Team-BHP - Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/192452-cars-give-you-pushed-into-seat-feeling-2.html)

The car that started the diesel revolution - the fist generation Swift Diesel @ 2000 rpm. Loved it :)

The "shove in the back" feeling doesn't have a benchmark. i.e someone who is so used to modified cars, will find a 100bhp boring.

But, in India, I'd correlate the feeling towards anything upwards of ~~250-300NM of torque and/or ~130-50bhp of power.

I don't or haven't driven many cars or high end cars. Here are few cars that gives the "shove in the back feeling" for me.

1) Swift - It spoiled me and made me a diesel fan. I loved the torque surge.
2) Fiesta - Coming from the Swift, it was mega for me.
3) Vento/Jetta - Insane is the word. I find it a bit uncomfortable since it's not a shove, it's like someone used a sledgehammer on your back.
4) Ecosport - Comfortable since the surge isn't all that brutal.
5) Creta - One reason why I love the 1.6 motor from Hyundai - comfortable yet brutal at the same time.
6) Grand i10 (petrol) - "Shove in the back feeling"? What's that?

Like others have mentioned, almost all diesel cars will give that feeling. Will be interesting to see the ones from the petrol rides.

I am surprised, the most powerful diesel hatchback for years hasn't been mentioned yet.

Hyundai Getz CRDI 110 BHP 240Nm :D
The car that made me a hardcore diesel head.

Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling-kps_8314.jpg

Amongst the "affordable" mainstream cars, the TSI engines in the Polo and the Octavia (and of course, the erstwhile Laura) give you that 'Shove in the back' feeling. The Abarth Punto also surges with a sense of urgency that's alien to cars under 15 lakhs.

However, the experiences I've had with two specific cars, namely the Audi RS6 Avant and the Volvo S60 Polestar, are etched in my memory for life!

The RS6 in particular was incredibly brutal off the line, and in spite of the Quattro tech and the barrage of electronic safety nets reigning all them horses, the car squirmed under hard braking at high speeds. And mind you, I'd just jumped into the Audi R8 and tickled the 280 km/h mark briefly, and the RS6 still felt more brutal off the line.

I still drive a 2011 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi and it gives slight shove (if you can call it that) even in 4th gear when driven enthusiastically on highways. But serious shove I felt was with the 2nd gen Accord 3.6 auto which one of my friends owned. It was relentless till 80 kph in the city when I ran short of road due to traffic. God bless us BHPians to experience such pleasure for long till electric cars make commuting boring and silent.

Basically, all NA cars would have to step out of this thread, or just be mute spectators ! :uncontrol

To me, the Jetta 2.0 TDI and the old Verna's 1.5 CRDI with 110 PS provide the best 'flight take-off' feel.

The Verna test drive I had back in 2008 was a revelation, and to this day, whenever a flight completes taxiing and goes full throttle to take-off, I still think of the old Verna - not bluffing. I missed owning that pocket rocket, as my father chose the Honda City over that private jet, Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8763 (Post 4305494)
God bless us bhpians to experience such pleasure for long till electric cars make commuting boring and silent.

They maybe silent, but make no mistake - Electric cars have huge amounts of torque right from the start, and can give the internal combustion engines a run for their money when it comes to shoving-in-your-seat feel.

I'm glad that the humble Laura TSI that found it's way in the list which I possess. Just reading this thread makes me wanna drive her on a open road. What a rush!

Car's I've driven with shove in the back:

Entry level shove: Polo 1.6 GT TDI, Vento and Rapid in their original states of tune.

Mid level shove: Octavia 1.8 and VRS

High level shove: Porsche 911 and 718 (lucky enough to drive both of them last weekend), 530 D, Volvo T6 etc.

Highest Level shove: The most Violent KICK in the back (can't call it shove in the back by any stretch of imagination) has been the RS7. That car redefines the meaning of "shove in the back".

Link to the review of the RS7.

Quote:

I still drive 2011 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi and it gives slight shove ( if u can call that) even in 4th gear when driven enthusiastically on highways.

I’ve only ever properly driven two cars and my 2012 Verna is the only one I have experienced this feeling in. It is not as pronounced as the Chevrolet Cruze (first generation) but it still is fun to experience.

Currently SCro 1.6 gives that glued to seat experience.

However that is nothing compared to the God sent insane acceleration Ford Mustang that I used to have in 2007. If I didn't have a Mustang that day, I wouldn't be typing the experience here now

Is the title correct? Shove in the back literally means getting pushed forward, which will happen only in case of sudden braking!

We all love the getting pinned in the car seat by sudden acceleration, which is push from the front.

Thread title should be shove in the chest or pull in the back.

That said, SCross 1.6 gave me the feeling of how I felt when I first rode Ninja 300 - the getting out of hand feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4305365)
... Probably one of the last fun to drive diesel cars before the hybrids and pure electric take over. Savour it!.....

Quote:

.... God bless us bhpians to experience such pleasure for long till electric cars make commuting boring and silent.

The best in terms of brutal acceleration is yet to be experienced on electric cars.

Silent? Yes, Boring? Never. Electric motors will give electrifying thrill due to its very nature (max torque right from zero rpm!). The boring perception is due to cars/contraptions like Reva, E2O etc. Newer entrants and scaled up production will be a game changer towards enjoyable electric cars.

IC fuel burning engines will find it hard to match the raw power of a comparable electric motor.

The only glitch is the nascent battery technology to power the hungry yet efficient electric motor, but rapid advances are being made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 4305497)
The Verna test drive I had back in 2008 was a revelation, and to this day, whenever a flight completes taxiing and goes full throttle to take-off, I still think of the old Verna - not bluffing.

I agree. Is the new fluidic Verna not in the same league? I haven't driven later ones. BTW, Honda Accord V6 (2003-07), despite being automatic, gives same plane-on-a-take-off-run feeling. It spins wheels even in 2nd gear. It's a different thing that its suspension can't cash the cheques the engine writes out. :) But, it's brutal in straight line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 4305608)
I agree. Is the new fluidic Verna not in the same league? I haven't driven later ones.

Somehow, despite making more power and torque, the Fluidic Verna was much more linear and had lesser turbo-lag. Hence the pushed-to-your-seat feel was also lower.