Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 13:33   #46
BHPian

Re: October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
1) Surprised to see Mahindra’s top earner has turned out to be Bolero. It’s clear XUV is not gaining traction against the legend Innova despite having price advantage.
Bolero has always been the top seller for Mahindra. And XUV is/was not a direct competitor to the Innova anyways. Apart from the private user, Innova has a large taxi base. For XUV, it is the private users and self drive companies. The Innova competitor from Mahindra is the Xylo.

Quote:
2) Honda is no where to be seen even though Brio is gaining on MOM sales. Does this mean their products aren’t really gathering much buyers? Even though they’re renowned for quality, are they falling off the radar because somewhere they’re lacking the X factor their respective competitors are delivering?
If something is working against Honda, it's their own strategy. It was their decision to distance themselves (on pricing) from the competition with the new City. It was their decision to display obvious cost cutting cues on their lower end cars. Like Toyota, people don't seem to accept cost cutting measures from some manufacturers (at any price point).

Quote:
3) I’m hoping Tata to come up in the charts in the months to come with Tiago currently gathering the focus of customers. Hope Hexa & Nexon to appear on charts.
I think "word of mouth" publicity is what is working for Tata and rightly so. Whoever has a Tiago is mostly happy with it and the new look (the first one to look different from the original Indica) is attracting interest. I think this should be the way forward for Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
And coming to the new xuv500 that has been recently parked in my garage, good to see its maintaining its decent numbers. The competition has increased but its fan following has been propelling it along,but for how long can it sustain?. All it needs now is an all new generation without compromising on its strengths since its the oldest model in its segment.
Again, the right move at the right time at the right price helped Mahindra. Initial batches of XUV's had issues and I bought the first refreshed version in 2014. I had set my expectations very low while buying the car and in every respect, the product has exceeded my expectation. I would recommend it to anyone now and it has set the bar much higher in my mind for Mahindra as a manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Plus, anyone following international trends would have known SUVs / Crossovers will gain in popularity here as well.
The Mahindra XUV500 was one such brilliant move. Superb volumes, fat profit margins & stuffed bank accounts. Or just look at the Creta today.
Bingo! And the only thing which is working against the S-Cross, eventhough it is a well rounded product, is its cross-over looks. If its looks were similar to Creta/Brezza/Ecosport, it would have had a much better run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata's biggest blunder was spending all that R&D into the Aria and making it a 'van'. If instead, it was styled as an SUV & better priced, the car's fortunes would've been different. They underestimated the power of the Innova in the pricey MPV space.
Totally agreed. They did the mistake of going head to head with the Innova using Aria and Mahindra created a market for itself using the XUV.

Last edited by A350XWB : 10th November 2017 at 13:36.
A350XWB is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 13:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
...Totally agreed. They did the mistake of going head to head with the Innova using Aria and Mahindra created a market for itself using the XUV.
I'd blame Tata's Marketing team to come up with a weird name like Aria, the name seems like a disaster to start with. If you owned one, imagine yourself thinking of telling your friend "I came in my Aria". It likely leaves you wondering how to pronounce it. Would people think I am saying "Arya"? Or should I pronounce it like "Area"? These are the thoughts likely in people's minds amongst other things, I feel, when the Aria was introduced.

The name is very important esp for an aspirational product.

And the Tucson's poor sales could also be a bit due to this: Its actually pronounced "Teu sawn", as people familiar with the city by that name in Arizona state in the US would know. But people in India likely get turned off when they see a name thats not pronounced phonetically. So perhaps Hyundai should have renamed the product for sale in India.

Last edited by vharihar : 10th November 2017 at 13:51.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 15:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I'd blame Tata's Marketing team to come up with a weird name like Aria, the name seems like a disaster to start with. If you owned one, imagine yourself thinking of telling your friend "I came in my Aria". It likely leaves you wondering how to pronounce it. Would people think I am saying "Arya"? Or should I pronounce it like "Area"? These are the thoughts likely in people's minds amongst other things, I feel, when the Aria was introduced.

The name is very important esp for an aspirational product.
I suppose you are not aware of the myriad jokes being made on Creta when it was announced? That didn't work against it, did it? Same goes for Laura as well, although it wasn't a super hit like Creta. People hardly care what the name is and I haven't seen many who pronounce Volkswagen correctly. My neighbor had an anecdote to share: somebody he knew, didn't know how to pronounce XUV five double 'o' (after he bought it), so he was telling people that he bought the latest version of Scorpio
prakash_ajp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 17:52   #49
BHPian

Dear Mods... would like to bring the attention to the placement of the innova crysta in the utility segment. I somehow dont agree with this.

Most buyers dont compare the innova crysta with the peer group as referred in the utility segment.

I think the comparison is better made with XUV and Hexa. Upper variants will compared with the compass.

While XUV and Hexa have been slotted in D1, innova has not.

I think this need rectification

Thanks

Last edited by acidkill : 10th November 2017 at 17:59.
acidkill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 20:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Dear Mods... would like to bring the attention to the placement of the innova crysta in the utility segment. I somehow dont agree with this.
Thanks
I believe this could be due to the fact that Innova does not have a 4WD or AWD combination where as the other two have it.
Old 10th November 2017, 21:58   #51
BHPian

Not understanding Nissan's strategy for India. Even if all it's Japanese counterparts are doing pretty well (Suzuki, Toyota and Honda and please forget about Mitsubishi, they seem to not at all be interested) they haven't been able to produce an attractive product for the Indian market. Maybe it is because Renault is performing decently and if any one does good its enough for them. This has been the scenario for a while now with Nissan.
Old 10th November 2017, 22:50   #52
BHPian

Revenue Calculation have been done for this month and have been posted here.

Top-25 Cars based on Revenue:

October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25-cars-revenue-oct-17.png

OEM Market Share - in terms of Revenue:

Name:  OEM Market Share  Oct 17.png
Views: 6368
Size:  26.1 KB
jpcoolguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 13:16   #53
BHPian

Jeep and FIAT numbers can be clubbed in my opinion, like Abarth was clubbed with FIAT.

As a FIAT car owner, there is a apprehension in the back of my head whether FIAT will pull the plug in India like GM due to poor sales. However this is eased a bit with the sales of Jeep.
SKavuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 19:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv444 View Post

2) Why is Tata Hexa lagging in sales by such a huge margin to both the XUV and the Innova? Is it only because of the Tata badge or also because it is heavier than both its rivals so maybe has a significantly lower fuel efficiency (owners correct me if I am wrong here) or maybe Hexa is more cumbersome to drive in city than XUV and Innova (again correct me if I am wrong here) ?
Because apart from that, the Hexa hardly does anything wrong
I think it is because of 2 reasons.
1) people are apprehensive about buying a version 1 Tata car. Most of the V1 Tata cars are notorious for niggles and issues. Once they start selling constant numbers and there are sufficient owner base to spread good word of mouth, then you will see more buyers.

2) 20 lacs for a Tata car? Are you maaad? - My friends' reaction when I told them about considering Hexa
Old 13th November 2017, 13:08   #55
BHPian

Only 57 Nanos sold! It's clear 'cheap' car image is not doing well. Datsun name is gaining similar aversion now.

The trick seems to 'look premium for less money' in the minds of buyers, rather than look outright cheap.

Tata can stop nano completely & work on the next version (Pixel concept) as an electric car.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:20   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
If something is working against Honda, it's their own strategy. It was their decision to distance themselves (on pricing) from the competition with the new City. It was their decision to display obvious cost cutting cues on their lower end cars. Like Toyota, people don't seem to accept cost cutting measures from some manufacturers (at any price point).
Not just lower end cars even their This Generation Pre-Facelift has obvious cost cutting which is disgusting.
Old 15th November 2017, 14:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
Not understanding Nissan's strategy for India. Even if all it's Japanese counterparts are doing pretty well (Suzuki, Toyota and Honda and please forget about Mitsubishi, they seem to not at all be interested) they haven't been able to produce an attractive product for the Indian market. Maybe it is because Renault is performing decently and if any one does good its enough for them. This has been the scenario for a while now with Nissan.
Wondering about this as well. I guess they're in India only for manufacturing and exporting cars to other markets at a cost advantage. Whatever gets sold here is just a small bonus. We may be slowly losing that advantage slowly (for manufacturing) given the inflation and cost of operations and materials.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:31   #58
BHPian

Wondering how HM and Fiat surviving with such a low numbers? Are we missing any products here?
Duster under 1K mark and same story with Terrano too. High time Renault and Nissan, pls come up with meaningful upgrade.
Glad Nexon is picking-up numbers, great going Tata! But Hexa numbers are disappointing, is it not priced right or something else? Sumo seems outnumbered Storm

Regards
SE
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks