Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2017, 11:47   #31
BANNED

Re: October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

These are the cars that are having respectable numbers if we consider the average sales. I'll say, these are "hit" cars, and others are "miss". The trend is more or less the same in the previous months, except some cars. If the respective manufacturers clean up their stable, it will provide ample space in their factory and "minds" to launch new products.

RediGo

Aspire
Ecosport
Endeavour
Figo

Amaze
BRV
City
Jazz
WRV

Creta
i20
Eon
i10
Verna
Xcent

Compass

Bolero
KUV
Scorpio
TUV
XUV

Alto
Baleno
Celerio
Ciaz
DZire
Eeco
Ertiga
Gypsy
Ignis
Omni
SCross
Swift
Brezza
WagonR

Duster
Kwid

Rapid

Hexa
Nexon
Tiago
Tigor
Zest

Etios
Fortuner
Innova
Liva

Ameo
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I did a very detailed comparison of the i10 and Ignis and went for the Ignis.
That way, u can enjoy the exclusiveness!

I guess instead of Celerio, Maruti should try the "SUV"ization of Ignis with a 4WD, sunroof, body cladding, raised stance, 1L Turbo Boosterjet and 90BHP DDiS engines.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th November 2017 at 12:14.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
As for the good sales of Grand i10 - this always surprises me. I did a very detailed comparison of the i10 and Ignis

To me Ignis appeared superior as it offered Dual Airbags with ABS and EBD across the range, 15 inch wheels, 180 mm GC etc. The i10 only offers ABS with no EBD and that too only in the top spec variant.
I guess most of the grand i10 sales happen for the Petrol variants, which is a proper 4 cyl engine. I've hardly seen diesel ones. Interior plastics of grand i10 are way above Ignis too, and Ignis looks are subjective. Ultimately it's a decision of the heart as well as the head
PearlJam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 13:14   #33
BHPian

I am amazed by the combined growth of D1 and D2 segments in Indian car market. A year ago, D1+D2 total sale was hovering around 6000-6500 cars per month.
Now, lets look at last three months this year and this segment is consistently crossing 10k cars a month, that's an growth rate of 60-70% in a year. This is of course primarily led by SUVs - Fortuner, Compass & XUV.

The message is clear to manufacturer - provide a premium vehicle suitable for Indian road conditions, it sells.
Its a sign of growing economy and increasing affordability.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 13:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Post festive season settlement for almost all manufacturers.

- Dzire coming out of 2 months of consecutive sprint
- Hexa is getting stabilized
- Verna looks confident provided HMIL does not revisit the pricing at this point and may way for Ciaz to secure the pole position once again. Let there be 100K Vernas on the road ASAP.

Year end discounts will start pouring in shortly and those who have missed the festive season purchase can go ahead and make the investment.

The interesting part is that year end launch is something that is new to me; I have seen most of the launches timed like Verna - just before festive season, but the way Indian market is panning out, companies are open to the idea of considering every time as "good time" because of liquidity and disposable income among the Indian middle class !

Good run for Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota and JEEP !

Last edited by i74js : 9th November 2017 at 13:38.
Old 9th November 2017, 15:07   #35
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2017 at 10:42.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2017, 15:37   #36
BHPian

Great to see a capable vehicle like the BR-V stabilizing at 1.2k units per month. It might not sell like the Creta, but it surely offers a lot of value with the space maximization.
Old 9th November 2017, 15:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Every month that I see these figures, one thought strikes me. I would love to meet a Mitsubishi dealer. How on earth do they keep their showroom going and sales staff retained when pan India sales across all dealers cumulatively are under 30 cars! Seriously, why even bother?

Well I can definitely tell you how. Case in point Maya Mitsubishi, this used to be the largest Mitsubishi dealer showroom in Chennai. I have seen this showroom since I was a kid.

Over the years to keep going, the owner converted the first floor alone as Mitsubishi showroom and the ground floor front has been a coffee shop, performance shop, car wash, service station, etc., But never did they give up on Mitsubishi for whatever reason.

Finally I guess around last year end the first floor became a Mahindra showroom, the ground floor became a Suzuki two wheeler showroom on one side and a supermarket on the other. The rear is a My TVS service station.

But I think they still service Mitsubishi's, BHPian RajaTaurus would be the correct person to answer this.

Before
October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-images-2.jpeg

Last year
October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-images-3.jpeg

Current
October 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-img_20171109_154254.jpg

As you can see from the second and last picture the owner was unable to upgrade his E-Class all these years and looks like that finally made him give up the Mitsubishi dealership.

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th November 2017 at 16:10.
Shanksta is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 16:07   #38
BHPian

Fantastic analysis of the overall sales as always! If you look at numbers for the new cars from Tata Motors, you will see that they still retain the 4th spot.

Hexa+Nexon+Tiago+Tigor+Zest = 14949 units in October. It is high time they discontinue the other older models. If they can bring in a modern replacement for the Safari (Q501/502), it will surely mean that they can take the fight to Mahindra.

Also, really sad to see the numbers for Nano. It is a very capable product for the urban environs. The market disagrees though!
AdiSolEn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 16:18   #39
BHPian

Some observations:

25k less compared to Sep 2017 sales over all. Festival sales did not impact much looks like.

1. Is it true that Toyota sold only 1973 in June 2017? Just to confirm.

2. Leave that 49% to Maruti. Consider the 51% as 100% and fight for it people! :-)

3. Fiat/Jeep almost touching 1 percent market share. Look how much hard work is needed for this small feat for a market like India. A tough nut to crack for anything other than small cars. Renegade might do a lot of good as well for F/J. Now how about a proper mass market Hatch from Fiat just to show respectable numbers in the table still not loosing its original qualities of an Italian smart engineering? Fiat portfolio now only has Abarth selling NOTHING, Evo/Avventura around 100s and Linea around 30s. Which is sad. Fiat is strong in small but capable small cars just like Suzuki in their own markets. Why Fiat cannot replicate this now with the confidence they have got from Compass? Or simply shut the shop for Fiat and continue Jeep brand? Looks like it IMHO.

4. Tucson is a confirmed flop and so is Tiguan. Both sell 100 pieces a month average. Both may get price correction soon?

5. Happy to see two of the major Desi manufacturers in Top 5. Tata/M&M.

6. For M&M TUV XL will sell in loads for sure but the pricing is the key. Where is the gap? M&M doing a Maruti in UV category. Wish they better improve on the quality and reliability rather than half baked products and horrid design works in TUV XL KUV/NuvoSport/Xylo etc.

M&M Product and Price range currently: (Ex Showroom)
KUV (4.5 lakhs -7.5 lakhs)
Bolero (7.2 lakhs - 8.9 lakhs)
TUV 300 (7.6 lakhs - 10.9 lakhs)
NuvoSport (7.7 lakhs - 10.2 lakhs)
Xylo (8.7 lakhs - 11.12 lakhs)
Scorpio (9.9 lakhs - 15.5 lakhs)
XUV 5OO (12.6 - 18.7 lakhs)

7. Just 23 Pajeros (23 X 30 lakhs average = 66 crores turnover!) for HM/Mitsubishi in Oct 2017. How the dealers survive? How the group survives. Only they know.

8. Nissan needs their Qashqai ASAP. It is very bad to see worlds top 5 car maker selling paltry numbers in Indian market, None of their products is a capable one. Sunny's proportions and unclear positioning is not helping them. My first car was a 1996 Sunny 1.5 liter. I have a soft corner for them, but looking at their portfolio, things do not look good. Very bad strategy by Nissan/Renault and opportunity lost. Datsun at least has 1.2% market share almost on par with Ford/VW, but Datsun products are very low margin ones.

9. Endeavour settles at 600 a month average can be considered still good. But Ford would like 1k atleast to consider that a great success.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Innumerable language errors
sgmuser is online now   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2017, 17:22   #40
BHPian

4 questions pop in my mind-
1) Do the Octavia dispatches of last 3 months also include the Octavia RS? If so then the normal Octavia sales seem to be lower than its usual figures.

2) Why is Tata Hexa lagging in sales by such a huge margin to both the XUV and the Innova? Is it only because of the Tata badge or also because it is heavier than both its rivals so maybe has a significantly lower fuel efficiency (owners correct me if I am wrong here) or maybe Hexa is more cumbersome to drive in city than XUV and Innova (again correct me if I am wrong here) ?
Because apart from that, the Hexa hardly does anything wrong.

3) Does anybody have the figures for luxury car dispatches for October? Would love to see those.

4) Renault did display the Captur in many of its showrooms last month. Does anybody know the dispatch figures for it?

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Typos
zxcv444 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2017, 18:19   #41
BANNED

Question: does "Abarth" in the Fiat column refer to the Punto or the 595? Or both clubbed together? The 595 is still listed on the website and linked from the lineup page (one click from the main page but not directly listed on the main page.
Old 9th November 2017, 21:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

My first attempt at analyzing and commenting on the graphs.

Observations:

1) Surprised to see Mahindra’s top earner has turned out to be Bolero. It’s clear XUV is not gaining traction against the legend Innova despite having price advantage.

2) Honda is no where to be seen even though Brio is gaining on MOM sales. Does this mean their products aren’t really gathering much buyers? Even though they’re renowned for quality, are they falling off the radar because somewhere they’re lacking the X factor their respective competitors are delivering?
Ex:
WRV losing out to Brezza, Ecosport & latest heartbreak kid Nexon?
Likewise Jazz to Baleno, Polo & best premium offering I20?

3) I’m hoping Tata to come up in the charts in the months to come with Tiago currently gathering the focus of customers. Hope Hexa & Nexon to appear on charts. Nexon is doing really well on the overall sales number slowly on the increasing trend. It’s taken few of prospective Brezza customers IMHO.

4) For Maruti, they’re just enjoying wearing the crown on almost all the segments they’re in! Though Swift sales have come down, customers have turned focus on Baleno because of premium offering over the SWIFT. But I believe the refreshed one soon should take the competition to its own sibling Baleno

Even more surprising to me and exciting is the GYPSY still gaining the momentum on MOM sales figures. Hope the successor (correct me if I’m mistaken) Jimny would make the customers proud.

I don’t see Ciaz! Quite a shocker I take despite it being a hot seller for Maruti in the sedan segment. Personally I love the car the way it looks and comforts with luxury.

Brezza sales have fallen in the last two months. Believe the effect is to blame the long waiting period whilst the new hot boy Nexon grabbing the advantage in almost all aspects.

5) Ford is losing on sales with compact SUV market. But I’m counting on refreshed Ecosport to fire up the charts in the coming months. Good to see Endy doing marginally better numbers again on MOM.

6) Frankly Toyota is one of my favorite manufacturer. I’ve always been a great fan of Fortuner for the butch looks it introduced when it hit the Indian soil back then. Innova has taken a firm stand in their sales chart and not allowing the relatively affordable competition to take a space for itself on the chart. However, is fortuner losing out on competition to Endy is the question that’s propelling in my mind for the better package the competition is already on offer.

Another question. When Toyota’s compact sedan Etios being a good receiver for cab population, isn’t that considered in these charts? Is cab sales market kept aside? Because it’s a bit evident cab sales are on the rise and I see atleast 40% of cabs now are Etios. It’s doing well on the overall sales chart whilst not counting 500 a month?

Last edited by gururajrv : 9th November 2017 at 21:19.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
1. Is it true that Toyota sold only 1973 in June 2017? Just to confirm.
Yes, that was to stop the sales to prepare for GST introduction.

Quote:
4. Tucson confirmed flop so do Tiguan. Both sells 100 pieces a month average. Both may get price correction soon?
Tiguan has already sold out for this year in India, the low numbers are due to the supply-demand problem, as others pointed out rightly. Tucson is doing decent numbers, for the price bracket it is in - averaging roughly 150-200 units, which may be what Hyundai also targeted. Remember, Hyundai doesn't have the snob value as the Germans or Toyota to sell in bulk in the above 20L range.

Quote:
7. Just 23 Pajeros (23 X 30 lakhs average = 66 crores turnover!) for HM/Mitsubhishi in Oct 2017. How the dealers survive? How the group survives. Only they know.
You surprised for 66 Cr. turnover? Well, there is a mistake in your calculation buddy, it is "6" Cr. turnover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Ex:
WRV losing out to Brezza, Ecosport & latest heartbreak kid Nexon?
Likewise Jazz to Baleno, Polo & best premium offering I20?
You would be surprised to know that, indeed WR-V is Honda's second best selling car and the one with which Honda has tasted success after a long time (after Amaze).

Quote:
3) I’m hoping Tata to come up in the charts in the months to come with Tiago currently gathering the focus of customers. Hope Hexa & Nexon to appear on charts. Nexon is doing really well on the overall sales number slowly on the increasing trend. It’s taken few of prospective Brezza customers IMHO.
Actually, Nexon has its work cutout with the new Ecosport launching, since Nexon/TUV 300 will be one's which will be impacted, not Brezza.

Quote:
Another question. When Toyota’s compact sedan Etios being a good receiver for cab population, isn’t that considered in these charts? Is cab sales market kept aside? Because it’s a bit evident cab sales are on the rise and I see atleast 40% of cabs now are Etios. It’s doing well on the overall sales chart whilst not counting 500 a month?
The cab sales are also part of the sales volume, but the split-up between private and cab sales are not known and are un-available in public domain.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 23:58   #44
BHPian

Its always great to see how the festive season brought joy and happiness to some automakers, while the rest are preparing for coal in their Christmas stockings, winter is defiantly coming for some maufactures

1)Tata is improving its sales month over month, hard work definitely paying off though the tigor seems to be left behind.
With the shocking prices of the nexon,5 figure sales should not be an issues,but still it will take time for people to trust tata with 10 lakhs, let alone 17+ lakhs for the Hexa, which shows in its dismal sales.

2)Good to see the Ford Aspire outselling the amaze. Since both the aspire and figo have many similarities, does the boot and beige interiors make the aspire the better seller in its segment as compared to the bottom feeding figo?
Ford desperately needs the facelift( better petrol engine+ interiors)ASAP!

The Endeavour at 600 vs 2k+ fortuners is sad. Since the fortuner is riding on reliability(and to some extent manual options), ford should take a leaf out of Hyundai USA and provide longer standard warranty.
Whatever feature deficiency and obeseness can be rectified in the upcoming face lift.

3)The maruti ciaz too needs a facelift and dumping of that mild hybrid nonsense. Its loosing out to the city and re-born again verna.

4) WRV loosing its initial euphoria? I drove the petrol top end. It really dint feel like a compact suv, more like an expensive version of the jazz.It desperately needs the 1.5 petrol to keep its current sales since making it more suv like will require full design change.
Is there any alternative from honda regarding the brio? for how long is it gonna rot? The Nissan micra sold more than it!

And coming to the new xuv500 that has been recently parked in my garage, good to see its maintaining its decent numbers. The competition has increased but its fan following has been propelling it along,but for how long can it sustain?. All it needs now is an all new generation without compromising on its strengths since its the oldest model in its segment.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 10th November 2017 at 00:06.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:54   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I am amazed by the combined growth of D1 and D2 segments in Indian car market. A year ago, D1+D2 total sale was hovering around 6000-6500 cars per month. This is of course primarily led by SUVs - Fortuner, Compass & XUV.
SUVs are totally the flavour of this decade .

Smart product planners saw that the 10 lakh & under segment was too crowded, but there were huge gaps in the 15 - 20 lakh space. Plus, anyone following international trends would have known SUVs / Crossovers will gain in popularity here as well.

The Mahindra XUV500 was one such brilliant move. Superb volumes, fat profit margins & stuffed bank accounts. Or just look at the Creta today.

Tata's biggest blunder was spending all that R&D into the Aria and making it a 'van'. If instead, it was styled as an SUV & better priced, the car's fortunes would've been different. They underestimated the power of the Innova in the pricey MPV space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Well I can definitely tell you how. Case in point Maya Mitsubishi, this used to be the largest Mitsubishi dealer showroom in Chennai. I have seen this showroom since I was a kid.
Nice one, thanks for sharing.

Also, low volume manufacturers are known to support the operating costs of their dealers via 'marketing' payouts. One of the brands that did this was Volvo.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks