Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 12:28   #1
Team-BHP Support

October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2017 at 12:51.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Few Points :

1. Jeep Compass sells more than all the cars combined from brand Skoda.

2. S-Cross has a good start. Highest ever sales. Let's wait and watch for another 2-3 months.

3. Verna, City and Ciaz sell around 4k units. Gone are the days when C segment sedans used to sell more than 7k per month.

4. Duster and Terrano are struggling.

5. Grand I10 : What a performer from Hyundai. One of the few cars which has increased it's sales over couple of years.

6. Fortuner and Innova Crysta are going strong.

7. Dzire numbers are around 20k units after the huge surprise last month. I believe it would be settled around 20k units from now.

8. Tiago is super hit for Tata, well done

9. VW is surviving only because of Polo. Multiple additions every now and then has helped the sales to settle at around 2k units.

10. I wish the Figo did better. Grand i10 at 14k and Figo at around 1k.. This is surprising for such a nice VFM car.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th November 2017 at 13:24.
Dr.Naren is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:25   #7
BANNED

Ecosport has clearly been slowed down to make way for the facelift. But other models from ford still struggle. Especially the great Figo.

MSIL slowing down the production to "just" 20k for Dzire? Any other reason than the possible festive holidays at the plants? Others seem strong though, but the leaders like Baleno are almost caught up by Grand i10 in the sales numbers probably thanks to the high discounts on offer. and 5.5K for S cross?? Though i really want to know how many of those are TDs and how many customer cars. I've only seen one on the road yet.

Tiago is doing amazingly well, but the Tigor still struggles for some reason, people are happy to spring another lac for the Dzire, is the Tata brand value so low? Hopefully the AMT can improve the sales figures.

A news told that Tiguan is selling so well, that they are sold out for the year, clearly they have less supply than demand, not the other way round. but anyways, still good numbers for a soft roader. But off roaders at this price are selling in one month, equal to its yearly numbers ( Fortuner, I'm looking at you). Kodiaq has also sold pretty good numbers, but seems like beginners luck at this point, we'll see once the early adopters are done buying after waiting for its arrival.

GM has finally stopped the dispatches it seems, no more beats and cruze on offer at big discounts.

Few people bought the Mustang, but no buyers for the Abarth? Even after a 75k discount

Last edited by agambhandari : 8th November 2017 at 13:26.
agambhandari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:36   #8
BHPian

I cant help but notice that Ecosport is down to 400 from 5000 last month!!. This must be nightmare for Ford. I know, new updated version is just around the corner but still this drop is phenomenal. I hope this is just due to production related issues and nothing much.

WRV is now coming down in numbers, I guess the novelty factor is over and there is only so much a sunroof can sell. Had Honda plonked the 1.5 iVtech in WRV, it would have been a different beast altogether.

Verna is still doing quite good which is expected. It's a great product.

For everything Mahindra makes, Bolero still outsells everything by a huge margin. KUV 100 is doing quite healthy numbers at 176% increase in sales.

12000 Celerio sold last month!! and 5500 Scross with the updated facelift!
So much changes with a facelift! Also tells you priorities of Indian consumers. Great product is fine but road presence trumps all.

approx 300 Kodiaq sold last month! great numbers initially but I dont think will sustain. Have eaten into Tiguan numbers which are down to mere 50 last month.

Hexa stabilizing at 1000. Nexon at 3000 and Tiago at 7000 with 2000 for Tigor, its looks great for Tata suddenly. Hopefully Nexon goes from strength to strength.

Last edited by Muski : 8th November 2017 at 13:39.
Muski is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:37   #9
BHPian

1. Tata climbed to no 4 pole position. Really impressed with the "most deserving" Tiago sales. It should sell more.

2. Happy to see S-cross and Verna in top 10. S-cross especially, should swap it's pole position from Brezza.

3. I have a grudge against Celerio (for some unknown reasons). Apologies to the current and perspective owners, but I just hate to see it selling in such huge numbers.

4. There is no end to the desire for Dzire in India

5. Good to see compass sales, not so good feel for Hexa sales volume.

6. Honda sells nearly 4700 units of Brio platform (Brio, Amaza and BRV) and 6000 from the jazz platform (Jazz and WRV).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:38   #10
BHPian

1) It seems to be a month of consolidation after GST and festival season. Overall sales of 2.75 lac units is similar to that of March and April. Sales dipped in May and June due to the anticipated reduction in price due to GST. July to September was a good period due to GST and festival season.

2) However, new models like Jeep Compass, Tata Nexon and Facelift models like S-cross and KUV1oo seem to be improving on the monthly sales.

3) Seems to be bad month for Honda as all its models have registered lower sales than previous month.

4) Ertiga Sales is steadily going down from 7458 units in July to 4769 units in October. Time for next gen?

Last edited by DImPo : 8th November 2017 at 13:40.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski View Post
Have eaten into Tiguan numbers which are down to mere 50 last month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Ertiga Sales is steadily going down from 7458 units in July to 4769 units in October. Time for next gen?
Tiguan has a supply- demand issue. 2017 Tiguan allotment for India is sold out.

Ertiga and Ciaz SHVS sales are impacted due to the GST . The upcoming face-lifts are expected to correct this.

Quote:
70% of the Ciaz’s sales were of its diesel hybrid model last year. Now, this figure has dropped to 32%. As for the Ertiga, 70% of the sales were of the diesel hybrid model in 2017. This year, the figure has lowered to 50%

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2017 at 13:53.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
5.5K for S cross?? Though i really want to know how many of those are TDs and how many customer cars. I've only seen one on the road yet.
There are around 250 Nexa dealers. Suppose they get 1 TD and 1 display car, it's only 500 units. It's clear that more than 5000 cars are for delivery.

I have spotted only 3 cars on road. Look at this Nexa dealer in Hyderabad who has delivered 50 cars in a day.

https://telanganatoday.com/hyderabad...-cars-in-a-day

Quote:
Few people bought the Mustang, but no buyers for the Abarth? Even after a 75k discount
I have read that the production is stopped.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski View Post
I cant help but notice that Ecosport is down to 400 from 5000 last month!!. This must be nightmare for Ford. I know, new updated version is just around the corner but still this drop is phenomenal. I hope this is just due to production related issues and nothing much.
Since these are factory dispatches, it is only natural for a manufacturer to not ship any/massively reduce manufacturing when a facelift is being planned. Similarly, we'll see above average numbers for Nov-Dec for the EcoSport (since launch is 9-Nov).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
6. Honda sells nearly 4700 units of Brio platform (Brio, Amaza and BRV) and 6000 from the jazz platform (Jazz and WRV).
City is the Jazz platform too, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
1) It seems to be a month of consolidation after GST and festival season. Overall sales of 2.75 lac units is similar to that of March and April. Sales dipped in May and June due to the anticipated reduction in price due to GST. July to September was a good period due to GST and festival season.
I'm actually surprised by the downturn; Diwali was mid-Oct so purchasing should've gone through the month. Perhaps the flip flop on GST is still playing a factor?
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:21   #14
BHPian

Verna has sold 15k units approximately since its launch. The introductory prices was for first 20,000 customers and November could very well be the last month to take advantage of introductory prices.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quick observation,
  • Honda car sales have come down drastically.
  • Ford's future for local market depends on the success of Ecosport.
  • Tata Nexon will definitely pull some numbers from WR-V.
  • Tough times for Nissan and Renault.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th November 2017 at 14:53.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed