Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2017, 17:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Dzire: Fastest car to sell 1 lakh units

Sales of the new Maruti Suzuki Dzire have crossed the 1 lakh unit mark. After being launched in May 2017, the all-new Dzire has reached this sales milestone in record five and a half months.

Maruti Dzire: Fastest car to sell 1 lakh units-dzire-2.jpg

The car maker has also revealed that nearly half of the Dzire customers chose it as their first car and close to 17% of the customers opted for the Auto Gear Shift (AGS) variant.

Some of the features available on the new Dzire include a SmartPlay infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Mirror-link connectivity, automatic climate control with rear AC vent, parking sensors with rear view camera, ABS with EBD and airbags among others.

The new Maruti Dzire is offered with a 1.2-litre petrol engine which produces 82 BHP / 113 Nm and a 1.3-litre diesel engine which makes 74 BHP / 190 Nm of torque. Both engines are available in four trim levels each. While a 5-speed manual gearbox is standard, a 5-speed AMT is available on the top three variants of the petrol and diesel models.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th October 2017 at 17:02.
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 20:17   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Dzire: Fastest car to sell 1 lakh units

MARUTI DZIRE : Looks good,featured well,fuss free MASS,relatively less costly and the increasing trust factor on Maruti have done the magic of higher sales volume.
However, the car is less safe compared to other ones in the segment. The Indian car buyers do not require any safety features; only the cost factor is the primary concern, very pathetic and worrysome.
The Indian attitude only shall be the reason for good car makers to reduce the quality and Maruti has won the battle.
smuniswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Credit where it's due. The latest generation Dzire is a very well rounded package backed by a solid sales and service experience from Maruti.
Old 17th October 2017, 21:50   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Even I would have gone for this car had they plonked a more powerful diesel engine in it. Other than that, the car comes across as a great package and is truly a jack of all trades in its current avatar.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Even I would have gone for this car had they plonked a more powerful diesel engine in it. Other than that, the car comes across as a great package and is truly a jack of all trades in its current avatar.
Your wait isn't for too long. From what I know Maruti will plonk it's more powerful 1.5L diesel in Dzire by 2018 end or early 2019.
Carma2017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 22:22   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Your wait isn't for too long. From what I know Maruti will plonk it's more powerful 1.5L diesel in Dzire by 2018 end or early 2019.
That would indeed make it an excellent package. I am happy with my Figo TDCI for now .

But then, will they offer the same 1.5 in the Ciaz as well? They might just offer the 1.5 in different state of tunes. Will be interesting to see.
Old 18th October 2017, 10:38   #7
BHPian

Read in an article, out of the 32k sales of the Dzire, the old model sold to cabbies stood at 17k and the new was at 15k.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:11   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Dzire: Fastest car to sell 1 lakh units

Outstanding achievement .

We were just discussing in the office yesterday how Maruti hit the bulls eye with the new Dzire. It sure got the styling spot on, all important attributes are covered (making it an all-rounder) and there are some eye-catching features as well (e.g. LED headlights, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay). For an entry-level sedan, the Dzire does have some 'desirability' to it.

Blackwasp added that Maruti is selling all the Dzires it can possibly make. Even if they increase the production, there won't be any stock pileup. It'll sell even more .

Just makes me wonder what'll happen when the new Swift arrives here. In some months, the new Swift & Dzire alone could outsell all of Hyundais cars (manufacturer no.2).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Car buyers these days seem to have a higher budget.If recent sales are anything to go by, Top 5 cars fall in the 6-10 lakhs budget which is where Dzire falls.

Dzire seems to be on roll just by word of mouth as we hardly see any advertisement for it.( I believe this is the case with most Maruti blockbuster cars)

For anyone out to buy his first car/upgrading from a hatchback , Dzire is like a perfect option.Being Maruti there is a sense of reliability and predictability with brand for a first timer.

Dzire has managed to remove the Sub 4m sedan thing out of mind of buyers, since for many this looks like a Sedan now and has space and features of one as well.The fact that it managed to beat its hot selling cousin ( Baleno ) by a huge margin, itself is a great achievement.It will be interesting to know the age group of people who are buying Dzire and Baleno.

Its Super Happy Diwali for Maruti this year

Last edited by silverado : 18th October 2017 at 11:59.
Old 18th October 2017, 12:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuniswami View Post
MARUTI DZIRE :... fuss free MASS... and the increasing trust factor on Maruti have done the magic of higher sales volume.
Your words couldn't have been more ironic. Caught red handed breaking the customer's trust, Maruti has to do a lot to retain their place in the Indian buyers' heart.

That said, the new Dzire is a droolwothy option. Hope its success will not go into the manufacturer's head.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 14:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Your words couldn't have been more ironic. Caught red handed breaking the customer's trust, Maruti has to do a lot to retain their place in the Indian buyers' heart.

That said, the new Dzire is a droolwothy option. Hope its success will not go into the manufacturer's head.
It hasn't so far. Maruti sells their cars at reasonable prices and theirin lies its charm among other. They didn't get greedy like Toyota with Innova and Hyundai with Creta prices. And, it's a praiseworthy feat on part of Dzire to have almost completely wiped out its rivals' like Amaze, Etios, Xcent.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

I won't call Maruti as "Engineering disaster" but nor "Engineering marvel". It is "Engineering Improvisation". Suit the product to customer priorities.
1. Kitna Deytee hai.
2. Minimum size for maximum number of pax. Thigh to thigh, shoulder to shoulder - parvaah naheen.
3. Safety on crash or impact. What is that?
4. Overall size - length x width - entirely random. No need to see aerodynamics or ergonomics.
5. Like a dosa corner offering 100 varieties give every year a few 'models'.
Please, absolutely no offense whatsoever intended to Maruti owners. My points here only highlight Maruti's Strategies to be the market leader by miles than the second.
Old 18th October 2017, 20:05   #13
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has not only improved their offering with feature additions in each iteration of the Dzire but also kept the car's aspirational value high from an entry-level sedan buyer's perspective, so that it can never be ignored by someone looking to buy from that segment.

Though in terms of numbers they reached a milestone now, it's a Deja Vu moment in a way since I remember the situation was very similar even with the first generation car that demanded 6+ months of waiting for the Diesel variants in 2008/9.

Obviously, there are areas for improvement like questions being raised about sheet metal thickness, etc. I think better NCAP ratings will also go a long way in reassuring buyers about the safety and build quality aspects.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 22:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see so many people bashing Maruti without even owning one! Our garage has had vehicles from multiple brands

Chevy,Hyundai,VW(among cars), Hero Honda, Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki(bikes)

Of all these brands Maruti seems to be easiest to own for an non-enthusiast,I am very passionate about my cars, just sharing my POV! They deliver what they promise
-Decent A.S.S.
-Amazing resale value.
-Availability of parts in the open market.
-Warranty claims were easier.
-Extremely reliable(most important factor).

Last edited by giri1.8 : 18th October 2017 at 22:42.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Sad to see so many people bashing Maruti without even owning one! Our garage has had vehicles from multiple brands

Chevy,Hyundai,VW(among cars), Hero Honda, Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki(bikes)

Of all these brands Maruti seems to be easiest to own for an non-enthusiast,I am very passionate about my cars, just sharing my POV! They deliver what they promise
-Decent A.S.S.
-Amazing resale value.
-Availability of parts in the open market.
-Warranty claims were easier.
-Extremely reliable(most important factor).
I guess someone who has owned Marutis for more than two decades has the right to comment.

Someone who has driven a lot of European and American cars can pen down his thoughts.

Someone who has owned cars from the market leaders for most of his life and now owns one from the laggards in the Indian market can voice his opinions.

No offence meant to any Maruti owners but unless we as customers start taking safety seriously we will keep getting tin cans from various manufacturers.

Maruti service being the best or the cheapest is a myth. Same goes for any other manufacturer in India. All of them are equally good or bad. Maruti and Hyundai having a wide network helps finding at least one service center nearby who are less unethical than others.

I have owned Maruti 800 and Swift and had chance to use a Wagon R and Omni within my family.

Currently I own a Fiat GP 90 HP and my costs as well as service experience has been cheaper as well as much better than what I had for Swift. My Swift was serviced at an FnG towards the latter part of its life (total 1.2 L kms on odo) and my Fiat (total 60 K on the odo currently) is still being services at FASS. Like to like comparison I would spent equal or more on my Swift during the first 60 K. One of the main reasons they do not allow you near your car is MASS where as in FASS not even a single service has happened without my supervision. It helps root out unnecessary expenses that these service folks try to push down the customer throat.

It’s been more than 5 years since I last visited a MASS so am not sure if things have changed now. Same goes for Hyundai service. Close friends who own Hyundai’s have costs which are equivalent over the course of vehicle's life as European cars have longer service intervals.

Not getting into which car is better one doesn't need to be an engineer to figure out that the build quality of a Fiat or a VW or a Skoda is way better than Maruti. We can keep denying the fact pointing to various articles on Maruti's crash worthiness. But the truth is that a Swift or any other Suzuki sold in European countries itself are much better built than its Indian counter parts. Look at the kerb weight and one doesn't need to be genius to figure out that the Indian Suzuki's build quality is compromised.

I have read lots of posts here in TBHP as well other such automotive forums with folks jumping to defend a Maruti saying safety is not only the sheet metal thickness. Well-designed crumple zones, structural rigidity and what not are equally important. Yes I agree whole heartedly to this point. What everyone misses out is with all parameters remaining same a heavier car will have better crash worthiness than a lighter car.

I am pretty sure that my chances of surviving in a European/American car in case of a crash is much more than the made for India cars from other manufacturers who strip the cars of build quality before dumping them here. With all other parameters remaining same a heavier car has more chances of withstanding a crash than a lighter car. You can't really change laws of Physics. Can you?

Good that Europeans sell less cars which doesn't justify extensive R&D to make structural changes. No manufacturer is a saint but at least our car buying public is making sure that some of these manufacturers sell so less that they have no option but to sell cars which are same as the European/American counter parts.

Till the time Maruti focuses on build quality (not by providing balloons in lower variants) I will give it a skip. Till then I am thankful to Marutis and the Tatas and every other manufacturer who uses Fiat engines. They are giving us Fiat owners a chance to enjoy our cars.

I will not point to any links to prove my point. Drive a vehicle from the same manufacturer in any of the European or American countries. It won’t take much time to figure out what all we miss here in India.

Till such a time when Maruti focuses on "Kitna Bachati Hai" instead of "Kitna Deti Hai" I will live in my own bubble and enjoy my Fiat.
nibedk is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks