Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 11:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
I agree with you that these sort of images do send the wrong message in terms of "it's cool to ride a motorcycle without a helmet" however in India our understanding of road safety was very different earlier.

That motorcycle that Shahrukh khan is riding in the photo that you've posted was owned by me - it was way back in 92 or 93 if I remember correctly. "No helmet" was considered normal back then. A helmet for rider and pillion was compulsory only for armed forces personnel and civilians who wanted to visit someone (or they had to leave the motorcycle outside).

Even today, in most of the non metropolitan cities that I visit, the usage of helmets is not very common.

Perhaps more awareness is needed
Oh what a coincidence! is it your bike? really?
you are correct, back then the rule was not there. My photos are only for representational purpose, not to harm or point out any particular character/actor
But, the situation is still same today. And again I am telling my point, its not about rule. Its about giving wrong message. Even if rule is not there, there is no two way about it that helmet saves life, so why don't they promote it? That's all. Aam-Janta may not know about it, but celebrities travel round the world, they have seen safety practices in the outside country, they can bring those safety practices in our country as a message. Isn't it? This does not require any authorization & rule I guess.
Old 10th November 2017, 17:11   #32
BHPian

Every role in a movie has a character to play and actor/actress plays it to look a part.

Amir Khan wearing a helmet in Dangal looked the part.

Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?-a1.jpg

Imagine Jay and Viru wearing an helmet in this epic song.

Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?-a2.jpg

So expecting movies to help with such a message is bit far fetched. After all it is an entertainment business.

As GTO mentioned, awareness ads can be shown before and during intervals in public interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IIRC, more people die on Indian roads than from cancer. That's why, what the government should do is show mandatory 'road safety' ads (like they currently do for tobacco).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th July 2018 at 23:11. Reason: Fixing typo: a = the
yogesh.8984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 17:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

If Indian Cinema has played an important role in any of the below in last 70+ years...
- Female infanticide
- Fighting corruption in public life
- Legal system
- Quality education
- Women empowerment
- Eradicate poverty
- Improved health care
- Bringing down Nation's debt
- Regulation on foreign currencies
- High inflation rates
- Importance of agriculture
- Disaster management

Yes, Indian cinema has certainly played an important role & their goal is not to make money, but a social service!!

Last edited by aargee : 10th November 2017 at 17:38.
Old 10th November 2017, 20:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this is a coincidence, just stumbled upon this video today; a great lesson to folks who believe movies can change the world, esp India!!

aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:16   #35
Team-BHP Support

Gul Panag has just shared a Live story on Instagram where she's riding pillion on a bike (I believe a Triumph) without wearing a helmet (the rider is).

Tad bit disappointing that Gul, who otherwise is very conscious and responsible in her online presence, thought it prudent to share this.

Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?-img_2906.png

Then, there's the Nawabs. The only other people I've seen do this (seat belt behind the body) is cab drivers.

Why wouldn't one want to wear seat belts!

Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?-1.jpg

The examples could go on.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 13:28   #36
BHPian

This is an excerpt from movie Baby. We can see passengers wearing seatbelt. Would have been a good thing if the driver too was shown wearing a seatbelt. These small things,if highlighted should go in a long way promoting road sagety IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Can Indian Cinema play an important role in promoting road safety?-screenshot_20171218132457.png  

Old 18th December 2017, 17:01   #37
BHPian

My response in simple words;

1. The industry, as such, has the highest potential to promote road safety or any other form of legitimate manners.

2. Willingness to implement such promotion is a matter of big concern. Considering that the lead characters are portrayed with inhuman capabilities and ethereal powers, they are expected to do everything unnaturally. Unnatural things thrill the audience and bring them to the cinema halls and generate revenue to film makers.

3. Given that some even try to imitate them in their routine commutes. Portraying the lead character as a sane individual on roads means there is nothing special about him/ her, thereby risking their popularity amongst audience.

5. With audience demand being prime aspect for this Industry, this insanity is going to continue until the audience mature enough and reject illogical actions from their favorite Actors/ Actresses.
Old 18th December 2017, 23:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

There were, are and will always be, stupid people.

A movie is there for you to get entertained. You forget your problems, go into that fictional world, believe that a Sub-Inspector is more powerful than Superman, jumping off cars and dodging bullets. Movie ends, you come out, sit in your car, put your seatbelt on and drive off.

If one thinks he is as powerful as the Sub-Inspector and that helmet / seat belt is only a burden and won't make him look cool, he needs to be educated.

Now, is a movie the best way to go about it? Maybe, not.

Road safety education can be at school level, college level.

If the motive of the thread was to suggest that Bollywood should take note on on how it shows road safety or the lack of it, I am with the OP.

If the hero never forgets to take his helmet or always remembers to put his seat belt on, excellent. This, in a way, is a passive message that can be passed on the viewers.

Maybe the CBFC aka Censor Board can refrain any actor from riding without a helmet or driving without a seatbelt and add it to the list of 100 things to do get certified.

But, what about the next scene?

When that same actor takes off his seatbelt and walks off the moving car, firing bullets, with precision.

What do we do, then?
ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 22:23   #39
Team-BHP Support

wow, check this out. 4 minutes 30 seconds Bollywood song has atleast one minute footage of violations and risky behavior

SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks