Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 15:30   #61
BHPian

Re: Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling

I have not driven a lot of such cars, but out of what I have experienced, Tesla Model S (P85D) was the king of all good times! If you get a chance, do not miss it. What is impressive is, 0 to 60 and 60 to 100 [of course 100 to 200 as well though I did not try it] has the same punch.
dileepcm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 15:41   #62
BHPian

The Ritz 1.3 Multijet. The turbo lag (or rather power kick) at around 1800 rpm. Would throw the driver and passengers back....Super car!
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 15:57   #63
BANNED

Some cars which I believe have got some real power and they are all turbocharged, the mass market NA cars are better left this time (only the cars I have driven are given a place in the list):

Past kings:
  • Getz CRDi
  • Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi
  • Verna CRDi
  • Chevrolet Cruze VCDi
  • Audi A4 3.0 V6 TDi - Now this is a car to experience
  • Audi Q7 4.2 TDi - This is a true war horse, that brute force with which it pulls you ahead is just unmatched
  • Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi
  • Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDi (The 2013-15 one)
  • The one in my signature

Today:
Let me accept that those golden days are gone and so is gone that raw power, it is all electronic and way more civilized now:
  • VW Ameo TDi
  • Octavia 1.8 TSi
  • BMW 328i
  • BMW 530D
  • Maruti suzuki S Cross 1.6

If I have to vote today, then VW TSi is probably the best motor I have ever driven, if I take all the factors into consideration.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:40   #64
BHPian

Don't know whether this question is out-of-place in this thread, but which is the poor man's BMW at this moment in India, for those who do not have the money to spend on a 320D? Ocatvia vRS? Linea T-jet?, VW GTi?
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:45   #65
BHPian

My current cars both have that feeling. One is a remapped Jetta with close to 190bhp and 400nm. The other is the 320d. In the Jetta I see traction control taking over every now and then. I really haven't tried it on a highway (except nice road). Believe the 0-100 should be close to the 320.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Don't know whether this question is out-of-place in this thread, but which is the poor man's BMW at this moment in India, for those who do not have the money to spend on a 320D? Ocatvia vRS? Linea T-jet?, VW GTi?

Go for new Linea T-Jet . I would love to own that car someday .
autohead666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:58   #67
BHPian

Of all the cars I have driven - the C63 has given me a pushed back...no...even more than that - forcefully pinned back into the seat and held there with a wide smile on the face feeling! It was mental - and with the ceramic brakes, one could go really fast.....till the inevitable speed breaker cropped up!

Among more sane and regular cars,

1. The first Verna had an insane turbo kick
2. The Zen Vxi was a rocket
3. The Polo GT TSI is similar(have not driven the TDI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
I have not driven a lot of such cars, but out of what I have experienced, Tesla Model S (P85D) was the king of all good times! If you get a chance, do not miss it. What is impressive is, 0 to 60 and 60 to 100 [of course 100 to 200 as well though I did not try it] has the same punch.
The Tesla S has a sweet pickup no doubt but at the cost of blasphemy, I felt it was as interesting to drive as a golf cart!
car.lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 17:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Here is my list of cars that I have either sat in or driven through, and every single once of them have given me that Pinned To The Seat bliss:
  • First-gen Verna 1.5 CRDI: Drove this within a month of buying a Santro, and regretted my purchase for the next 4 years!!
  • Getz 1.5 CRDI: Similar experience and thought process, but the saving grace was that Hyundai had pulled the plug on this one.
  • Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TDCi: If it was not for the parking constraint, I would have had one for myself, the day I drove it.
  • Skoda Laura vRS: Just one spin in this car and I almost ended up agreeing for an EMI greater than my monthly take home back then!!
  • VW Jetta 2.0 TDI: One of the few cars that I thoroughly enjoyed as a co-passenger with an enthusiastic pal behind the wheel, showing off the prowess of this 2.0 TDI.
  • VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI: The Best for the Last, and 50K kms in less than 40 months!! Need I say more ??
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 17:32   #69
BHPian

My new S60 Polestar above every other car i own .
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 17:44   #70
BHPian

Wow. Thanks for the response guys! Didn’t expect the thread to blow up in such a way! Makes me realise how enthusiastic we bhpians really are towards fun to drive cars.

Btw, would like to mention about bikes as well. The Duke/RC 200. Brilliant machine. Pickup is brutal. I have a Duke 390 but I found the Duke 200 to be way more fun and responsive.

Of course, like supercars, superbikes are in a different league all together.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 15th November 2017 at 17:59.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 18:34   #71
BHPian

Merc C250D in Sports+ mode, when floored - sprints like a dart.
The moment you engage the 'D', you can feel the car getting ready for action with a little jerk, the hood raises a bit and floor it and you get the kick where you enjoy the most

I do it when I stopped at the lights and got pole position. The traffic neighbors will be reduced to tiny specs on the rear view in no time.
Old 15th November 2017, 19:13   #72
BHPian

I have not driven a large number of cars/bikes but from my limited experience, I would like to include the following machines in the list:
1. Cars
a. VW Vento Diesel
b. Last gen Octavia
c. S Cross 1.6

2. Bikes
a. CBR650F
b. Yamaha R3
c. RC 390
d. Pulsar 220 DTS-i

Keep driving.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 20:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Palm Beach road, pole position at the signal and a clean launch in the GT TSI caused the water bottle at the driver side bottle holder to jump out and land on my lap

Personal best experience was as a passenger in a Tesla Model S P90D taxi (!) in Denmark, when the driver graciously demonstrated its vicious relentless 0-60 km/hr shove

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 15th November 2017 at 21:01.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 04:12   #74

Man this has got be one of my favorite topics! My experience with my Dodge Charger has been absolutely amazing. I've been pushed back every time I step on the accelerator pedal.

The first time I did that was in a back road and I wanted to check the 0-60MPH timing of my car. As soon as I floored the car took off pushing me deep into the seat. The best I've achieved is 4.8s on stock tires which are pretty bad in my opinion.

Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling-img_3617.jpg
Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling-img_3627.jpg

I've also been fortunate enough to drive some other sports cars like the new X5M which churns out 567BHP and an M2 which has 365BHP. People simply don't refer to BMW as the ultimate driving machine. It truly is! The way the cars handle is phenomenal and they are so nimble. I fell more confident driving the X5M than when I'm driving my Charger!
prakyath89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 07:48   #75
BHPian

Few cars I have driven that I remember are

1. A friends Hyundai Accent CRDi, he had bought it used with over 100,000 kms on it, still was a beast and was fun
2. Chevrolet Optra Magnum and Cruze, test driven many times, never owned one

The crown jewel for me was my Hyundai Elantra CRDi, acceleration in all gears even when cruising at 140kmph, insane car. The only car I owned which could be called a sleeper.

Recently test drove a 2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo auto here in Sydney, another sleeper with insane acceleration and well kitted too. Reliability was a question and ended up not buying.

Most Viewed