Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 19:02   #241
BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
From my test drives of Nexon AMT just before the lockdown, one thing i observed was that the jerkiness has drastically come down vs the BS4 version cars. Especially in the first 2 gears, the BS4 car literally was unbearable and I test drove cars from 2 showrooms and both were the same. However, when i drove the BS6 version, it was smoother. Has anything changed? Did anyone else observe this too?
I've bought the facelift Nexon XM AMT and gearshifts are smooth for the most part unless you go really hard on the throttle. If someone drives with a gentle input, upshifts are seamless(excellent as per AMT standards) and downshifts are smooth as silk. The difference could be because of a small power bump from the BS4 variant though I can be wrong.
k.sumit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 00:08   #242
BHPian

Considering Tata Nexon AMT Diesel but bit apprehensive about the gearbox. Major concern is, shifts should be smooth if not fast.
Can someone share their ownership experience so far and what will be the recommendation or things to look out for while test driving one?
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:53   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Considering Tata Nexon AMT Diesel but bit apprehensive about the gearbox. Major concern is, shifts should be smooth if not fast.
Can someone share their ownership experience so far and what will be the recommendation or things to look out for while test driving one?
I just picked it up (used 2019 diesel) before the lockdown, and have limited experience with it. But right from the word go, have been wondering what exactly folks were talking about wrt the jerks during gear shifting in the AMT. Nothing felt at all, personally. Yes, unless you're in sport mode, you'll have to wait for turbo to kick in for it to move fast, but by no means is it a slouch.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:16   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I use a Nexon AMT diesel since the past two years. Let me tell you as smooth as it is, it is still an AMT and not a proper automatic transmission per se. You will feel a loss of power for a second or so when the car is shifting up just like a manual. You feel it more with AMT because you are not anticipating it unlike a manual. High speed overtakes need planning.
For a city use car, I find the Nexon AMT does quite well. It has adequate power, is easy to drive, fuel efficient and safe.
Take an extended test drive and see how you like the feel on highways and with city use. Based on that, take your call. For me, this is a family beater car so I am ok with the AMT's behaviour so long as other factors are meeting my expectations like safety, reliability, ease of driving/parking and a chiller AC. Good Luck!
thesidmania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:18   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
But right from the word go, have been wondering what exactly folks were talking about wrt the jerks during gear shifting in the AMT. Nothing felt at all, personally.
Good for you zenx, glad you are happy with the AMT on the Nexon.

Which other automatic cars have you owned or extensively driven? Have you experienced other transmissions like the CVT, DCT or torque converter before this AMT.

It would be interesting to know if you have driven other automatics since the irritating AMT jerks are more difficult or impossible to live with (depending upon the person) if you have used them before.

For example, I just couldn’t live with the Ignis Petrol AMT and sold it off since my other car is a Honda Civic. Never driven the Nexon AMT though.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 22:25   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Which other automatic cars have you owned or extensively driven? Have you experienced other transmissions like the CVT, DCT or torque converter before this AMT.

It would be interesting to know if you have driven other automatics since the irritating AMT jerks are more difficult or impossible to live with (depending upon the person) if you have used them before.
A while ago - on the US trips, but not in India. I have heard that the Celerio/Ignis AMT is indeed a little painful, and even on the Nexon the diesel felt a lot smoother than the petrol, thanks to the torque. And yes, there is a drop of power momentarily post the gear shift, but I put that down more to turbo lag (similar to the manual) than to the AMT. Also, hardly noticeable from the 3rd gear up - there's enough torque available.

Last edited by zenx : 6th May 2021 at 22:27.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 23:59   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Good for you zenx, glad you are happy with the AMT on the Nexon.

For example, I just couldn’t live with the Ignis Petrol AMT and sold it off since my other car is a Honda Civic. Never driven the Nexon AMT though.

Cheers
Your point is spot on, the ones who dislike AMTs are ones who have experience with smoother automatics like CVT/TQ, and that's expected.

My family owns 2 AMTs, my dad's Alto K10 AMT & mine Nexon P AMT and we all are happy with it. Alto's 4.5yr old & Nexon 2+yrs, no problem so far with AMTs.
My take - expectations, just have them right & you'll be happy! We just consider AMTs as clutchless manuals - that's it!! So it's like someone else is pressing the clutch & changing the gears for you, so expect the lag. Just don't compare it to other autos, there are many reasons to be disappointed.

And I've driven AMTs in every terrain, from steep mountains up north to smooth highways down south, or congested Bangalore city roads... no reason to complain so far, as again set your expectations right!

Last edited by asethi : 7th May 2021 at 00:02.
asethi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 12:55   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
3 years with the AMT Petrol now. I came from 5 years with the DCT, and have a lot of experience with the DQ250, Honda CVT and bigger Torque Convertors.
While the DSG is utterly smooth, and Torque Convertors with powerful engines are very desirable, in the segment that NEXON plays in the AMT is quite appropriate.

Who the AMT doesn't work well for is a driver who doesn't develop a feel for the torque band of the engine, who won't put in the effort to learn how to blip the throttle to get the gearbox to shift at the right time, or how to hold the throttle at a point to prevent a shift; basically someone who drives in a very linear, uninvolved manner.
For anyone who puts in the initial effort to understand this power-train and develop the corresponding muscle memory, the Nexon AMT is a very rewarding product - the shifts are predictable and to a large extent within your control, the head-nod is almost imperceptible. In fact, for the segment it performs really well. That said the state of tune of the 'City' mode sucks, and my spirited driving style has no use for it.

However, I completely agree that for an uninvolved driver something like the DSG or CVT can be far more appealing, but a mediocre engine with a TC or CVT can simply not match the performance of the Nexon, especially on Mountain roads.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 13:09   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
However, I completely agree that for an uninvolved driver something like the DSG or CVT can be far more appealing, but a mediocre engine with a TC or CVT can simply not match the performance of the Nexon, especially on Mountain roads.
Not knocking on your statement of course, you have put forth your honest views and I found it genuinely thought provoking, if not a bit curiosity inducing.

ALL engines and transmissions have their fanbase, as wonderful as that is, there is no two ways about the fact that quick massive torque and accurate pedal responses are what people pay more money for. It's slightly off that everytime I find myself discussing easy drivability, people say that's for uninvolved drivers, stuff like making the VTEC sing, modulating AMT, modulating CVT pedals etc etc, I never got it, and if people genuinely love those engines and transmissions, kudos to their well efforted and systematic driving skills, it's something I have no patience for and if that's uninvolved driving then I'm happily guilty.

Me? I want a car that flies off the throttle, just hitting a ton in well under 2k RPM with aggressive tuning, an effortless drive. Not been very happy with any car I drove, the Maserati V8, Audi TT and the Hyundai Kona Electric in Sports were exceptions because of brutal throttle kickback,now that's a head nod I dig.

Uninvolved fellow drivers are always welcome to my club
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 13:47   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

ALL engines and transmissions have their fanbase, as wonderful as that is, there is no two ways about the fact that quick massive torque and accurate pedal responses are what people pay more money for. It's slightly off that everytime I find myself discussing easy drivability, people say that's for uninvolved drivers, stuff like making the VTEC sing, modulating AMT, modulating CVT pedals etc etc, I never got it, and if people genuinely love those engines and transmissions, kudos to their well efforted and systematic driving skills, it's something I have no patience for and if that's uninvolved driving then I'm happily guilty.

Me? I want a car that flies off the throttle, just hitting a ton in well under 2k RPM with aggressive tuning, an effortless drive. Not been very happy with any car I drove, the Maserati V8, Audi TT and the Hyundai Kona Electric in Sports were exceptions because of brutal throttle kickback,now that's a head nod I dig.

Uninvolved fellow drivers are always welcome to my club
Oh, I absolutely get it and agree - I would love it too if the power-train of my car can accommodate and compensate for relatively uninvolved driving. But that comes at a significant cost is what I have found, and certainly not to be found in the 8-15 lakh segment, unless you make other compromises with the overall product.
The products in this segment that we are looking at here, mostly receive under-powered engines or engines tuned for economy than performance. Good engines have almost gone missing from this segment, and mostly one needs to spend about double for that nowadays.
Point is AMT's need a bit of effort to master so it may not be for everyone, but quite rewarding once that effort is made.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 14:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I've driven AMTs in every terrain, from steep mountains up north to smooth highways down south, or congested Bangalore city roads, no reason to complain so far, as again set your expectations right!
Quote:
the shifts are predictable and to a large extent within your control, the head-nod is almost imperceptible.
Quote:
Point is AMT's need a bit of effort to master so it may not be for everyone, but quite rewarding once that effort is made.
“One persons food is another persons poison” This is exactly what we are talking about folks.

For me “the head nod is almost imperceptible” is simply not acceptable. This statement by Roy_libran means you do feel it, but choose to ignore or live with it. As far as I am concerned, I am never buying an AMT car again.

In my opinion there is no way to eliminate the “head nod” in AMT’s for the first two gears at least, however you drive. AMT’s work this way, period. A persons tolerance of this feature of the AMT is what determines the outcome. Understandably if one needs to work within a budget and requires a automatic then I guess there is no alternative but an AMT.

To each his/her own, there can be no agreement, understanding or driving around this aspect

Cheers

P. S. - Our discussion is deviating from the thread, last post from my side on this.

Last edited by Cyborg : 7th May 2021 at 14:19.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:02   #252
BHPian

I am in a dilemma to choose between good engine (nexon amt) vs good automatic (altroz dca). I am not sure if NA engine with 86PS power and 113NM torque is sufficient for me. (Currently I enjoy driving sedately but not sure how it goes in future when I need to overtake)
What are your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks