Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:38   #31
BHPian

Re: BS-VI cars vs electric cars

What we forget in such debates is the efficeincy of the machine itself. An ICE is about 26-30% efficient. Till the time it reaches the wheels, this is at 22% max. But an electric car will have an Efficiency of about 65% at wheels. This is like a typical electric car is about 3 times more efficient than a typical ICE car.
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 21:11   #32
BHPian

Re: BS-VI cars vs electric cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Again what’s not answered is how would the emissions be reduced by hybrids ?
Ultimately the future is electric
We need to Accept it or get ICED
I fully support the EV vision of our Government but I think 2030 is an aggressive target, just 12 years to go.

I think so because of our current state. 40% of government schools don't have electricity. Rural areas are deprived of electricity. Cities too face power outage. Our current population is 1330 million and 12 years from now ? think about the demand. We are struggling to provide safe railway network (in this era of technology, head on collisions happen here). How safe can we implement EV power distribution in such a short span? The questions are many but I fully support the Government, we need aggressive targets to speed up closing the gaps.

My worry is what if we could not meet the target by 2030. Let us say we achieved 50%EV what would be the remaining 50%? Most likely they will be full hybrids. If we don't support them today we kill indigenous technology development. By 2030 will fall short in international competition and end up buying from them.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 22nd November 2017 at 21:22. Reason: Rephrasing
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed