India specific cars is done using sub-standard quality control
Quote:
Even the top end ZXI+ comes with fabric seats whereas other cars come with all bells and whistles. I felt this doesn't qualify for the premium categorization.
Refer my above bit on comparing it with the Ciaz and Baleno.
Quote:
The AMT is positioned at one level lower, ZXI …..I am anxious about this aspect as well, wrt Ertiga.
Don't worry, Brezza is an AMT, the Ertiga is a conventional TQ AT. It should be way smoother, refer the Ciaz AT review.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:20   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Don't worry, Brezza is an AMT, the Ertiga is a conventional TQ AT. It should be way smoother, refer the Ciaz AT review.
But the new Ertiga's AT is the ancient, lethargic, obsolete 4 speed torque converter. It is just not suitable for MPV duty especially when loaded up. This previous century 4 speed AT design belongs to the dustbin of history. Suzuki is being really shortsighted by not providing an upgraded 6 or 7 speed automatic in Ertiga and Ciaz.

Alternatively, Suzuki could combine AMT with a very small torque converter to smoothen the shift, like Honda did with the CVT. It also saves clutch life as the slip is provided by the TC and not physical sliping of the clutch. It does not waste fuel as the TC input is locked to the output when not changing gears. This is an inexpesive solution and can help Suzuki raid the market with a smooth Automatic across the range of vehicles.

Or, as I have suggested earlier as well, Suzuki should invest in a low cost 6 speed automatic that it can use across models.
guptad42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:46   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
But the new Ertiga's AT is the ancient, lethargic, obsolete 4 speed torque converter. It is just not suitable for MPV duty especially when loaded up. This previous century 4 speed AT design belongs to the dustbin of history. Suzuki is being really shortsighted by not providing an upgraded 6 or 7 speed automatic in Ertiga and Ciaz.
I think lets wait to see how the gearbox works in the real world. On paper, at first I was excited to see that they have not opted for AMT in this car but then the excitement vanished on reading that it is a 4 speed AT box. But ACI review was all praises for the gear box so I am going to wait out and TD the AT car once available and then decide. My Hyundai i 10 used to have this 4 speed TC unit and although lethargic, it used to shift smoothly which is what I would want in an MPV.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:07   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

New Maruti Suzuki Ertiga gets dealer-level CNG kit

Quote:
The MPV can be equipped with a sequential CNG kit as an accessory; factory-fitted CNG variants still some time away.
Quote:
The kit has a capacity of 14kg, same as the last-gen CNG Ertiga, and is offered with a one-year warranty from the dealer as well. The CNG kit is priced at Rs 65,000, including charges for RTO and insurance.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:34   #625
Senior - BHPian

I went to a couple of showrooms yesterday, none of them could offer the car for test drive as they are yet to be registered. Moreover, they only had the Zxi+ variant on display but I wanted to check specifically the VXi variant.

On-road Pune Vxi is 9,65 Lakhs and ZXi is 10.61, ZXi+ 11.20
Compared to Zxi, Vxi misses out on the following
- Alloy wheels,
- Rear Wash wipe,
- Automatic Climate control
- Faux Wooden trim
- Some chrome here and there
- Central Armrest (which is useless as it rests only your elbow, your forearm will dangle and will not rest anywhere unless kept on gear level)

Both Zxi and Vxi dont get:
- Touch screen system with Android and Apple Car play and voice command.
- Rear view camera.

Apart from rear wipers, all other features in Zxi are cosmetic and 'feel good' compared to Vxi, so I am wondering if putting one lakh rupees more makes any sense for someone tight on budget. I am currently evaluating Vxi and Zxi with family and friends, although I am all for Vxi. Waiting for Vxi/Vdi variant to arrive and have a 'feel' of it. I am not interested in driving the car this time around as our requirement is strictly a 7 seater and there is no other car in under 10 Lakh category which qualifies.

Waiting period is 45 days as per the sales persons (both Sehgal and Sumankirti) saying the same.

Talking about the car, I was thoroughly impressed with the space, at 5 feet 8 inches (and the tallest in our family ) I could spend a lot of time in the third row moving my legs a little and spreading my arms. This might just be the car that I need. My dad was so excited he said lets book it right now ! (he is a bit impulsive when he likes certain things). The car 'feels' roomy and pleasant because of the bright color. The seats are comfortable and offer good under thigh support in all rows (again, do remember my height: 5'8'')

There are certain loose ends as people mentioned, but they are mostly on the outside, hidden away, like the welds near the hatch lid, inside the engine bay and the way the wiring and piping is done is a bit crude, also some panel gaps are inconsistent and the hatch had to be banged with little force to close completely. The petrol engine's bay is having a lot of unused space. The plastics are a bit hard and scratchy, typical of what you should expect from Maruti stable, but the small, flat bottom leather wrapped steering wheel is an eye candy (only on + variants).

The car does have a presence now and I do feel the Zx/di+ variant might steal some buyers from Innova/Hexa who had no option but to extend their budget. Honda BR-V will take a further beating and Marazzo ? oh, well... I didn't even bother to stop, it was about 2 kms away from Maruti Suzuki Arena on the same service road. The huge price difference is a big turn-off coupled with Mahindra's brand image (apologies for digressing)

I am planning on selling my old car then booking this one, which is the worst part as Maruti True value is quoting ridiculous numbers compared even to Cars24.

Off-topic: Note of advice for Pune folks: Sumankirti dealer near Hinjewadi flyover has a true value outlet too, but I had a very very bad experience with the evaluator. First, he was way too dismissive about my questions and was rude in that conversation, second the discussion sounded like he was interrogating as if he was the only evaluation expert alive on earth, I literally indicated him to leave the table after I had enough of him. (In the end, I had to say that I find his quotes laughable considering I have done some research myself too, hearing that, he left the table without exchanging pleasantries ) The sales person too was a fresher and not exactly acquainted with many details. I am getting closer to finding the answer as to why Nexa dealership had to be created !
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:46   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

On-road Pune Vxi is 9,65 Lakhs and ZXi is 10.61, ZXi+ 11.20
Compared to Zxi, Vxi misses out on the following
- Alloy wheels,
- Rear Wash wipe,
- Automatic Climate control
- Faux Wooden trim
- Some chrome here and there
- Central Armrest (which is useless as it rests only your elbow, your forearm will dangle and will not rest anywhere unless kept on gear level)

The Vxi also does not get the rear defogger. Depending on your requirement, this may be something to consider as well especially since it cannot be retrofitted.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:07   #627
BHPian

Quote:

The car does have a presence now and I do feel the Zx/di+ variant might steal some buyers from Innova/Hexa who had no option but to extend their budget. Honda BR-V will take a further beating and Marazzo ? oh, well... I didn't even bother to stop, it was about 2 kms away from Maruti Suzuki Arena on the same service road. The huge price difference is a big turn-off coupled with Mahindra's brand image (apologies for digressing)
The closest competitor to the Ertiga would be the BR-V, which, despite having better engines (and a better second seat flip mechanism ), is a flop because it is seriously overpriced. The new Ertiga might push the BR-V numbers further down. Marazzo, on the other hand, offers much more space than both the BR-V and the Ertiga, and has a better build than both as well.

For someone looking for a value for money petrol 7-seater, nothing beats the new Ertiga.
nikipedia87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:24   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to a couple of showrooms yesterday, none of them could offer the car for test drive as they are yet to be registered. Moreover, they only had the Zxi+ variant on display but I wanted to check specifically the VXi variant.

Apart from rear wipers, all other features in Zxi are cosmetic and 'feel good' compared to Vxi, so I am wondering if putting one lakh rupees more makes any sense for someone tight on budget. I am currently evaluating Vxi and Zxi with family and friends, although I am all for Vxi. Waiting for Vxi/Vdi variant to arrive and have a 'feel' of it. I am not interested in driving the car this time around as our requirement is strictly a 7 seater and there is no other car in under 10 Lakh category which qualifies.
If you drive often on highways, you should go for ZXI just for the rear wipers. On a MPV/Hatchback/SUV this feature is important. In city you won't miss much but come highway during rainy season and you will be reminded of this missing feature everytime.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:43   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The Vxi also does not get the rear defogger. Depending on your requirement, this may be something to consider as well especially since it cannot be retrofitted.
I am shocked and frustrated at Maruti to read this.

This is such a basic feature that it should be present right in every variant. Ask anyone who has driven during rains/monsoon. Oh wait, anyone and everyone will know that already. Maruti is being a miser when trying to push folks for the higher variant.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:45   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the story with most AMTs I guess. I would say the AMT are better when driven similar to manual. we need to manipulate the gear to shift up or down and consider it as more about the convenience of not operating the clutch.

4AT will be different than AMT, it will definitely be smoother and quicker yet somehow I would prefer more modern 6AT at least for highway driving. 4AT might just do fine for city though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks