Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:13   #76
BHPian

My two cents.

When Reselling to individuals
Resale value is always affected. I have seen this tendency in India, while buying people do not want the right picture, meaning what is a difference between a December 09 car and Jan 09 car . Logically just a month but a naive buyer when goes out to buy he/she, the fact hovers that its an extra year old.

When Reselling to Dealers
Mind you, you may convince a individual buyer with the fact of dec-jan but I can assure you that you cant convince a dealer. A Dec 09 car registered in Jan 10 is called "Kacha-Pakka" by dealers in business terms. They are very rigid on lowering your car value with this kacha-pakka thing. This is because when they sell they also do not get the resale value which they would get for a car manufactured in Jan 10.

I understand a hatchback like ritz will depreciate at least 30K per year be it in any condition (provided kept for at least 4-5 years) . If you plan to sell early then depreciation is higher !!!

So the call is yours benefits today or resale tomorrow :-)

Btw getting a 2010 manufactured car, do not expect that before mid February. Also if anytime you decide to buy 2010 car then please be discreet in getting it written on your invoice by dealer that car should be 2010 manufactured. Jan-Mar are the months where most customers are delivered previous year manufactured car. Once registered you wont be able to do much!
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

As already stated by others, it all depends on how long you intend to keep the car. With cars being built the way they are, vehicles last decently upto 10 years. Anybody keeping the car for more than 5 years should ideally buy in December provided there is not a major upgrade in the immediate future as the resale affected is very marginal.

An ideal comparison would be amount you will loose in case of a Dec car vis-a-vis gain in extra discount. If the latter is higher, then please go ahead and buy. In this case it make more sense to buy now as all manufacturers are going to hike prices in the New Year.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

So delix, Have you made up your mind now or still looking to get confused.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:18   #79
Senior - BHPian

Even if you buy in Jan/Feb there is no guarantee that you will get a car manufactured in the new year. The year of manufacture in the RC book is not based on purchase or date of registration.

Also, car manufacturers offer massive discounts during year end. Ford India offered almost 1 Lakh discount on Fiesta in Decemeber 2009. I do not think that this price difference can be compensated during resale by waiting for the new year.

Hence If the manufacturer is offering massive discounts during year end, I think it is better to grab that offer rather than waiting for New Year
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:16   #80
BANNED

Hi dont bother about the resale on the model part (2009/2010).actually it is only a negotiation tactics .

If you buy in jan and sell in in nov then buyer counts the whole 11 month of the year you purchased.If you buy in dec ,then they claim that car is one year older and stuff.

It all depends on

1 to whom you are selling
2 when are you selling

What you need to look out

1. discounts in december,especially for 2009 model stock available in jan 2010 (discount will be higher that dec,trust me)

2. find out if the next year model is going to have a facelift or additional features. Acutally even this doent matter as it can happen an year later too. (say 2011)

If you calculate you get huge discounts in december and when you sell your car is asked for 10-20k less as its 1 year older by just a month.But that 10-20k you have got as discount in the December

Am i boring ?

i friend did work for auto company so i have given this gyan
Old 3rd December 2009, 02:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Best thing to do it,book the car and do a temperory registration and make the final registration in Jan/10. Since the car value is seen from the registration date. you will not lose on resale/ but you will get lots of discount in this month.
It does not quite work like that. There is a column in RC book (at least in Kerala) where they mention date of first registration which will be the date of temporary registration.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

if you are selling after 5-6 years then you need not worry if it is dec/jan. If it is being sold to a dealer /first choise etc places then JAN will give good value. If it is to an individual then it is easy for you to convience him and he will also know what is JAN/DEC vehicle. IMO
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:23   #83
BHPian

why do dealers offer such discounts in december? is it to clear stocks or do they have to meet certain numbers in terms of sales per year?
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:22   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
why do dealers offer such discounts in december? is it to clear stocks or do they have to meet certain numbers in terms of sales per year?
"rajat" it is to clear the stocks. Every month there will be certain number s to be sold. So month end buying will also have some discounts(in many cases)
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:25   #85
BHPian

on topgear they say the dealers get a bonus if they sell a certain number of cars per year, is that true here?
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
on topgear they say the dealers get a bonus if they sell a certain number of cars per year, is that true here?
On top of the margin per car, they also have targets per month/quarter/annual. Achievement of these allows them to get extra money per vehicle sold. So sometime dealers actually sell below NDP just to make sure they achieve the target and the resultant incentive.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:18   #87
BHPian

Its really advisable to buy a new car in December as you can get some discounts on the eve of Christmas & get a car in some dropped price, & then get the car registered in January so that you can have a new number & new year on RC book.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:52   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
If you are not in a hurry for a car (ofcourse you will lose the december discounts), then wait till january. There are chances to get cars with some upgradation - but in the meantime there may be price increase also. December is the month for dealers to boost the sale to achieve their targets.

When the car is on resale, the prospective buyers first quetion will be the year of built (not month) so 2009 december built is as much as 2009 built.

Alternatively, you can discuss with the dealer and finalise the rate/discount etc
and tell him that you need January manufactured car or as suggested by others
register the car only on january 2010?
True, I faced this issue while selling my Indica which i took in December 1999. The car was stamped to be a 1999 model car and thus got a bit less on the resale amount...
Old 4th December 2009, 12:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hi Folks,
Iam planning for the Ritz VXI and till end of dec there is a 15k cash discount available. So here is my plan. Let me know if its a wise thing.
Planning to go ahead and pay the Showroom price less 15k, get the vehicle in Jan 1st week and then go ahead and pay the insurance + RTO charges.
Meanwhile I can do a PDI and be safe to raise a flag in case of any damage /niggles to the car.
Whats say?
Are you sure there is a 15K discount for the Ritz Vxi model? Or is it for the disel model? Because when i enquired with the dealer in Kolkata, they said that all the discount are for the Ritz disel model and there is none for the petrol model this December.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:33   #90
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Its really advisable to buy a new car in December as you can get some discounts on the eve of Christmas & get a car in some dropped price, & then get the car registered in January so that you can have a new number & new year on RC book.
Actually many of the car dealers let you book in Dec at dec prices and are prepared to commit a jan registration and even jan manufacturing while you give the booking. An Optra booked in our office a few years back allowed this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks