Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 14:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Every month that I see these figures, one thought strikes me. I would love to meet a Mitsubishi dealer. How on earth do they keep their showroom going and sales staff retained when pan India sales across all dealers cumulatively are under 30 cars! Seriously, why even bother?

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2017 at 19:58. Reason: Please use CAPS wherever necessary
himanshugoswami is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:50   #17
BHPian

A few quick observations

1) First Blip for WRV although this might be the start of consolidation. 3-4K units per month would seem fair number in the long run. The Initial burst was all due to Sunroof. Sad Honda is not able to produce even a single blockbuster outside CITY. They have released 7-8 cars after the first gen CITY and not even a single one could replicate the CITY success. Something to ponder about I feel.

2) For the second month running, Hyundai seems to be running of 100% production capacity . I feel they can tweak production of some cars to ensure Verna maintains the lead over its rivals. With I20 and Creta becoming consistent blockbusters, I feel they can lower the dispatches of I10 in favor of Verna. That is assuming the production line can be easily adapted for that change. Everyone knows I10 sells in this huge numbers because of discounts! The margins also would be definitely higher with Verna.

3) Compass is still in honeymoon. They have not even dispatched 10K units till now. The review pages are already showing some stress/frustration from customers regarding initial niggles. JEEP better watch-out before it gets too late.

4) Dzire seems to be back from honeymoon. But they still are unstoppable!. In a segment of 10 cars, they own 57% share (as opposed to 68% last month). If they maintain that, it just shows how brutal MSIL was with this weapon. Suddenly there are lots of Dzire's on road and they do look drool-worthy.

5) 5500 dispatches with just 250 odd NEXA showrooms show the aggressiveness MSIL is exhibiting with S-Cross. I have already seen couple of them on road. It is now a very important car for MSIL. Not just them, but even for consumers the S-Cross numbers are really important. Only if this succeed, MSIL will be brave to bring cars in segments higher than C2. The 1.6 Fiasco needs to be forgotten.

6) Someone mentioned that India is going to get only 250 Kodiaq this year. There has already been 373 dispatches. With close to 80 dealers and a single version on sale, either the news is wrong or we are going to see a huge fall in numbers for Nov and Dec.

7) Sad to see the Hexa numbers. It was supposed to pickup but it is not so. Too early to call?

8) With Innova and Fortuner being the bread & butter for Toyota, no wonder they are not interested in bringing their other world class products to India. This is the 4th straight month where the dispatches are more than 2K for fortuner. Any other 30L car which has replicated this feat?

9) The news regarding Tiguan is fully true. Someone I know told me that he has started to lose customers just because of unavailability. Not sure why these Germans ALWAYS misinterpret the market reaction and are very slow to correct them

Last edited by Eddy : 8th November 2017 at 15:18. Reason: spacing for better readability
RaghuVis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

Skoda top end is settling quite well – I won’t be surprised if they evolve into a player selling around 1000-2000 units of CKD models combined. Close to 300 units of Kodiaq is not bad for its price.

On the VW side, old warrior Vento seems to be in its last leg; if the downslide continues it will soon be competing with Linea on the least numbers in its segment.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for sharing these information month after month, year after year.

I dug your post from last year 2016 October sales & analysis and below is a comparison of 2017 vs 2016.

October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-comparison20162017.jpg

In this period from Oct 2016 to Oct 2017, the automotive segment has sailed through turbulent waters, frequent policy changes. Despite challenging times, the mighty has grown bigger. Toyota remains undisturbed. TM has reformed dramatically. Some great products such as Compass have found their way into our market and are doing great.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 15:30   #20
BHPian

They say numbers are nothing without a little bit of perspective

1] S Cross sales in the last 2 months were 48 and 385. Now that has definitely played a role in the current number of 5510. If you take a three month average of the numbers it comes down to 1981. The prospective customers have definitely held on for the facelifted model. KUV100 has suddenly sold three times as much in the last month. Similar effect in play. So we have to wait and see how these products fare in the next few months.

2] Ecosport experienced a sudden drop because of imminent arrival of the facelifted model. so we will most likely see a surge in it's numbers in the next couple of months.

3] Hexa and BRV's numbers may appear low but at least the numbers are stabilized which means they have at least established themselves to certain extent.

4] Mahindra have their reliable soldiers in Bolero, Scorpio and XUV but now they have the TUV300 doing respectable numbers for what is nearly a 12 lakh rupee car for top end variant. Refreshed Scorpio and XUV will definitely help Mahindra to keep the momentum with these two products.

5] There is a clear slide in WRV's numbers which are still good but Nexon and Ecosport will pose a serious threat at that. No matter if the earth turns upside down Brezza will still do above 10k numbers.

6] Maruti continues to grow at a faster rate than the rest of the industry. Maruti has a market share of 48.9%. Dzire continues to be the highest selling model in India.

7] If Tata improve their quality control and sales and service experience for customers they will grow really well. Tiago and Nexon will the two products which will drive them. Nexon has a waiting period of 8 weeks and has sold 3099 units. They need to increase their production because with the number of choices a customer has, he may end up in a Maruti/Ford/Honda showroom.

8] Fortuner continues to be a stonking success with it consistently selling over 2k units. These numbers in that segment are simply astounding.

9] I hope Compass continues to do well because it is simply a fanatastic product at a great price however everything will depend upon the service experience of the customers.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 8th November 2017 at 15:50.
needforspeed88 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 16:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
1] S Cross sales in the last 2 months were 48 and 385. Now that has definitely played a role in the current number of 5510. If you take a three month average of the numbers it comes down to 1981.
Very good observation and logic . I almost thought Maruti has created a Winner out of the facelift. They still might have - we need to wait and see the November 2017 sales charts if the same numbers are retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Sad Honda is not able to produce even a single blockbuster outside CITY. They have released 7-8 cars after the first gen CITY and not even a single one could replicate the CITY success. Something to ponder about I feel.
The Amaze sold well in its prime and averaged 6000+ units consistently for more than a year I think. Honda then created cars with various shapes having the same engine and hence the numbers are all distributed now.

Other than these, Tata seems to be on the right track with Tiago, Tigor and Nexon doing decent business. I still wish they created proper 4 cylinder engines and killed their aging products like Zest/Bolt.

As for the good sales of Grand i10 - this always surprises me. I did a very detailed comparison of the i10 and Ignis and went for the Ignis.

To me Ignis appeared superior as it offered Dual Airbags with ABS and EBD across the range, 15 inch wheels, 180 mm GC etc. The i10 only offers ABS with no EBD and that too only in the top spec variant.

Further the diesel variant of i10 is a 3 cylinder engine while the Ignis offers a 4 cylinder FIAT Engine. Technically to me the i10 appears to be a inferior product to Ignis on paper but then looks like people like the nicer interiors offered by i10 and the Touchscreen system rather than airbags and EBD of the Ignis or the 4 cylinder Diesel engine
Or maybe those who consider Ignis eventually end up buying either a Baleno or Swift...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th November 2017 at 16:27.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 16:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Technically to me the i10 appears to be a inferior product to Ignis on paper but then looks like people like the nicer interiors offered by i10 and the Touchscreen system rather than airbags and EBD of the Ignis or the 4 cylinder Diesel engine
Or maybe those who consider Ignis eventually end up buying either a Baleno or Swift...
Looks does matter , and then practicality and then technical specifications. VW Ameo Diesel is far superior technically than Dzire but then . Looks and practicality are not to be compromised. I guess, if Ignis had not been funky but a plain neutral design it could have been another block buster.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Looks like reintroducing the S-Cross is working out a bit well for Maruti. Our people do love a little too much of Chrome on their Cars. Maybe if this works out well they won't delay launching the petrol and Automatic variants anymore. But I was still hoping that they'd bring a new engine combo for the S-cross, but it's Maruti...
glikithvinayaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:08   #24
BHPian

With Jeep being successful and Renegade in the pipeline, what is the need for Fiat cars? What are they, 200 in sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Looks does matter , and then practicality and then technical specifications. VW Ameo Diesel is far superior technically than Dzire but then . Looks and practicality are not to be compromised. I guess, if Ignis had not been funky but a plain neutral design it could have been another block buster.
You should also add Brand somewhere in your equation.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:17   #25
BHPian

Creta doing double of Verna is just maddening. I'm a proud Creta owner but Verna is so much more VFM with the same engine and gearbox. Even if Captur does bad, it will still make a decent number from Renault standards due to CUV fad.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

A news told that Tiguan is selling so well, that they are sold out for the year, clearly they have less supply than demand, not the other way round. but anyways, still good numbers for a soft roader. But off roaders at this price are selling in one month, equal to its yearly numbers ( Fortuner, I'm looking at you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tiguan has a supply- demand issue. 2017 Tiguan allotment for India is sold out.
They say it's been sold out - 800 units. The sales report here shows 688 units. Maybe the remaining sales happened in Nov. They might be happy to say it's a success and share the news it's sold out and create an impression that they cant meet the demand. Anyhow, here's the news:
http://www.cartoq.com/volkswagen-tig...-out-in-india/
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Can we also have ranking according to Revenue and overall-margin of manufacturers? Number alone doesn't provide the complete business sense.

I also have certain observations (excuse me if I repeat any, posted already by fellow bhpians)

1. Hyundai is steadily increasing its market share; 16.24% in Aug, 16.40% in Sept and whopping 17.98% in Oct which is more than 10% jump over Aug'17 figure. But I fear this may not continue for long, as Maruti is expected to launch potential block-busters like new Swift, Petrol Brezza and may ramp up production of other cars post festival holidays!

The major fight is expected between the home grown manufacturers; M&M and Tata Motors. Tiago and Nexon may do wonders for Tata while we don't see any big number cruncher from the stable of M&M in a sustainable way. Hexa may not need a mention now as it has stabilized near 1k mark. XUV 500 with more powerful engine, in my opinion would not do much wonder in presence of Compass.

Magic of Japanese manufacturers is fading away, and rightly so. They really don't offer much.

I have real concern for German/European car makers, they have taken much time to understand the pulse of Indian mindset even after possessing excellent products.

And last but not least, Jeep is inching forward steadily, 0.70% in Aug to 0.89% in Oct, a huge jump of more than 27% compared to Aug'17 figure. Happy to see that we Indian rightly respect a good product.

Thanks

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th November 2017 at 19:33. Reason: Grammar
kbishwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 21:45   #28
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the monthly sales figures for the month of October.

After a high of last month (Sep) and the preceding 2 months, this month rather seems subdued for the OEMs.

1. Dzire has come back to 20K levels, but still able to beat Alto to the top position.

2. Verna once again able to beat the rivals, City and Ciaz by close margin and manages to keep the top position.

3. S-Cross started off well and lets see whether can de-throne Creta (like how Verna was able to close the gap with Ciaz).

4. Compass is going from strength to strength with each passing month and with the launch of the automatics should be able to sell even more.

5. Bolero is still able to sell more than 8K units and saving the face for Mahindra.

6. Tigor seems another failure for Tata - older sibling Zest is almost selling more or less the same as Tigor.

7. Looks like a 4-way battle, between Amaze, Tigor, Zest and Aspire, for the 3rd position in the Compact Sedan space.

8. Grand i10 is consistently selling close to Swift and sometimes more, in the recent months.

9. Ignis seems to be a failure by Maruti's standards and not able to replicate the initial success of Ritz.

10. Not much action in the A segment hatchbacks, only Eon has posted its best month of the year.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 22:29   #29
BHPian

A look at the Top 25 cars for the month of October, over the years (2010 - 2017).

October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oct-car-sales-historic-trend.png

October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oct-car-sales-historic-trend-1.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 23:21   #30
BHPian

Hyundai Verna definitely cannibalized the sales of Ciaz and City to a good extend. Need to wait and watch on the long term. I guess all these three will go neck to neck in the upcoming months and settle around 4k mark. Thinks might get interesting when Maruti introduce the rumored 1.5L diesel mill in the Ciaz.

For TATA, Tiago is doing great. Nexon not getting the numbers as expected. May be the sales will increase slowly like Tiago. Hoping for the best. Need to wait and see how things are going to be in the next few months as the Ford Ecosport facelift is coming up soon. Bad to see a capable vehicle like Tata Hexa is not selling more than 2000 units a month.

Almost all the Honda cars struggled in this month. They need to go back to their basics and increase build quality. Learn the lesson from Hyundai. They are sticking to their basics and building good car without any blaring cost cuttings.

Toyota will be happy as long they are getting that huge chunk of money from Crysta and the Fortuner. I am sure that their cash registry is ringing high with these sales numbers. Rs 30L Fortuner is selling more than what the entire Skoda is able to sell.
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks