Team-BHP - Maruti Union donates Rs. 72 lakh to kin of jailed workers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Union donates Rs. 72 lakh to kin of jailed workers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/191402-maruti-union-donates-rs-72-lakh-kin-jailed-workers.html)

The Maruti Suzuki Workers Union (MSWU) handed over a sum of Rs. 71.5 lakh to families of 13 former employees who were convicted for the violence at the Manesar plant in 2012.

Maruti Union donates Rs. 72 lakh to kin of jailed workers-marutisuzuki.jpg

Workers from Maruti's Manesar plant donated Rs. 5,000 each from their salaries to support the families of the convicts who are reportedly from a poor section of the society. Leaders and members of MSWU and Maruti Udyog Kamgar Union handed over Rs. 5.5 lakh to each family on Saturday.

Earlier, the Maruti Udyog Kamgar Union had handed over Rs. 50,000 each to 36 affected families. Sunbeam Auto Company had also donated Rs. 75,000 each to 13 families.

One person was killed and 85 others were injured when clashes broke out between workers and managers at Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant in July 2012.

The court had found 31 employees guilty of murder, attempt to murder, rioting among other offences and sentenced 13 of them to life imprisonment, while 4 were sentenced for 5 years. The remaining 14 accused were let off after serving their sentence.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

And what about the family of the person who was burnt alive? I hope his family was compensated, although no monetary compensation corresponding to death of a family member can be justified but it does help the family escape financial miseries.

I don't even feel pity for the guilty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiaztec (Post 4288675)
And what about the family of the person who was burnt alive? I hope his family was compensated, although no monetary compensation corresponding to death of a family member can be justified but it does help the family escape financial miseries.

I don't even feel pitty for the guilty.

Valid point and I am sure Maruti would have taken care on that part to the extent possible.

The other way to look at this donation is that the families of this rogue workers made no mistake. So why let them suffer in hunger. The workers are serving their sentence anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 4288886)
Valid point .......
The other way to look at this donation is that the families of this rogue workers made no mistake. So why let them suffer in hunger. The workers are serving their sentence anyway.

I understand your POV but isn't it like giving aid to the family of accused of murderers of Nirbhaya? Having such a notion, won't notorious elements among the union and workers think that come what may, their families will be taken care of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4288492)
Workers from Maruti's Manesar plant donated Rs. 5,000 each from their salaries to support the families of the convicts who are reportedly from a poor section of the society.

:thumbs up That is an incredible gesture. 5,000 rupees is not a small amount for a factory worker. I agree with Narayan - the poor families of the convicted workers aren't at fault.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiaztec (Post 4288675)
And what about the family of the person who was burnt alive?

Isn't it interesting that blue-collar workers came together & chipped in, but there is no news of the white-collar management doing so? Nevertheless, I'm sure Awanish Kumar Dev's family was compensated by Maruti & his insurance company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4288952)
:thumbs up That is an incredible gesture. 5,000 rupees is not a small amount for a factory worker. I agree with Narayan - the poor families of the convicted workers aren't at fault.

Isn't it interesting that blue-collar workers came together & chipped in, but there is no news of the white-collar management doing so? Nevertheless, I'm sure Awanish Kumar Dev's family was compensated by Maruti & his insurance company.

The workers should've thought about where they are putting their families before rioting and killing someone. It's not the families' fault, for sure but it's just the way they are used by the political / union system. I'm sure some fellow promised those families some money for the rioting as well. The money they never probably received.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 4288975)
The workers should've thought about where they are putting their families before rioting and killing someone. It's not the families' fault, for sure but it's just the way they are used by the political / union system. I'm sure some fellow promised those families some money for the rioting as well. The money they never probably received.

If you mean it, that families werent at fault, what is the problem? This is not tax payers money that the government is paying out to the victims resulting from their own deficiencies. The rest of your argument is baseless and quite honestly mere leap of failth.

While the gesture is aimed at goodwill and indeed a sigh of relief for the affected families, just look at how MSWU handled this case all this while.

1) Since I did not donate I should not comment but just saying -- MSWU has given this amount of 5L only to those convicted of life term. Even those who are serving 5 years have not got it. Not sure what was the logic. Maybe they have given and it is just not reported.
2) Those who followed the story are aware that MSWU fought for these workers all throughout even though they knew that some of them did create havoc. Never did they accept that workers were the one to start the fight.
3) MSWU and its lawyers played the caste card several times during the hearing to justify the attack done by these people.
4) The debate should not be whether it is a taxpayers money or not. Indeed it is not taxpayers money and so we can't comment much on it, but this is a forum and even if it was a taxpayers money, all we would end up doing is only discussing in the same forum stupid:

Quote:

Now that's a bit of unfair judgement. One could also says MSWU did not find worthwhile to give a penny or pound to Awanish Kumar Dev's family also. The man lost his life! and no he was not a rich bloke. All MSWU did was mourn for 2 mins for him.

Frankly one need not take sides in this because there are families affected on both sides and all these debates and counter arguments done by the keyboard warriors (Including me!) is not going to help them. At least someone is helping and as some famous guy once said money is definitely expensive if you are poor.

Quote:

:thumbs up That is an incredible gesture. 5,000 rupees is not a small amount for a factory worker. I agree with Narayan - the poor families of the convicted workers .......compensated by Maruti & his insurance company.

IMO, It would have been Incredible had the workers and the union chipped in to contribute to give a small monetory assistance to the family of the man who was killed.

MHO in a single sentence: That's what unions are for.