Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 11:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford is India's top vehicle exporter (H1, FY2017-18)

Ford has overtaken Hyundai to become the largest passenger vehicle exporter in India.

Ford is India's top vehicle exporter (H1, FY2017-18)-fordfigo31.jpg

According to the latest figures, Ford India exported 82,347 units during the first half of 2017 (April-September 2017). Ford India registered an 11.55% growth in exports compared to the same period last year. The company had exported 73,821 units in H1 2016.

Meanwhile, Hyundai's exports saw a dip during the same period. The Korean car maker's exports stood at 70,525 units, down from 87,499 units - a drop of 19.4 percent.

Sighting reasons for the slump in exports, a Hyundai spokesperson told the media that increased local demand forced the company to concentrate on meeting the requirements of the domestic market first. Further, Hyundai now has manufacturing facilities in Europe, Russia, US, Turkey, China and South Korea that can cater to global demands, which means that fewer cars are being exported from India.

While Ford and Hyundai swapped places, Maruti Suzuki retained the third spot. The car maker's exports stood at 60,063 units in H1 2017 compared to 60,526 units during the same period last year - a drop of 0.77%.

Total passenger vehicle exports during the period of April-September 2017 grew by 1.34% to 3,62,092 units.

Source:Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 11:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford is India's top vehicle exporter (H1, FY2017-18)

Quote:
Overall carmakers like Renault, Nissan, Volkswagen and Ford have been actively pushing exports from India as the local market gets more competitive with new models crowding the marketplace from mass market players.
This particular statement from the main news article seems innocuous but is alarming. Indirectly, above carmakers acknowledge that they cannot beat the Marutis and Hyundais, and that they're better off with the exports.

If only Ford considered positioning the Figo twins perfectly and not gone the vfm route then I don't know if such statements would be made.

Also, GM exporting nearly 45,000 LHD Beats seems like a good use of it's Talegaon plant, thereby pointing towards some of the short-term benefits of their pull out from markets. How the move plays out in the coming days is anyone's guess.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 09:35   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ford now exports more cars than it sells locally. The numbers are important to keep the factory running, profitability & operational efficiency. That said, their Indian sales are pretty decent too with the Endeavour & EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Sighting reasons for the slump in exports, a Hyundai spokesperson told the media that increased local demand forced the company to concentrate on meeting the requirements of the domestic market first.
For once, I'll believe the PR statement. Yes, it is true that Hyundai India is pretty much running at full capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
If only Ford considered positioning the Figo twins perfectly and not gone the vfm route then I don't know if such statements would be made.
Ford tried to do a 'Maruti' with the Figo & Aspire. That'll never work. It has to differentiate and offer world-class products, even if they're at a premium.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post

Well, personally I dont think there was anything wrong with the positioning.
The Figo twins were based on the Ford Ka platform, which is an affordable and entry level platform. There was no requirement or possibility on part of Ford, to position them as premium.

Ford's excellent premium platform (Fiesta Hatchback) never made it to India in Hatchback form.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:43   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford tried to do a 'Maruti' with the Figo & Aspire. That'll never work. It has to differentiate and offer world-class products, even if they're at a premium.
Exactly! Nobody wanted another Maruti, for those who were looking for a Maruti would never venture beyond Maruti! Ford made a big error in that crucial judgement and when they launched Figo and Aspire, the people who came looking for a Ford, found a Maruti. They went away. Ford India should realise they can't dilute their DNA and copy a strategy they haven't executed successfully anywhere.

Ford has to look up the value chain and bring in products like Fiesta, Focus, Kuga. Hope they learnt the bitter lesson and plans to move on than fight a losing battle. The yearly sales of Figo twins is around 30,000 and Dzire sells 34,000 a month!!! I don't know who gave them the audacious idea of trying to fight Maruti in budget segment, but he should analyse the Team-bhp car sales chart critically.

I'm the not so proud owner of an Aspire and the GNCAP comments about the body shell being unstable has left me with bad opinion about Ford India. If Ford don't amend their mistakes, this would be the first and last Ford for me.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 17th October 2017 at 11:47.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Well, remember that Honda succeeded in bringing in volumes even after diluting their DNA - with the Brio platform & economical but noisy (that is so anti-Honda) diesel engine. So Ford Figo/Aspire's failure cannot be attributed to 'deviation from DNA' factor alone.

Anyway, top vehicle exporter tag is good for Ford, good for India, good for automobile suppliers and will eventually be good for Indian customers. It will help Ford take more risks when it comes to introduction of new products (with & without Ford DNA).

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th October 2017 at 11:59.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 07:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is good news. I am glad for Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Well, remember that Honda succeeded in bringing in volumes even after diluting their DNA - with the Brio platform & economical but noisy (that is so anti-Honda) diesel engine. So Ford Figo/Aspire's failure cannot be attributed to 'deviation from DNA' factor alone.
Honda' biggest strength is the brand pull. And the perceptions of resale value and quality that goes with it. The latter has taken a big beating with the latest models but the larger market shouldn't care. Water leaks, rattles, poor NVH, bad seats etc. wouldn't get people stranded on the road. It doesn't affect resale too in a big way. And I think they have fixed the big ones over the course of time - the water leaks, Hydrolock, bad noises etc.

So, even if Honda has diluted its DNA with poor build quality, it doesn't matter as long as the badge is stuck on the cars. And I would say, Honda as a badge is more aspirational than a Maruti or Hyundai in our market.

Ford is very different in that aspect. The badge doesn't have that pull in our market here. And there is heavy baggage of service costs from the past. Ford has done so much in the recent past to address the concerns related to service. But apart from a bunch of enthusiasts or owners, I don't think anyone bothers. That is a very sad truth.

Now, if Ford dilutes the USP of the cars here - say if it doesn't drive like a Ford, or if it's not built like a Ford, then these enthusiasts or past owners will also look away from the brand. I believe an average Ford customer is more initiated about cars and willing to place a bet provided the car delivers. And that's where Ford went wrong with the new Figo and Aspire.

Hopefully, the brand has learned from it. Guess we got the sport variants of the Figo twins due to that. And the Figo Sport is selling well in Kerala at least.

Ford can be in a position of strength though. People don't balk at paying 30 lakhs for the brand even now. So, what the brand need is products which are expected of it. Vehicles which are fun to drive (not just the engine, but the whole package including the steering, suspension etc.) and built tough.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th October 2017 at 07:59. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:02   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, personally I dont think there was anything wrong with the positioning.
Clearly there was something wrong, else why would they have failed .

Quote:
Ford's excellent premium platform (Fiesta Hatchback) never made it to India in Hatchback form.
There you said it! Ford needs to bring in their well-engineered premium products here. No point trying to be "just another mass-market car manufacturer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Well, remember that Honda succeeded in bringing in volumes even after diluting their DNA - with the Brio platform & economical but noisy (that is so anti-Honda) diesel engine.
They also had a long list of failures - Brio, Mobilio, BR-V. The Amaze has sold <2,000 units for 3 of the last 6 months. When 5 out of your 8 products are underperforming, it is time to closely revisit your strategy.

I actually like the diesel engine though. Might be noisy, but it has excellent driveability & sufficient pep on tap.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 13:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
If they bring their Fiesta hatchback at a reasonable price point, I will be first in line to buy it. However, I don't know if there are enough people who are willing to pay a premium for a premium hatchback. The New Fiesta would clearly cost more than the Baleno or i20.
Old 18th October 2017, 14:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
If they bring their Fiesta hatchback at a reasonable price point, I will be first in line to buy it. However, I don't know if there are enough people who are willing to pay a premium for a premium hatchback. The New Fiesta would clearly cost more than the Baleno or i20.
If VW can price the equally premium Polo alongside the Baleno & i20, then what is the difficulty of Ford doing so?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Very strange conflicting news report - says Maruti is No.1 passenger vehicle exporter, Ford at No.4 position
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61170367.cms
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:30   #12
BHPian

Maruti is India's Largest Exporter of Passenger Cars - First Half of 2017-18

Maruti-Suzuki India Ltd. has taken top spot as the largest exporter of passenger cars in the first half of the ongoing fiscal year (2017-18). Erstwhile topper, Hyundai Motors India Ltd., has been pushed down to the fourth spot behind Volkswagen India and General Motors India.

According to SIAM, Maruti exported 57,300 units in the April-September period, a 6.1% increase compared to the 54,008 units during the same period last year. Long running number one exporter Hyundai, surprisingly, exported 44,585 units against 63,014 units for the same period last year, a decrease of 29.25%. Volkswagen India had a 16.92% growth, exporting 50,410 units compared to 43,114 units last year. VW is now the second biggest exporter behind MSIL.

Interestingly, GM India which has stopped sales of its cars in the country since May, is now the third largest exporter. They clocked in 45,222 units as against 30,613 units last year, an increase of 47.72%.

Ford and Nissan clocked in at fifth and sixth positions respectively. Ford exported 42,412 units as against 31,467 units same period last fiscal (increase of 34.78%) while Nissan exported 30,872 units as against 49,091 units (decrease of 37.11%).

Source: ET, Scroll.in
sleepyhead148 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:03   #13
BHPian

Re: Maruti is India's Largest Exporter of Passenger Cars - First Half of 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Ford has overtaken Hyundai to become the largest passenger vehicle exporter in India.

Attachment 1686031

According to the latest figures, Ford India exported 82,347 units during the first half of 2017 (April-September 2017). Ford India registered an 11.55% growth in exports compared to the same period last year. The company had exported 73,821 units in H1 2016.

Meanwhile, Hyundai's exports saw a dip during the same period. The Korean car maker's exports stood at 70,525 units, down from 87,499 units - a drop of 19.4 percent.

Sighting reasons for the slump in exports, a Hyundai spokesperson told the media that increased local demand forced the company to concentrate on meeting the requirements of the domestic market first. Further, Hyundai now has manufacturing facilities in Europe, Russia, US, Turkey, China and South Korea that can cater to global demands, which means that fewer cars are being exported from India.

While Ford and Hyundai swapped places, Maruti Suzuki retained the third spot. The car maker's exports stood at 60,063 units in H1 2017 compared to 60,526 units during the same period last year - a drop of 0.77%.

Total passenger vehicle exports during the period of April-September 2017 grew by 1.34% to 3,62,092 units.

Source:Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
What was this then in the other thread ? Contrasting reports. Both from Economic times.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:49   #14
BHPian

Re: Maruti is India's Largest Exporter of Passenger Cars - First Half of 2017-18

Exactly, the other thread here says Ford is the top exporter in H1 2017-18.
Old 23rd October 2017, 18:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Both reports claim similar numbers for Maruti (57-60k range), while Ford is significantly higher (~80k).

Are they measuring shipments of a specific class/type of car/passenger vehicle?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd October 2017 at 18:45.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks