Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 07:22   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon AMT

That mustard colour looks awesome but I don't know/think I have the flair to drive around a car in this colour !
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:54   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon AMT

I test drove the Tata Nexon AMT Petrol XZA version on Saturday evening. After starting from Tiago, then Tigor, then Ignis (madness!), then Amaze Petrol CVT and finally the Nexon, it looks like Nexon is where I might plonk my money.
It is the best built, drives well, spacious enough, responsive in Sport mode, good ergonomics, and overall the best value amongst all of these - particularly in the XMA variant.
Still awaiting final on road process on this new variant, but it is likely to be in the ball park of 8.7 lacs, which is sweet!
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 14:40   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I own one (XZA+) and drive-ability is pretty good as long as you are in the right drive mode. For e.g, Eco mode is ill-suited for spirited driving and aggressive over-taking (of course). City mode works very well in heavy traffic conditions. As expected, the Eco mode is the least preferred, but does its job if you want a laid-back drive on a highway (not recommended for city traffic conditions). As long as you are not hard on the accelerator, the gear changes are smooth.

I can't comment on the fuel efficiency since 400+ kilometers I have driven is too short to derive any conclusions. But I am certain to spend lot more on fuel with this than the Linea Diesel I had before. For my office drive (part highway + city traffic conditions), the MID shows around 13.5 with AC on all the time and a combination of City + Sports mode and moderately light-footed driving. For a similar drive, my Linea would give around 18 km/l. But. am also expecting the 13.5 km/l figure to go up after the first two services.
How's the driveability of the petrol AMT in terms overtaking on highway, does it hunt for the right gear? Also, in city traffic is the torque of the petrol motor enough to crawl it at under 10kmph?
Old 27th July 2018, 15:34   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
How's the driveability of the petrol AMT in terms overtaking on highway, does it hunt for the right gear? Also, in city traffic is the torque of the petrol motor enough to crawl it at under 10kmph?

Both in city mode and Sports mode, overtaking works pretty well. But not so well in the Eco mode (of course). So, if you think of putting it in the Eco mode for cruising and then want to up the speed for over-taking, you need to change the mode first. I tried lamely in the Eco mode a couple of time and found wanting and had to pull back to my lane. Not the car's fault, obviously.

For city driving, teknicsand has already answered your questions in this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4434705 (Tata Nexon : Official Review)
Old 28th July 2018, 00:46   #185
BHPian

What would be the real life fuel efficiency difference between the manual and amt diesel versions of the Nexon?
Old 28th July 2018, 12:41   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
What would be the real life fuel efficiency difference between the manual and amt diesel versions of the Nexon?
I think it would be next to impossible to get that figure. Technically speaking, if you can manoeuvre it in a way the gear shifts are same in AMT as you would in a manual, it should be the same. But who can that? When I am in manual, I cruise one moment and the next I know, I downshift for overtaking. Right after that, I am back to sedate mode. But the AMT can't be trained to do all that.

The answer is, only you can find out by driving both cars in similar conditions and in same manner. My advice: don't worry about that small amount of money, which you have to pay for the convenience.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 18:32   #187
BHPian

The Tata Nexon AMT

Quote:
I think it would be next to impossible to get that figure. Technically speaking, if you can manoeuvre it in a way the gear shifts are same in AMT as you would in a manual, it should be the same. But who can that? When I am in manual, I cruise one moment and the next I know, I downshift for overtaking. Right after that, I am back to sedate mode. But the AMT can't be trained to do all that.

The answer is, only you can find out by driving both cars in similar conditions and in same manner. My advice: don't worry about that small amount of money, which you have to pay for the convenience.

Thanks for the information. Want to buy the Nexon Amt as the daily city driving option in replacement of my Petrol hungry i20 1.2. This is will be mostly chauffeur driven. Thus, I was comparing between manual and amt .
Old 28th July 2018, 22:20   #188
BHPian

Quote:
The fuel effiency of the AMT will be on par with the manual.
Old 29th July 2018, 14:30   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Want to buy the Nexon Amt as the daily city driving option in replacement of my Petrol hungry i20 1.2. This is will be mostly chauffeur driven. Thus, I was comparing between manual and amt .
Will it be petrol or diesel? Regardless of that, if you are going to hire a driver, why bother with AMT?
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 20:59   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be petrol or diesel? Regardless of that, if you are going to hire a driver, why bother with AMT?
Maybe he cares for the driver too, or believes (as I do) that the clutch and gearbox of an "automatic" will likely be less abused if the car is primarily chauffeur driven.

I didn't realise that the i20 1.2L is petrol-hungry. I drove the original 1.2 from Delhi to Agra and back on the same day via the expressway recently, but didn't check the average. Found the car to be quite good. The engine needs to be pushed but it doesn't feel stressed due to the sheer refinement. I was alone though, a full house might be a different story.

Nexon will be a step up (no pun intended) in ride but I'm not sure of the seats. The old i20 seats were great and these days seat contouring appears to be the first casualty of cost cutting. The older Tatas had decent seats let down by poor ergonomics, but the i20 seat was a real revelation. I felt no fatigue or pain. Would appreciate feedback from other i20/Hyundai + Nexon owners, because the driver seats in the Rapid/Vento honestly aren't that great for longer drives (my experience, no offence intended).
Old 7th August 2018, 19:22   #191
Senior - BHPian

IMPRESSED!

shortbread is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 10:11   #192
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please point me towards the Water Wading Depth of the Nexon Petrol AMT? Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2018, 16:58   #193
BHPian

I m in for a decent automatic (for Bangalore traffic) with high ground clearance (for Bangalore roads).
Shortlisted:
1. Tata Nexon (Petrol XZA+)

2. Vitara Brezza (ZDI+)
3. Duster CVT

Did an almost back to back test drive of these three. The feeling that I got after driving Nexon was "Awesome". Ofcourse, the looks and interior quality is subjective. In my view, Nexon ticked in following aspects:
1. Drive in the city mode of Nexon was simply superb. I drive Polo TDI on daily basis and not a petrol head. Even then, the kind of overtaking ability and ability to move as I wanted was simply wow factor to me. City and Sport modes of Nexon have much better drive experience than Brezza!!!. I my self could not believe it, till I drove this 1.2 Revotron, mated with AMT.
At the end of the test drive I kept saying "awesome"
2. Music system is simply outstanding on Nexon, however FM could not really get the best of the music system, while I played some songs from my phone, it was simply great sound. So, Music system is better than the other two.

It's crazy that I am comparing Petrol Nexon AMT with Diesel Brezza AMT. However, I had no affinity to either fuel systems (probably because, my average monthly travel is limited and as we are seeing the difference in fuel prices are also reducing). In my personal view, Nexon Petrol AMT had much to offer over Diesel Brezza.

Now, coming to price point, Petrol Nexon AMT XZA+ (ST), on road is 11.95L, in Bangalore, while Brezza Diesel AMT ZDI+ is around 13.4L.

Once again, to compare petrol and diesel, but Nexon was simply outstanding

Last edited by ssbshankar : 23rd September 2018 at 16:58. Reason: typo
ssbshankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 07:16   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the real time FE for the Petrol and Diesel AMT variants? By now we must be having enough users on the forum to update these figures.
Old 27th September 2018, 08:39   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the real time FE for the Petrol and Diesel AMT variants? By now we must be having enough users on the forum to update these figures.
Petrol AMT -
Easily 11-12 kmpl in City conditions. For a patient driver (feather foot) it's around 13.
14-15 on expressways, driving within 2500 rpm (130-140 kmph). 16-17 kmpl if within 2000 rpm (100 kmph) with slow acceleration.

Not bad at all, in my books, especially for such a heavy car.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed