Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Which car has the most uncomfortable seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, for me Ecosport's front seat is the best I have experienced till date. It is a size small than what you see in the segment, but then the advantage is that it wraps me perfectly. My chronic back ache problem, which surfaces over long drives, has almost vanished after I moved to the Ecosport.
Exactly same here. I have driven my Ecosport 15-16 hours at a stretch but never felt fatigue or any sort of aches. Leh to manali was covered in a single day, similarly bathinda to srinagar was also done in a day, but I never feel stressed. Infact bathinda to jim corbett is also done thrice with 4 adults and 3 children, even backseat passengers have never complained of backaches.
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

We could have 2 scenarios -
1) A seat with good back & thigh support in a car with poor ride quality & excessive body roll, would be extremely uncomfortable (Eg. Wagon R).
2) A seat with poor back & thigh support in a car with good ride quality can mask its ineffectiveness(Eg. Duster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMileCruncher View Post
I've had to replace the seats to make the car more comfortable since I spend a good amount of time in there. I now have seats from a Swift desire fitted in my car and they provide much better comfort than the OEM seats the car came with.
Could you please provide further details on this mod. Was it a straight fit? What was the cost?
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

Could you please provide further details on this mod. Was it a straight fit? What was the cost?
Yes, it was a straight bolt on fit. I only swapped the seats (the swift seats were used ones) while retaining the original sliding mechanism that came with my car.

Cost me around 3k for both the front seats (with exchange).
TheMileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:31   #49
BHPian

Well I would say the worst front and back seat in my opinion would be of Bolero and then the WagonR, I don't know what's wrong but my lower back starts paining after 1 hour of drive in WagonR's front seats.
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

If we do consider Thar DI a car, well nothing could be worse than this! The most comfortable place in this car probably is to sit on the bonnet-when the car is stationary though.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

First gen Tata Indica, with its upright rear seats and forward protruding fixed-type headrests, nuff' said.

Anyone who sits in that rear seat for longer than 1 hour, combined with the sagging, hard suspension of the vehicle (since most of them are old anyway) is most certainly going to be walking out like a scoliosis patient. I have a strong back and I'm quite flexible and yet I felt my lower rear getting numb after 3 hours.. anyone with back problems will get demolished the way the car and seat was tossing me up and down. Fun though.

Such experiences are what caused the utter flop of the Tata Bolt which is the exact opposite of the Indica Man that car can even hurt Jaguar's reputation if one dares travel in it. To top it off there is zero space to rest the arms and the lower part of the seat is an outright bench.

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd May 2018 at 23:28.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 01:05   #52
BHPian

I'd go with the second generation Swift Dzire (also known as Dzire Tour). Like many average Indians, our family owns the car right now. Not only the cabin is cramped, the seats offer extremely poor lumbar support and head restraints feel completely useless to me. But then again, a sub-4 meter sedan for just 5.7L? Not enough room (For complaints, get it? )
Old 24th May 2018, 05:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Of late, I have been noticing a pain developing in my upper thigh, near the hip joint after about 90 minutes of driving.

After some experimentation, I figured out that my body doesn't like elevating the seat beyond a certain (very low) level

Perhaps some of this could be due to how you set up the car seat relative to the wheel & pedals.

I set it up so that I can fully press the clutch without over extending my knee and my right wrist rests comfortably on top of the steering. The back tends to be reasonably straight.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 07:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of the car or the seats, are you guys sitting on your wallets in your hip pocket? If you are not removing the wallet while driving/ bearing seated in the car or even your office, it is sure recipe for a backache.

Coming back to seats, I hate sitting on the rear bench of the old Mahindra jeeps. The benches on the sides. They are normally positioned so high that you have to bend forward in order to avoid hitting your head on the rods above. Anything from there feels like luxury.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 08:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

- Mahindra MM540 : all seats
- Mahindra Armada: all seats
- Mahindra Bolero: middle row
- Maruti Gypsy : side facing rear benches
- Maruti Van/Omni : all seats
- Maruti A Star : rear bench
- Maruti 1000/ Esteem (Type-1): rear bench
- VW Polo : rear bench
- SMART : 1st generation, rear
- Mini: Pre - BMW ownership models, all seats

And some of the good one's:
- Maruti Swift 1st generation front seats
- Opel Astra : all seats
- Tata Safari
- Skoda Yeti : fronts
- Ford Fusion : fronts
- Ford Fiesta Type 2 (Aston Martin grille): front seats

Best:
Volvo XC 60

All views are personal. And all seats evaluated by assessing subjective comfort levels such as ingress, egress, backrest angle, cushion depth, lower back support, side bolstering et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Irrespective of the car or the seats, are you guys sitting on your wallets in your hip pocket? If you are not removing the wallet while driving/ bearing seated in the car or even your office, it is sure recipe for a backache.
Very, very pertinent point. And totally valid. I, personally, suffered from acute right leg pain while driving. The good old family doctor asked me to remove the wallet and drive, and voilą, all traces of pain disappeared.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th May 2018 at 11:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 09:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
I'd go with the second generation Swift Dzire (also known as Dzire Tour). Like many average Indians, our family owns the car right now. Not only the cabin is cramped, the seats offer extremely poor lumbar support and head restraints feel completely useless to me. But then again, a sub-4 meter sedan for just 5.7L? Not enough room (For complaints, get it? )
Not sure if they change seats as per version. I have 2nd Gen DZire ZXI and seats are Faux Leather (Standard Fit). And have no complaint.

I am 6 footer and wide shouldered guy and usually do 700+ Kms trips every couple of months and I find lumbar support to be adequate. One thing I do while driving is that I remove my wallet, mobile off my pant or shorts pockets and make sure the seat positions (incline, forward and thigh) is not meddled with. So that my muscle memory kicks in the moment I enter my car. During long trips, I tend to move forward (towards steering) every 15-20 minutes to relax the lower hip muscles. I guess thats a minor stretch exercise all drivers do irrespective of car that they drive to beat drowsiness.

Probably as you suggested the Tour might have different cushion fit.
Old 24th May 2018, 09:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have owned and used many cars till date, few of them over two lakh km. I will list these in three categories uncomfortable acceptable comfortable. I'm starting with uncomfortable as it is the thread title.

Uncomfortable.
1. Esteem
2. Polo

Acceptable
3. WagonR
4. Indica (1999)
5. Indigo (2002)
6. Tavera
7. Terrano
8. Ford Ikon

Comfortable
9. Indica (2005)
10. Tata Estate
11. Innova
12. Ford Ecosport

Of these the last 3 have supported me on 16 Hr close to 1000km highway runs without any trouble.
There are members of my family who found the Polo comfortable, but I think comfort is also a size, height and posture issue.

Rahul

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2018 at 08:28. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks