Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2017, 07:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which car has the most uncomfortable seat?

Sometime ago, I had asked a question on the best seats.

It was a reasonably popular thread but it sort of fizzled out as it was impossible to come to any conclusions as there was no way to generalize the results. People did not have too much experience across cars; and the price band obviously had a significant impact on the comfort of the seat, perceived or otherwise.

I realized that I had asked the wrong question!

The right question to ask would have been:

Which car had the most uncomfortable seat you have experienced? Why?

The answer to this question will be useful - it makes sense to figure out if a seat is uncomfortable for a given type of person, it should be applicable to all people of that type. At least, that is the hope.

Let us keep the discussion focused on currently sold cars.

My picks, from my experience:

- Front Seat:
- The Baleno with their stupid, thick fake leather seat cover. That seat cover levels any contouring of the seat and just kills the comfort. It is actually good without the seat cover but you cant get one for test drive without it!
- Rear seat:
-VW Polo TSI - absolutely no support nor space.
- Tata Bolt: In a taxi - the fixed rear headrest kept poking into by back

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2017 at 23:08. Reason: Expanding the title of the linked thread
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 08:22   #2
BHPian

re: Which car has the most uncomfortable seat?

For me it is Honda Jazz. It has an awkward convex shape, makes your upper body to be forcefully erect.
Old 21st October 2017, 08:25   #3
BANNED

The middle row of the Bolero/Marshal(remember this vehicle?). Too upright, hardly any legroom and a bouncy ride to top it all.

Driver's seats are generally acceptable in most cars but vehicles like the Ambassador and the Thar have weird pedal placement and angled steering columns making driving uncomfortable.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 08:37   #4
BHPian

For me it would be the Ford Ecosport , the front seats on the car have such thick squab which gushes into your back . Makes driving really uncomfortable on long journeys .

However to include one more likely candidate , it's my 2008 Swift VDi which has also terrible front seats really uncomfortable on long journeys .
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 08:41   #5
BHPian

Front Seats: VW Polo for its non-existent lower back support. I own one and did a fix by getting an aftermarket back support.

Rear Seats: Polo again for its cramped rear and a monstrous transmission tunnel.
Infact I find many small cars which are not India specific comes with cramped rear. May be it is not a deal breaker abroad as they are primarily used for commute two people in comfort.
WhiteFang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 08:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Punto,front seats, not for the seats but the vague ergonomics. You almost certainly have to adjust yourself for a good central seating position.

The rear is cramped. The seats by themselves are comfortable once you settle in.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
Rear Seats: Polo again for its cramped rear and a monstrous transmission tunnel.
Pardon my ignorance, but is Polo a rear wheel drive? I never knew it.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Rear seats

Ford Endeavor - the frikkin thing bounces you along with no support whatsoever

WagonR - the back seat is pretty much a bench. No under thigh support or any lateral support for anyone bigger than 5 6'.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is Polo a rear wheel drive? I never knew it.
Nope. It is not but, But VW believes (or the other brands), it improves the structural rigidity.

For me seat wise, it has to be those jump seats we used to have in the third row (Sumo, Qualis, etc) and for longer journeys extremely low seating cars like the Civic, Accent, Esteem get my vote.
MartinVirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 10:17   #10
BHPian

Front - Chevrolet Tavera. Though not on sale anymore it deserves a special mention. The driver seat doesn't have side bolsters to keep you planted on the seat on the turns. I had to keep myself pressed inside the seat to stay in position on turns.

The best part about the driver seat and the whole car was the AC vent placed right underneath the steering wheel which kept the driver's essentials cool and sweat free on those long drives.
If anyone knows of any other car that comes with that feature please let us know.

Rear - TATA Xenon. I just love the way it looks but with all the space available to play with why did Tata screw up the rear seats is unimaginable. The rear seats are too upright & the space at the rear is cramped too.

Last edited by wrongturn : 21st October 2017 at 10:33.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 10:37   #11
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2017 at 23:10.
namanchaudhary is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st October 2017, 10:59   #12
GT3
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2017 at 23:10.
GT3 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st October 2017, 12:08   #13
BHPian

The erstwhile original Maruti Zen's rear seats were plain torture on long journeys.
The front seats felt like pits for short people !

Amongst the newer cars, Polo and Swift stand out for redefining all our notions of being cramped in the rear.

I have always felt that Ford seats are always too hard and rigid, esp the Ecosport and the Figo twins.
Old 21st October 2017, 13:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think best seats out there depend on the segment you are looking at as everyone's opinions would vary. Same goes for worst seat out there.

That said, I am surprised no one has mentioned the Indica. Whenever I ride in an Uber which is an Indica, my body hurts after just half an hour sitting in the front seat. Now I am in my early 20s very fit and rarely have issues with seats (unless it is about legroom). Heck I even ride an RC390 for long durations of time with no complaints, so I am sure there would be more folks out there who feel the same way about the Indica's seats.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st October 2017 at 13:06.
Old 21st October 2017, 13:03   #15
BHPian

Talking about modern cars, i think ciaz has one of the most uncomfortable front seats i've ever sat on. Not only were they uncomfortable, but my back started aching after sitting just 30 mins. 2 of my friends have ciaz and both of them say the same thing.

Most Viewed