Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 20:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hardeep Singh Brar to be appointed as VW India Sales Head

A media report suggests that Hardeep Singh Brar is set to be appointed as the head of sales at Volkswagen India. He will take over from Steffen Knapp who joined as the brand director in June and had also been handling responsibilities as the interim sales head.

Hardeep Singh Brar to be appointed as VW India Sales Head-hsb.jpg

Mr. Brar was the head of sales at General Motors India before the company decided to shut shop. According to the report, his contract won't be over until March 31, 2018 however he was reportedly offered the option to exit the company by September 30, 2017.

Before joining GM, Mr. Brar was associated with Volkswagen India from 2012-15. During this period, he was the head of network development. In the past, he has worked with Maruti Suzuki, initially as the deputy sales manager and was later appointed as the head of corporate sales and rural marketing.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 12:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Hardeep Singh Brar to be appointed as VW India Sales Head

Oh wow. Not sure how it would impact VW's image with this hire. Wouldn't blame the fiasco on him though. The sales folks can't be expected to sell terrible (vintage) models while the competition is racing away by the minute.

Wish him good luck. He's got his job cut out for him.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 18:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I feel instead of poaching employees, companies should get new talents to lead the Sales and Operations.
Old 20th October 2017, 12:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I feel instead of poaching employees
What poaching? GM has exited India .

Quote:
companies should get new talents to lead the Sales and Operations.
The auto industry is a uniquely complex beast. There's no other engineered product that's as expensive, sells to individuals and yet manages such volumes. In senior positions, you'll usually see people with experience from the industry itself. Very rarely will an outsider come & create magic (Alan Mulally @ Ford was the rarest exception).

Salary levels might be another reason. I believe the Indian auto industry doesn't match the salary levels of say, biggies in FMCG & banking. The CEO of Maruti takes home 'merely' 4.2 crores. In comparison, Sikka was paid 40 - 50 crores at Infosys.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 13:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What poaching? GM has exited India .
The auto industry is a uniquely complex beast. In senior positions, you'll usually see people with experience from the industry itself.
Salary levels might be another reason. The CEO of Maruti takes home 'merely' 4.2 crores. In comparison, Sikka was paid 40 - 50 crores at Infosys.
I agree GTO with your views, but Indian Auto Industry needs fresh minds on the foreground. The salary levels are certainly different, it is better not to compare the invoicing of number of vehicles per month v/s number of employees per month. But in both the worlds there is cut throat competition.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 13:32   #6
BHPian

IMHO, companies really need to poach from Maruti. I would be surprised if at least some of TaMo's recent resurrection is not due to Mr Mayank Pareek.

Maruti has maintained market share in an insanely competitive market, which is all the more remarkable given their parent Suzuki is really a niche player in the global car market (not present in US, barely noticeable in Europe for ex). This is primarily due to some excellent strategies behind which are some of the best people in the business.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 23:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I would be surprised if at least some of TaMo's recent resurrection is not due to Mr Mayank Pareek.
This is primarily due to some excellent strategies behind which are some of the best people in the business.
I would say it was Karl Sym who changed the work culture in TaMo, he did not live to see it. Maruti is like Hero group, one engine with many variants. The other players are struggling with multiple engines and no variants approach.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 04:40   #8
BHPian

If the parent company of VW India doesn't doesn't pull up its socks, no one can save VW.
They can't be selling Vento or Polo forever
Old 21st October 2017, 06:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

I wanted the GT TSI so badly, if not for the limited space in the rear cabin - would have picked it up. Polo diesel is also good. I don't think the products are bad, just that it needs minor tweaks here n there. VW's biggest issue is after sales service. Fix that and the sales will pick up. For that you certainly need a Maruti veteran.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks