Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 13:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Depreciation is calculated on a month to month basis. So no need to worry about that while making a decision to buy a car this year or next year. The only issue is that of a psychological factor about owning a 2011 model instead of 2010 model.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:40   #107
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manz,

Welcome to T-BHP.

Its our Indian mentality to see the year of purchase rather than the period the car is with the owner and the condition of the car. As said in ealier posts most of the car purchases happen during the last three months of year so go ahead and plan your purchase accordingly.

IMO Hyundai always offers lesser price of used car when going for exchange. Even I had a Santro which I sold to my office colleague. Dont know the logic but I would suggest try selling the Santro directly without involving the dealer.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:46   #108
Team-BHP Support

What if I buy the Car in December and get it registered in January?
(It is possible in my part of the world)
Old 29th November 2010, 14:17   #109
Senior - BHPian

November is almost over mate, just wait for a week or two or plan with the dealer to get your vehicle in Jan 2011. Since you already have the doubt as a concern, I suggest you buy the vehicle with complete peace of mind, which you can afford in your case. If you are concerned only about the REGISTRATION.

BTW, since you asked the doubt, I am assuming you have done some research. If you want a Jan 2011 MANUFACTURED car it would take some time for you.

If I were you I will buy the vehicle when I like and sell it when it would be optimum as per the given conditions. All the best!
Old 29th November 2010, 16:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Its really simple, if the car company is giving year end discount, buy in Dec. Otherwise wait till Jan.

Please note that car production is stopped for 2 weeks in the year end because of yearly maintenance of production plants.

So you will probably have to wait until Jan last week to get hold of a 2011 manufactured car.

Even in Jan, dealers would try to push their 2010 stock before selling 2011 stock. Some dealers would try to lure you with lucrative discount offers, whereas some unscrupulous dealers would even go to the extent of selling you a 2010 car even after promising a 2011 car.

There is little that can be done once the vehicle is registered. Hence, if you are buying a 2011 model in Jan, please be extra careful and insist on inspection and note down the engine/chassis number before booking the car.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 29th November 2010 at 16:33.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

^^ sorry for the OT, but isnt the year end prudction off at the financial year but not at the calendar year end? Or would it be different for different companies?
Old 29th November 2010, 18:36   #112
BHPian

Thankee all for your responses! So, if i hear you all correctly, I do not really need to worry about the year/month of purchase unless I am in a hurry to resell the car (which at this point is definitely not the case). And yes, the waiting period, due to my reservations, has my mind going in all sorts of direction with the choice of car. The sooner i book one, the better, i guess. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
You are gettin exchange value by Hyundai or some other place?
The exchange value is by Advaith Hyundai. Maruti TrueValue guys had also quoted the same value when i had gone enquiring about the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Dude manz, you buy a car when you need a car. Everything else is buckwaas!

Also as Vibhanshu mentioned, you can probably worm out a better discount from your dealer for a December buy. So go for it!
Err...I'll make that dudette

And the point on baaki sab 'bakwaas' well taken. I checked with the Hyundai dealers (Advaith and Trident) and have been told that they will have visibility to year end offers only in the first week of December. I will wait till end of the week before deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
IMO Hyundai always offers lesser price of used car when going for exchange. Even I had a Santro which I sold to my office colleague. Dont know the logic but I would suggest try selling the Santro directly without involving the dealer.
This is something i haven't looked into yet. Thankee! Will see if i can manege something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What if I buy the Car in December and get it registered in January?
(It is possible in my part of the world)
Ignoring the oh-so-subtle-sarcasm, just wanted to check if one should wait till Jan only for registration or a lil longer for a 2011 model as well. Maybe didn't capture that completely in my text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Its really simple, if the car company is giving year end discount, buy in Dec. Otherwise wait till Jan.
Am waiting till the weekend as the dealers have promised to get back to me with offers, if any, for December.
Old 29th November 2010, 22:33   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL I find this thread quite ironic considering people on the Vento thread have been dreaming about their car since August and some (self included) will not see it till next year anyway!
Old 30th November 2010, 13:33   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
LOL I find this thread quite ironic considering people on the Vento thread have been dreaming about their car since August and some (self included) will not see it till next year anyway!
We actually got a call from the dealer thanking us for booking the car (Vento TDi Highline), and informing us that we can expect the delivery in the 1st ten days of Dec. ( she repeated German engineering, twice in the conversation and it drove us crazy)

Hmm, dilemma now, take the delivery OR whether to wait till New Year. Gotta say, it's hard to resist.

Last edited by imjimmy : 30th November 2010 at 13:35.
Old 30th November 2010, 14:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
We actually got a call from the dealer thanking us for booking the car (Vento TDi Highline), and informing us that we can expect the delivery in the 1st ten days of Dec. ( she repeated German engineering, twice in the conversation and it drove us crazy)

Hmm, dilemma now, take the delivery OR whether to wait till New Year. Gotta say, it's hard to resist.
I dont think this should be an issue since the vehicle to be delivered would be a 2010 manufactured. Would taking a delivery in new year guarentee you a 2011 manufactured car. I don't think so.

No matter when you register the car, the manufacture date of the vehicle plays an imp role during resale. So go ahead with a peace of mind and take the delivery. Just imagine the amount of fun you will miss now if you postpone the delivery.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:08   #116
BHPian

What happens when a car on temporary registration crashes? Are there difficulties to claiming insurance?
Old 1st December 2010, 01:15   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I dont think this should be an issue since the vehicle to be delivered would be a 2010 manufactured. Would taking a delivery in new year guarentee you a 2011 manufactured car. I don't think so.

No matter when you register the car, the manufacture date of the vehicle plays an imp role during resale. So go ahead with a peace of mind and take the delivery. Just imagine the amount of fun you will miss now if you postpone the delivery.
Thanks very much. We will be taking the delivery in Dec itself.

BTW, we were thinking along the lines of not selling this car at all. So perhaps the resale value is not that vital. In the US, I've seen the old gen TDI's in Jetta's go up to as many as 500,000 Miles So hoping that if the car is well taken care off, it will last for a long long time.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
What happens when a car on temporary registration crashes? Are there difficulties to claiming insurance?
When the car goes in for the registration, Insurance document is a must. Hence by default the Insurance can be claimed IMO. You need to cross verify with the Insurer whether they have a waiting period for the policy to come into force.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:59   #119
BHPian

Re: Is there any advantage in waiting for New Year to buy a car ?

I was checking with the dealer today if i can take the delivery this month but hold off the permanent registration till next month. He mentioned that I would need a NOC from the bank (where i have applied for a loan) and it is apparently difficult to get the same (stringent RTO rules in Karnataka...blah...blah!)

Is it true?
Old 13th December 2010, 22:55   #120
BHPian

Re: Is there any advantage in waiting for New Year to buy a car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manz View Post
I was checking with the dealer today if i can take the delivery this month but hold off the permanent registration till next month. He mentioned that I would need a NOC from the bank (where i have applied for a loan) and it is apparently difficult to get the same (stringent RTO rules in Karnataka...blah...blah!)

Is it true?
I do not know about the NOC and other stuff, but my friend it is pointless to register the car in 2011, I sold my santro mfg dt: Dec 2004, purchased and registered in Jan 2010, I was the second owner, so the 1st owner in my opinion was very ignorant of this point. I had a real tough time selling it, the reason being I would never call that car a 2004, but everybody else who wanted to buy never agreed with me. It goes to a point where it becomes a .

So in my opinion, go for mfg dt: 2011 car and try retaining as many discounts of this year, may be by paying in advance for the car. If you manage to do it, tell everybody, you will be the first one to do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks