Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 11:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India

Thanks to Pranav Bubna for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India-20171021_171829.jpg

The Skoda Karoq has been spotted in India. The SUV was snapped in an airport parking lot, sporting Czech Republic license plates and was parked alongside the recently launched Skoda Kodiaq.

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India-20171021_171846.jpg

The Karoq is the replacement for the erstwhile Yeti. It uses Volkswagen's MQB platform and is longer and wider than its predecessor. It also features a more conventional design. At first glance, it looks a lot similar to the larger Kodiaq. The front end features a similar grille with vertical slats and a chrome border. The shape of the LED headlights is different compared to its larger sibling. The headlamp clusters feature LED DRLs, while fog lamps are placed just below them. The Karoq gets a dual-tone front bumper. Unlike the Kodiaq, it does not get a scuff plate.

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India-20171021_171816.jpg

On the sides, the Karoq gets squared-off wheel arches filled with alloy wheels shod with low-profile tyres. The India-spec vehicle is expected to ride on smaller diameter wheels and tyres with taller sidewalls. The car has blacked-out B and C-pillars and a chrome border around the window area. The car also has roof-rails and a roof-mounter rear spoiler.

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India-20171021_171807.jpg

At the rear, the Karoq features re-profiled tail lights, rear wiper and a black rear bumper with integrated reflectors.

In the international market, the top-spec Karoq comes with a 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with gesture control, a digital instrument panel and safety systems like blind spot detect, rear traffic alert, city emergency brake, pedestrian protection, lane assist, driver alert, traffic sign recognition, etc.

Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India-20171021_171924.jpg

The India-spec Karoq could be offered with a 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine. The engine options might also include a 1.5-litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine, although Skoda is yet to make a formal announcement regarding the same.

It is rumoured that the Skoda Karoq will be launched in India in 2018. It is expected to be pitted against the Jeep Compass.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India

The info I have is that Skoda India will announce the launch of the all-new Karoq early next year, and it will be offered in a single variant as well (just like big brother Kodiaq).

More importantly, the pricing indication is quite steep - Rs 30-32 lakhs OTR for the Karoq.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:11   #3
BHPian

The side profile of the Karoq appears quite "plain Jane". The front is generic Skoda. Off course, this is my personal opinion based on the above pictures. And if the price indicated by RavenAvi is true, then it is likely to remain a niche product, not a main stream vehicle. Just like the Yeti.

The Jeep Compass has set a benchmark in this category, at least as far as pricing is considered and other manufacturers will have to benchmark their pricing in relation to the Compass' pricing. Let us see how long Jeep can hold on to these prices !

Last edited by RedRaider : 24th October 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Grammar.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
More importantly, the pricing indication is quite steep - Rs 30-32 lakhs OTR for the Karoq.
That's fairly decent pricing to be honest - in line with the Octy vRS, and a few lakh premium over the Octavia Diesel, which is to be expected in our market.
Guessing it will share the engine and gearbox from either the Octavia or the Kodiaq, and will be the fully loaded L&K trim (or one notch below - Style trim).

Slots in quite well given the Kodiaq is at 34L ex-showroom - with the Tiguan filling the gap between the Karoq and Kodiaq.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:55   #5
BHPian

Is it just me or are these cars Left hand drive ?
Old 24th October 2017, 13:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Is it just me or are these cars Left hand drive ?
They are - they have Czech plates.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It is expected to be pitted against the Jeep Compass.
Quote:
If RavenAvi is correct (which he is most of the time) then how can Karoq be pitted against Compass? Or maybe Skoda wants Karoq to be "Display Only" Vehicle

Last edited by ajmat : 24th October 2017 at 14:21. Reason: fixing quote
nitinralli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 15:03   #8
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Karoq SUV caught in India

Quote:

That is quite a decent pricing, for what Skoda offers in bells and whistles in their cars, they sometimes end up superseding even what competition offers at that price-point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post

The Jeep Compass has set a benchmark in this category, at least as far as pricing is considered and other manufacturers will have to benchmark their pricing in relation to the Compass' pricing. Let us see how long Jeep can hold on to these prices!
I would disagree with this, our extended family just booked a Compass Longitude Option, and the OTR for it was INR 22.84, now for that kind of pricing, it does not have LED tail lamps, bi-xenon headlights and misses out of leather interiors and has regular projector headlamps. Heck, what more, even the latitude option priced at 26 odd lacs, does not come with auto wipers, or auto headlamps, and has only 4 airbags, bi-xenons, LED tail lamps, two-tone color, 4X4 and leather interiors as additional over the Longitude Option. This I am saying the petrol version.

Put that in perspective to the competition, of course, it depends on whom would you want to call Jeep's competition, they offer far more features whether feel good or safety as compared to Compass and are relatively cheaper too.

Having owned an Octavia, and having known how well loaded the car is, I am sure, even the Koraq will be equally loaded, then I think 30 Lacs as a price point is absolutely valid.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If RavenAvi is correct (which he is most of the time) then how can Karoq be pitted against Compass? Or maybe Skoda wants Karoq to be "Display Only" Vehicle
I don't know. In today's scenario if I wanted a new crossover for city and highway commute I might just consider this over the Compass. As nice as the compass is, its not well equipped and is relatively unknown in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. VAG have had their fair share of demons but they're a known devil and off late have been shown to have bullet proof reliability (for the most part); One can't deny the levels of equipment expected either.

However, this will be another standard VAG launch. I can almost see the cabin and equipment levels as well as feel how the car will drive. Maybe a used X1 over this would be a better buy....

Last edited by imp! : 24th October 2017 at 16:05.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:53   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to Athul Benoy for sharing!

Quote:
I have seen the Skoda Karoq post in the Forum.

I noticed that the Kodiaq which is parked next to the Karoq is the Scout version, and not the normal version which is available in India. Indian Kodiaq does not get scuff plates and I can also notice the 'Scout badge' on the side picture. Kodiaq Scout could also be testing in India along with the Karoq.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 17:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thanks for this scoop. Definitely, good news

I am also waiting for Karoq launch (ever since I sold my SX4, that happened couple of weeks back) probably in early 2018 as per some media reports. But, will it be this costly? Given the engine size as reported as 1.5 cc engine, which is smaller than Octavia, I think they would price it OTR below 25 L.

Anyway, it's going to be an excellent SUV with all latest features with a big boot (520 l), the size is unusual for an SUV, and is one of the criteria for me for long drives.

waiting fingers crossed
Old 24th October 2017, 17:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
.....I would disagree with this, our extended family just booked a Compass Longitude Option, and the OTR for it was INR 22.84, now for that kind of pricing, it does not have LED tail lamps, bi-xenon headlights and misses out of leather interiors and has regular projector headlamps. Heck, what more, even the latitude option priced at 26 odd lacs, does not come with auto wipers, or auto headlamps, and has only 4 airbags, bi-xenons, LED tail lamps, two-tone color, 4X4 and leather interiors as additional over the Longitude Option. This I am saying the petrol version.
Word have to agree with you. The Jeep Compass does not have a 4WD auto and this would be the main differentiator for the Koraq. Also more interior space than the Jeep, better off road capability than the Jeep (all reviews and off road tests so far have pointed to the superiority of the Tiguan off road system to the Jeeps, and Koraq should get the same system). Also the Skoda is likely more feature packed as you mention here. However to really be a volume hit, Skoda should offer a strip down 2WD version with MT for 19.99 ex showroom. It is quite possible, the Octavia 1.4 TSI MT starts at 15.7 lakhs and is based on the same MQB platform.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th May 2019 at 11:32. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 25th October 2017, 04:16   #13
BHPian

I would say there is no correlation between this car and Skoda's plans to launch Koraq in the Indian market.

These cars would be probably be used by Czech diplomats.

Anyway only an eagle-eyed TeamBHPian can spot such gems in filled car parking lots. :-)
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 15:02   #14
BHPian

Skoda India is on a roll!

Octavia, lovely vRS (All the cars allotted from the first batch of 250 cars are Sold out), Kodiaq and now Karoq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I would say there is no correlation between this car and Skoda's plans to launch Koraq in the Indian market.

These cars would be probably be used by Czech diplomats.
IMO, I am a bit skeptical about these cars being used by the Czech diplomats. If you observe the number plates there is Skoda's sticker job over it, including the website. More probability of these cars being imported by Skoda India, you can expect a camouflaged LHD Karoq on our roads soon
Old 25th October 2017, 17:06   #15
BHPian

I spotted these two while coming back from Chandertaal end of last month. Spotted them at Rohtang Pass. Will dig for the video i recorded on my GoPro and post it later.

The Karoq looked absolutely fantastic and had a fantastic road presence.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed