Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 18:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes

The first phase of Roll on, Roll off (Ro-Ro) ferry has begun between Dahej and Ghogha. Initially, only the passengers will be able to use this service. The second phase is expected to be rolled out in 2 months which will be able to carry cars and the third phase will have ferries that will be able to transport trucks.

Gujarat has one of the largest coastline among the states in India. The ferry will cut short the almost 300 km route to just 30 km. If successful, similar projects will be undertaken all over India.

This Ro-Ro ferry has been undertaken by Essar Projects, and the service will be extended to other locations across the Gulf of Khambat and Gulf of Kutch at a later stage. Future plans include linking the state of Gujarat with Mumbai and other southern states of India. It is funded by the government of Gujarat and the central government's Sagarmala project. The Sagarmala project aims to utilize the vast maritime resources of India, including the large coastline and other inland waterways. The project aims to provide a boost to the Indian economy with logistics and mobility across the waterways.

Apart from the potential time and monetary savings, such a ferry service will promote the regional development as well.

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-roro.jpg

Source - Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 24th October 2017 at 10:20.
blackwasp is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes

This is a great news, places where-in we have no more place to build highways or fly-overs this is a great alternative.

Similar thing is going to happen soon in Mumbai but with ferry's carrying cars, the route will be Ferry Wharf (a.k.a Bhau cha Dhakka) to Alibag (Mandwa). Heard this will start sometime in November with rates approx Rs.650/- for cars with 4 passengers. Current route is of 110 to 140 kms by road. This ferry route will reduce the route to 15-17 kms by water.

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-capture.jpg

Currently there are a lot of people who travel by ferry daily between Mumbai to Alibag from Gateway of India. This Ro-Ro Ferry will be a welcome addition.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 23rd October 2017 at 19:34.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a great news, that will really boost the business in nearbuy area. Waterways are the cheapest, and except a handful of states like Kerala, we are happy to ignore the vast circuit of rivers crisscrossing our country and hell bent on building new roadways. I hope this will pave way to even more such ro-ro services all around the coastline.

OT, but cue the environmentalists to stop any further progress that may help India. I wonder when the protests and dharnas will start to oppose this?!

EDIT: This image posted by the party in power shows the distances from Bhavnagar to Bharuch, main towns as compared to the ports. It shows that from Bharuch to Bhavnagar, 6 hour road distance is now 3 hours with a combination of road and sea travel. However since the picture is heavily politicized, mods may remove or edit it. I have absolutely no connection with any political party.

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-dmudhfeumaag7nm.jpg-large.jpg

Last edited by ani_meher : 23rd October 2017 at 19:56.
ani_meher is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

More than 2 decades ago, precisely in the year 1992 was when the first hovercraft service was started, connecting the Diamond City of Surat to the coastal city of Saurastra (Bhavnagar)!

While in school, we watched this news on the only TV channel back then and were excited to learn how fast were these hovercrafts and back then itself, they said it will cut short the travel time from 8 hours to 40 minutes!

Sadly, this service didn't continue beyond 6 months since inception for whatsoever reasons.

Here is the snippet of the news article that even referred about this hovercraft service:

Quote:
The much talked about prospects of an hovercraft service between Surat in south Gujarat and Bhavnagar in the Saurashtra peninsula seems to have brightened with at least three parties having evoked keen interest in the proposal of starting a hovercraft service.

It was exactly ten years back in 1992 that a hovercraft service had started between Surat and Bhavnagar via Ghogha. However, the service folded up within six months.
We may have better road connectivity today, including Airports. A lot of cities here are way too urban with sprawling SSIs, especially the Saurashtra region. Back then, it didn't have many takers but today if one considers the travel time even with good roads and toll, this one indeed saves a lot of time lost in traversing through the land while the route via salt waters is simply a hop between 2 shores located so close.

I remember passing Surat past 2200 Hours on my way to Ahmedabad once and I could notice a sea of buses coming out of the city headed to various destinations in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Surat being the second largest city in Gujarat, with its immense reputation for attracting diamond workers will largely be benefited with this service if its executed in a better manner this time - Regular & frequent service, easy on pocket (comparable to fare of overnight AC sleeper buses).

Back then no one saw how the domestic aviation industry took us by storm that today so many take a flight to reach their destinations.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th October 2017 at 11:30. Reason: As requested
paragsachania is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:11   #5
BHPian

I wonder why this project is being promoted as 'first of it's kind'? I would be thankful if someone helps me understanding this.

Already few such services are operating in India.
One is in Kerala, another is in Andman since decades, though not sure if that is still in operation or not. There are few others as well in the country.

I remember seeing pictures of HVK's Scorpio in such ferry boat which he posted long ago on social media, not able to recall which one was it.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd October 2017 at 20:17.
tbppjpr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I wonder why this project is being promoted as 'first of it's kind'? I would be thankful if someone helps me understanding this.

Already few such services are operating in India.
One is in Kerala, another is in Andman since decades, though not sure if that is still in operation or not. There are few others as well in the country.

I remember seeing pictures of HVK's Scorpio in such ferry boat which he posted long ago on social media, not able to recall which one was it.
I remember taking this ferry, a few years back.
Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-hqdefault.jpg

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 21082
Size:  34.5 KB

And why it is considered a 'gift'? Won't the public pay for this service?
msdivy is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

When I read the news report, what caught my eye was the long time (1 hr 45 mins) taken to cover just 30 kms. Port Blair to Havelock Island ferry covers 70 kms in 2.5 to 3 hours

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-havelock.jpg

Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-pc130190.jpg

However, the Andamans Ferry is just a passenger ferry while this one can carry vehicles. The Dover (UK) to Calais (France) Ro Ro Ferry covers 80 kms in 1 hr 30 mins.
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I don't think that this is being promoted as "first of its kind in India".

You can read the article I have referred above in my post. Secondly, such Point to Point service via sea was never a popular option in Gujarat despite the fact that there were a lot of bigger cities on the coastline - Surat - Bhavnagar - Veraval - Porbandar - Kandla - Jamnagar.

The hovercraft service was once operating between Surat and Bhavnagar, in 1992 but was dud. With rapidly changing dynamics in transport industry and the immense emphasis in saving time, and the way the coastline of Gujarat is, I hope people use this service as a viable alternate.

EDIT - Here we are referring to Hovercraft and not a ferry that has a much faster speeds and comfort levels (proper seating like a typical 2×2 Bus).

There are ferry services in Gujarat at many places anyway - Kandla, Veraval, Jamnagar etc.

Main land to island is what we all have seen because there is no road, this is focusing on main land to main land, which is a shorter and faster option.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd October 2017 at 20:43.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Encouraging to see that we Indians are getting 'sea minded' and looking at water transport as a real alternative. Most of our 10 large rivers can be navigated by large barges from the delta to 200 to 500 kms upstream depending on the river and hydroelectric dams. Water transport as most may know is the most fuel efficient if speed is not of the essence. A typical WDM diesel-electric locomotive of the Indian Railways generates 2600 shp and could pull I would say 1000 tonnes of payload (25 tonne per wagon x 40 wagons) at a comfortable 60 kmph [experts please indicate if this is directionally correct]. For the same 2600 shp a small coastal cargo ship could carry a payload of ~2500 tonnes at about a steady 24 kmph (13 knots). And at sea time is not locked up in signals, cross-over pauses, crossings etc. Not making a comparison with road haulage as that is far less fuel efficient.

The hovercraft in Gujarat was not successful for one primary reason - fuel burn and associated costs. Payload for payload a hovercraft is less efficient than even an aircraft in terms of fuel consumption. It only makes sense when the vessel needs to travel over terrain which is too thick to sail through and too thin to drive over. A hover craft is a flying device where the engine has to provide not only all the motive power but also all the lift by brute thrust. A hover craft makes sense if speed is of the essence and/or the route includes some land/swamp/thin ice travel in addition to water.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd October 2017 at 22:43.
V.Narayan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 23:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good to know this project is up and hope it gets enough of a market to make it financially viable. I did notice a couple of years ago there was a plan for a bridge but glad we went for the cheaper mode of transport as environmentalists and journalists would have a field day with the bridge!

Also adding to what Sir V Narayanan mentioned i am watching how the ferry services on our rivers pick up. Will certainly take off a lot of traffic off roadways and rail. We really need faster and smarter ways to travel between points as our countries population really needs it.

I did see a documentary of a fast catamaran which was planned to travel between hawain islands but it failed to gain traction amongst passengers and now the US navy uses these boats. So until we find something which is feasible the ferry will work.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:55   #11
BHPian

Coastal line of Karnataka (and Kerala) has plenty of small harbors, introduction of similar service (especially for goods) can take away lot of burden from highways and railway lines.

Few decades ago, small boats were common mode of transportation, somehow got lost as we 'progressed'.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Attachment 1688822

Attachment 1688824

In 2014 I have used this service. It really does the job well and shorten the distance. The huge boat carry KSRTC buses, Cars, Bikes, People and so on.
arin_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

We should highlight this every time politicos implement any scheme. I also still dont understand why we have to tolerate their names being put on stone for various projects. It irritates me everyday I see them.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Is RO-RO covered by the regular car insurance policy? There have been such ferry services in Konkan for quite some time but I have refrained from putting my car onto the ferry because I am not sure if insurance covers it. I asked this on HVK forum as well and a couple of members think our regular policy covers RO-RO. Sadly, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". Every once in a while I read in papers that someone put the car on the boat and forgot to pull the handbrake and car rolled into the water, etc. Does anyone know if insurance company settled the claim in any such case?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:05   #15
BHPian

i have used ferry service wherever available and there are many operational across india . There are around 5 ferry points on Godavari River in Konaseema region , Andhra pradesh . Likewise Konkan region has got few, I recently travelled between Valneshwar & Ganpatipule along with my car .
rm_arjuna is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks