Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 10:54   #151
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I went to check Nexon AMT yesterday evening. Nexon XZ+ has little button on both front door handles where you press it and car unlocks. Strangely on XZA+ it was there only on driver side door handle. Any idea why tata has done this?
It's not just XZA+, even the latest XZ+ doesn't have the request sensor on the passenger side door (checked this on a May'18 XZ+). Looks like TML has removed it in the recent batch of vehicles in spite of hike in price.
samschenker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 19:50   #152
BHPian

Guys.. quick update...just booked (Paid in full rather) for an Etna Orange (Dual tone) ....got the feedback plain Etna Orange was only available in Manual (reason being I prefer the Orange plus black roof vs Silver grey and will save money for getting the black wrap).

It has been a tough decision as the process started as we were looking for a change from our city use car (Honda Amaze, 1.2 S AT) which would be compact, easy to drive, with Automatic (mainly so my wife can drive when she wants). One thing was clear it had to be a SUV'ish car to deal with Mumbai potholes and monsoon and be comfortable. It also had to affordable

Key positives of the Nexon - Cute shape (as per the wife..i honestly prefer the Brezza's more traditional look..though is now super common and the Ecosport was never in contention as its not spacious at the back and a really old shape now). I still feel its looks like a large hatch which grew tall!

Debate was if we should for newer options from MG/ KIA/ new baby Creta etc but decided time was now! a used Mini Countryman in the ~15L bracket was also considered but we already have a 3 series at home and wanted a car we could take anywhere and park easily without worrying with low running/maintenance costs.

Never been a Tata customer before and have heard horror stories of the car issues and after sales as well as sharp drop in resale...still decided to take the plunge.

Tata has come a long way, especially in the interiors and aesthetics (rear of the Nexon apart). Perhaps adding some designers from JLR even for short term would be useful.

the Brezza test drive experience, even of the new AMT/AGS was trouble free though all the exterior look is washed away by the plasticity interior. I just wished they had refreshed it as the infotainment system is super. for a nearly 13L car on road it doesn't feel value for money (some extent also true for Nexon) - issue being the wide price band they have to cater for starting at 7L to 13L onroad.

Finally, through some connects at Tata Motors got a quick test drive setup with promise of quick delivery and some extra's thrown in including P2P(No discounts on AMT though). Couple of test drive's we picked the Diesel.
Money transferred~!

Positives:
1. Drive modes are a bit gimmicky (the voice is irritating and cannot be switched off) but add some fun to the drive - Sport is my favorite with a distinct better response, though Manual Shifting was best
2. Good turning circle and easy to park
3. Responsive engine with decent sound deadening (Brezza sounds like a Indica V1 in comparison)
4. Petrol was responsive but Diesel has more grunt, better AMT experience
5. AMT head nod is present but negated with Manual shifting... was a downer vs smooth AT Honda...mileage should make us feel better
6. Interiors more plush than Brezza with decent features... still gaps etc visible
7. Roomy, especially rear though AC blower protrudes into legspace
8. Ride was a slightly sore point, hoping for better cushioning in low speed..though better as speed picks up. Body roll felt but not very bad. Vertical movement is reasonably well contained for passengers.

Still have a some nagging doubts:
1. Any views on the car from owners on LT review? say after 5 or 10K Kms in terms of niggles, reliability etc -- we plan to have the car for about 5 yrs
2. View on resale of the Diesel
3. Any suggestions on where I can pick up some off-roading bits to add some more character and manliness to the car (its my first SUV..well mini SUV if u will)... cree light bar, bumper protecting guard etc. (not the ungainly bull bars though ..no offence to Ajanta)
4. Views on if a sedan like Yaris AT/ City AT etc would have been better!
Delivery Hopefully after 17th (some negative month going on apparently else would have had it this weekend)
5. Any suggestions on improving the ride on slow speeds? (Softer tyres and lesser air pressure maybe?..can do a quick swap from the Goodyears..suggestions on tyres welcome
krish69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 21:06   #153
BHPian

I took a test drive of the Diesel AMT top end version yesterday. I currently have a AMT Celerio so i understand all the hits and misses of what an AMT can offer. My initial impression is that the Diesel AMT drives 70% close to what a conventional CVT would. For a relaxed driver like me, the drive was great and engine had so much to offer. Suspension is bit stiff but Ok for city conditions and highways. The driver view is probably too good given its tall position. For the price and goodies the car has to offer i think its a good value proposition. The interiors look fresh and seating is very comfortable. The audio quality is brilliant and probably best in class. On the niggles side, i did hear a few plastic squeaks on the dash. Being an ex Safari owner, i dread the rattles in the interiors after say 25 -30K Kms. I am keen to hear from any owners who crossed 10k. Overall my feedback is a
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 21:29   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish69 View Post
5. Any suggestions on improving the ride on slow speeds? (Softer tyres and lesser air pressure maybe?..can do a quick swap from the Goodyears..suggestions on tyres welcome
I have an S-Cross and XUV. Using Continental Tyres on both and used on my previous cars as well. MaxContact MC5 on S-Cross (and previously on Tata Manza) and CrossContact on XUV. I know experts on forum vouch for Michelins for comfort and low-noise, I have found MaxContact to be excellent combination of performance, comfort, and durability over fairly long-term usage.
5kmiles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 20:28   #155
BHPian

Took test drives of AMT versions of Nexon petrol, Nexon diesel and Brezza. Brezza interiors and the engine noise filtering in were a let down. Nexon petrol felt super silent, but the diesel Nexon is the best I feel. The modes on the Nexon are good, the sport mode is one you want to be in for any enthusiastic driving. City mode is good enough for point to point commute. Eco mode dulls the engine response too much and any rapid acceleration to close gaps in traffic will be a pain. The steering feel and NVH were pretty decent and beat my expectations about a Tata car.
The only fly in the ointment was the lack of hill hold(even though the sales guys insist there is). They insist you have 3 seconds. But those three seconds are when the car just rolls back.
The on road price is close to 13.5 lakhs in Bangalore including extended warranty and AMC which is quite a lot. While the initial quality is good, can any Nexon owners comment on the incidence of rattles and vibrations after 6 months of use, as this is one issue I feel which can sour the ownership experience.

Last edited by drjkonline : 23rd June 2018 at 20:31. Reason: Grammar
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 17:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

On the fence about booking a Nexon Diesel Automatic.

Dealer only offering insurance at 4999. No other discounts? Recent buyers please PM/ post the deals you guys got?
Old 28th June 2018, 22:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Dealer only offering insurance at 4999. No other discounts? Recent buyers please PM/ post the deals you guys got?
Additionally you can try for waiver of the handling charges, some discount in the P2P/extended warranty and free matings & mud flaps
Jay2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 10:33   #158
BHPian

Quote:

The dealer would give you Zero Dep for 4999. Comprehensive is anyway free. That's the deal that I got for my booking.

No other freebees. However, I have given them a notice that I will be escalating the handling charges issue to Tata to get it reimbursed as its illegal. I have them a heads up so its not an issue with them later.

We also took an addition 3 K corporate discount.

Other than that I don't think you can get any more discount. Maybe 1-2 K more if you make 2 or more dealers fight for your business, but with the Nexon AMT they have plenty sales and are not looking to discount even a bit because they know they will find the next buyer easily, till this car has the buzz .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 11:12   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I got Nil Dep insurance free, Handling charges waived off plus mats and mud flaps free.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 09:40   #160

Almost similar deal for me too. My purchase of XZA+ (D) came with waived Handling charges, free mats & mud flaps and zero depreciation insurance at 7K.
Old 30th June 2018, 22:15   #161
BHPian

Headed to Concorde Motors, Thane to checkout the Nexon D AMT. The sales guy was knowledgeable and very professional and allowed for a longish test drive, good experience overall.

AMT performs best in city mode under sedate to moderate throttle inputs. The shifts are smooth and it makes progress seamlessly. Kick down the throttle and it gives you a downshift as well, neat. I've driven my friend's Celero AMT extensively and this is miles ahead.

However, in sports mode and under spirited driving, I could feel the rubbery / jerky effect between shifts and the resultant loss of power for 2-3 seconds. It's best to drive this in a moderate style.

Overall, this is a great choice for a diesel automatic sub-4m SUV, considering how good an overall package this is, this AMT can easily be lived with for most people.
arun687 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 10:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was on the fence, now am off it.

Decided not to buy the Nexon and the car itself had nothing to do with the decision. The vehicle is brilliant, and there are no doubts about it.

It was the attitude of the dealership and Tata Motors itself.

After the Nexon test drive from M/s K B Motors Kolkata the incident went like this ..

After the test drive , the dealer used car valuation guys wanted to see the old car and I showed them all the papers. Since they wanted photos from all angles, they moved the car forward and took photos of the rear. One of the three persons was driving the car. After the photos were taken, he reversed back into the parking spot. I was standing right next to the vehicle and I told him to leave the car where it was. He did not listen and reversed the vehicle quite hard right into the wall, damaging the rear bumper of my car in the process. The rear bumper actually came off from one side and a couple of clips broke. It is now fixed there with a screw.

So basically these idiots damaged my existing car, in the stupidest possible way. I wrote a complaint to the Tata Motors (customercare@tatamotors.com) regarding this incident, and guess what, no response for the last 15 days. No email reply, no phone call.

Tells me a lot about their "customer care".

I did get an apology phone call from the dealership still trying to get my booking though !

Last edited by AbhiJ : 14th July 2018 at 10:36.
AbhiJ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 17:39   #163
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkonline View Post
The on road price is close to 13.5 lakhs in Bangalore including extended warranty and AMC which is quite a lot.
Test drove the nexon amt and loved it compared to rough sounding amaze cvt. Yes, there are jerks in Nexon, but the engine torque, ride and braking puts a smile on your face. I wish amt was available in other variants also.

I even test drove the manual variant, the clutch is so very light compared to my swift, the engine response and fun is always more in the manual variant.

Still evaluating my options to choose an automatic, currently, nexon is in the top.
Old 15th July 2018, 19:46   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did get an apology phone call from the dealership still trying to get my booking though !
Not sure what you were expecting from Tata motors but if you like the car, why don't you negotiate a better deal for your used car in exchange for the nexon given the mistake they made. If your not buying a car you like because a dealer staff was careless while reversing then your squarely denying yourself something nice ( by your own assessment) for another person's stupidity.
narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 22:04   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Not sure what you were expecting from Tata motors...
I was expecting a reply / concern that a prospective customers property was damaged by their (dealer's) representative. Maybe it was be too much to expect on my part.

If they are not concerned about a prospective customer before a sale, and if the car has a problem after the sale, or the dealer fails to provide support, i wonder how much I can expect from the company.
AbhiJ is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks