Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:45   #46
BHPian

Dec 2009 vs Jan 2010 - Ritz VDI

I have planned to purchase and confused if I can purchase it in December or Jan 2010. If it is December there seems to be a lot of discounts, but in future in case of resale , the value drops considerably between 2009 and 2010. How much will be the average price drop if I sell it in 5 years from now.
When do you suggest is the right time to purchase it , of the 2 months.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2009 at 17:26. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
I have planned to purchase and confused if I can purchase it in December or Jan 2010. If it is December there seems to be a lot of discounts, but in future in case of resale , the value drops considerably between 2009 and 2010. How much will be the average price drop if I sell it in 5 years from now.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, you can drive for a month with temporary registration and the register it in Jan. Looking at the offers and a possible price hike post Jan, I think it would be wise to book a car before end of this year. This is exactly what I am planning to do.
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Even if you buy in Jan 2010, there's a high possibility that you will get a car manufactured in 2009. So when you book your car you should ask specifically that you need a 2010 manufactured model.

Also running a temp. registration car for a month has its own complications,i would advice you against doing that. Because even if registration is on January'10 your car is effectively a '09 model. If you plan to keep your car for 5 years not sure how much the resale will be as there are lot of new cars awaiting launch (Figo,Beat etc).

Last edited by harishnair : 3rd November 2009 at 16:08.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Even if you buy in Jan 2010, there's a high possibility that you will get a car manufactured in 2009. So when you book your car you should ask specifically that you need a 2010 manufactured model.

Also running a temp. registration car for a month has its own complications,i would advice you against doing that. Because even if registration is on January'10 your car is effectively a '09 model. If you plan to keep your car for 5 years not sure how much the resale will be as there are lot of new cars awaiting launch (Figo,Beat etc).
Thanks for your input.The main reason im planning to book by the end of this year is because of the discount offers. Also, I dont think anyone is curious about VIN when buying used cars. all that matters is the registration date. I am planning to exchange Santro 2007 Dec model and the only thing that the buyer cares is the date of registration. It didnt really matter if it was a 2007 model car. Had I got a 2006 make, it still wouldnt have made the difference. This is from my personal experience though.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:38   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

if you are looking to leverage re-sale value of the car- then you need to try and ensure you get a car manufactured in 2010 when you buy it. chances are that upto around march 2010 you will most probably get a car manufactured in 2009 only.

buying around the year end could mean some discounts - worth pre-seeding this with the dealers whom you are considering.

further - if you are self employed, buying in March means you can claim a full year's depreciation and set it off against your tax liabilities. - this is a very good plus point really.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but just asking specifically for a 2010 model would be sufficient to ensure a 2010 model or will you have insist on getting this in writing to ensure this.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:16   #52
BHPian

Registration not manufacturing date makes the difference

In my experience of selling our cars in the family which were bought brand new; it is the year of registration of the vehicle and not year of manufacture of the vehicle that has a telling impact on the resale value of the car.

Buy the car in December last week and register it in January first week is my advice to year end buyers. At least thats what I intend doing with the new Cruze that I booked. I have been assured delivery in the last week of December.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Thanks for your input.The main reason im planning to book by the end of this year is because of the discount offers. Also, I dont think anyone is curious about VIN when buying used cars. all that matters is the registration date. I am planning to exchange Santro 2007 Dec model and the only thing that the buyer cares is the date of registration. It didnt really matter if it was a 2007 model car. Had I got a 2006 make, it still wouldnt have made the difference. This is from my personal experience though.
A typical private car buyer might ask you which year it was manufactured and as a car delivered in December '09 will most probably be a November manufacture this could prove to be a disadvantage.

If you feel that you are getting a good discount and sufficient trade-in value for your santro then I suggest you go ahead with the deal because the more you wait the less you get for your santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but just asking specifically for a 2010 model would be sufficient to ensure a 2010 model or will you have insist on getting this in writing to ensure this.
In such a situation you could ask the dealer to give it in writing when you pay the booking amount.But as mentioned earlier it is really difficult to get a 2010 manufactured car atleast until mid february. Also you could ask for the VIN number of the car while on transit so as to ensure that you are getting the '10 model.
Old 9th November 2009, 16:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Manufacturing date is not important. What it matters is the date on the RC book !
Mithun, I tend to disagree with this. The first thing any used car dealer will do is, open the bonnet and figure out (decode the VIN, in some cases) the manufacturing date. BTW, RC book has an entry for the model-year which indicates the month of manufacturing as well.

If the year end discounts will compensate for the difference in resale value, why wait for the new year? But there are cars (Honda!) that have no discounts even in the year end period .

There are also cases where you wouldn't get a 2010 (or any new year) model before it is March-April. For slow moving cars, where more cars are produced than sold, no use of waiting for the new year. Hold on, does it really matter? Resale in any case will be low for such cars :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Rishab, if you use the TBHP PDI check list and check out the car before registration (which you can always do with any dealer), you should be able to verify the manufacturing date. If it is of 2009, request the dealer for 2010 model. Of course, you should also be ready to wait for the "new year" model.

Last edited by AnonymousCoward : 9th November 2009 at 17:03.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
if you are looking to leverage re-sale value of the car- then you need to try and ensure you get a car manufactured in 2010 when you buy it. chances are that upto around march 2010 you will most probably get a car manufactured in 2009 only.
True, confirmed this with maruti dealer (sagar). 2010 manufactured is available only from march. Even if you get your car registered in january, it will be made in 2009 only
Old 13th November 2009, 23:59   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
Mithun, I tend to disagree with this. The first thing any used car dealer will do is, open the bonnet and figure out (decode the VIN, in some cases) the manufacturing date. BTW, RC book has an entry for the model-year which indicates the month of manufacturing as well.

The normal Dick & Harry don't know what is VIN itself !

FYI, In 98% of the used cars sales; what it matters is the date on the RC and not the manufacturing date.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:15   #57
BHPian

Is it advisable to buy car in December ?

I am planning to buy Maruti Ritz. But i am a bit confused whether to book the car in December or wait till Jan mid or Feb beginning for the booking.

The main concern is that if I book the car now I may be delivered with a car which is manufatured in 2009 irrespective of the date of delivery, whereas if I want to have car manufactured in 2010 I will have to wait till Jan mid or Feb beginning for booking the same.

Just wanted to know what could be the possible pros and cons of buying a car in December month.

As far as i know the folowing are the points

Pros:-
Discounts during this period

Cons:-
1) Resale value dips
2) Insurance companies regards the car to be 1 year old even if you regiser the car on January (they give the logic that insurance companies regrard the age of the car as calculated from the date of manufacture irrespective of the date of registration of the car).

Please let me know if my uderstanding is correct and if i have missed on any points.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Best thing to do it,book the car and do a temperory registration and make the final registration in Jan/10. Since the car value is seen from the registration date. you will not lose on resale/ but you will get lots of discount in this month. Just now one of the maruthi dealers had called up and told that they were giving 50K cash discount on the new SX4. So go for the kill IMO
Old 1st December 2009, 20:26   #59
BHPian

Buying a car in december or not matters how long do you want to keep the car. If you are looking at holding this for long 5+ years, go ahead and get those discounts. Because, there is absolutely nothing different in cars manufactured in december or Januaray. If you are concerned about the resale value, even then buying in december with good discounts might balance that. So make your choice.

I'm not sure if the registration date matters, coz you get the month and year of manufacturing in your registration book and this is what counts from my perspective. Am I right?
Old 1st December 2009, 20:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about W.B, but my RC book has a month of manufacture as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Buying a car in december or not matters how long do you want to keep the car. If you are looking at holding this for long 5+ years, go ahead and get those discounts.
This is spot on. If you plan to keep the car for 5 years, take the Dec offer and run with it. The same offers will be withdrawn in Jan and there is also talk of a price increase in Jan. Toyota has already announced one.

Most Viewed